Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t really like many modern cars, certainly ones within my price range, but the 124 really caught my eye from the off … good-looking, different and (relatively) affordable to me. I loved the clear styling cues from the original 124 which I’d always admired as a classic. Unfortunately, having just set up in business, the launch timing couldn’t have been worse. I knew I’d have to wait a few years until depreciation had taken effect before I could really justify buying a used one as a second car, so pretty much had to forget all about it.

Fast forward 3 years. I still wasn’t planning to buy just yet, but got a little spooked when I belatedly discovered they’d been withdrawn from sale here in the UK. I already knew they were very thin on the ground so figured I’d better get a move on if I wanted to get a decent low mileage example in my preferred colour and spec. It took a few months, but late one night there it was in the classifieds – just what I was looking for and only 350 on the clock (had been sitting in the owners garage virtually unused for 18 months). Got on the phone first thing and after a few checks figured I couldn’t really go too far wrong so bought it there and then!

Thankfully it was every bit as good as I’d hoped it would be and well worth the 3 year wait and 650 mile round trip! Given that I saved just shy of £10k off the original price for what was still a virtually brand new car made it all the sweeter. Exceptional value for money. It may not be considered a ‘thoroughbred’ or carry a ‘prestige’ badge, but I honestly don’t care – it’s still a pretty exclusive car and feels very special to me. As with most things in life that don’t come easy, I really appreciate what I’ve got here and will cherish it accordingly. If all goes well I’ll be keeping it for a very long time.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and share the story of my road to ownership. It’s so good to have a site like this and hear from so many other enthusiastic owners who are willing to freely contribute their time, opinions and expertise. I’ve learnt so much already, so thank you all very much and I’ll certainly do my best to participate in the months and years ahead.

IMG_2222[1].JPG
JYWM7658[1].JPEG
YLEX3686[1].JPEG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wecome (from Ontario Canada) Phil - you have a great looking car there. I have owned my Spider since June this year, and like you, got a great deal on a very gently used auto. Feels great every day I pull it out of the garage. Enjoy!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome @Phil B hope you enjoy your new Spider. My normal philosophy is to buy used, not new, but when the new 124 Spider was launched, I couldn't resist buying new...

Unfortunately the Passione Red paintwork on the Anniversary model I bought first was in bad condition, in the end I sold it back to the dealer and bought the Italia Blue Lusso Plus I have now. Make sure you clean that paintwork very carefully! And since car has been modified already (the 124 grille badge ;) ) you might as well add some more modifications...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome! Always great to see another Lusso, and that's a beauty! I bought mine in early July and have put 3,000 miles on it already just driving it almost daily. Absolutely love everything about this car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm in Lincolnshire as well (the Lincoln area to be exact), so if you see a silver Abarth, then that's probably me lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts