Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Vendor
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have Eibach springs on my 124, so I feel that I can give a pretty good comparison with the H&Rs I ran on my red car.

Both are high quality parts, the H&Rs lower the car a little more 1.2" at the front and 1.1" at the rear, vs .8 at both ends for the Eibachs. In terms of pure performance I have to give the nod to the slightly lower and stiffer H&Rs. It's not much of a difference, but I do notice it. In terms of ride quality, the Eibachs are slightly better, in fact, it seems exactly the same as with the stock 124 Abarth suspension. I did notice a very minor decrease in ride quality with the H&Rs, but I didn't mind it, and it was really minor and you would only notice it on certain roads.

I prefer the H&Rs, but not by enough to remove the Eibachs and switch then out. The springs are the only suspension mod on my 124 Abarth. It's handling is nowhere near the handling I had with my red 124, which had H&Rs plus Eibach anti-sway bars. So for street performance, that's still my suggested set up, although the Eibachs are a good option, and if I add in the anti-sways, that should bring it up to the level of performance I want.

For a lot of people, I think the Eibachs may be a better choice. The ride height is a little more street friendly and the better ride may matter to some people.

Greg

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/coll...ension/products/h-r-lowering-springs-fiat-124

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-suspension/products/eibach-pro-kit-fiat-124

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I like the ride quality and height on my stock Lusso, but I would like to eliminate some body roll. What are your thoughts on installing just the sway bars?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think skipping spring and shock upgrades and going straight to the anti-sway bars will give good results.

Greg
Thanks Greg. It’s something I’d like to do in the future, but man that front bar install LOL.

·
Vendor
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the Eibachs, they are a good price, easier to install than the Progress bars, and have enough range of adjustment for any street and part time track car. I actually used them on the most mild setting.

Greg

·
Banned
2,830 Posts
Would the Eibach springs be compatible even if I get 215/55 tires on stock abarth wheels?

Thanks Greg.

·
Banned
2,830 Posts
I think that would be a happy medium. Taller tires filling the gap + springs, without a harsher ride.

·
Banned
2,830 Posts
215/55 (like my Civic 2017) for a more compliant ride over bad, uneven and rough roads in Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Having run both Eibach and H&R (not on the same car, but in various vehicles) I've found the Eibach's tend to be a little soft for the amount they lower, and the H&Rs slightly stiffer. I used to bottom out in my Spirit with Eibach springs until supplimenting with air bags, which were NEEDED when towing my Jet Ski after putting in the Eibachs. On something I plan to race or want to tune more, I try to find some high quality coilovers. There are A LOT of options for the 124 thanks to the popularity of the Mazda MX-5.

·
Vendor
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having run both Eibach and H&R (not on the same car, but in various vehicles) I've found the Eibach's tend to be a little soft for the amount they lower, and the H&Rs slightly stiffer. I used to bottom out in my Spirit with Eibach springs until supplimenting with air bags, which were NEEDED when towing my Jet Ski after putting in the Eibachs. On something I plan to race or want to tune more, I try to find some high quality coilovers. There are A LOT of options for the 124 thanks to the popularity of the Mazda MX-5.
There is no question that for track action, coil-overs and anti-sway bars are the way to go. However I would argue that for a street car that's only occasionally driven at the track, the H&R springs with upgraded anti-sway bar combo is a pretty good setup. It's about a 1000 bucks less and I think it's better for daily driving. Of course at EC, we have a lot of options in coil-overs, including the new H&R coil-overs.

The main problem I have with coil overs on a street car is that typically the highest setting for ride height is lower than the ride height provided by the H&R or Eibach spring kits. That's great for the track, because you can set the car as low as you could possibly want it, but I find that the highest setting is actually a bit too low for a real road daily driver. For serious track action, coil-overs, 100% no question, but for a street car, maybe not.

Greg

·
Banned
2,830 Posts
It is 2 sizes taller, and the wheel well seems pretty big...but don’t have the car yet, can’t test it...

These 6 months are gonna kill me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It is 2 sizes taller, and the wheel well seems pretty big...but don’t have the car yet, can’t test it...

These 6 months are gonna kill me.
6 months you hope. Ordering cars, been there.

·
Banned
2,830 Posts
Indeed I hope...2019s are already being delivered, hope that means I can maybe get a modicum of a discount.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A big red box containing my new Eibach swaybars arrived in the post today, it's starting to feel like Christmas already!

I'm guessing for street/everyday use I will need to set both front/back to the "soft" setting? Has anyone got any tips/tricks on the installation they can share? The front Anti-roll bar looks particularly complex/tricky to install....and mine's a rhd

Thank you :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.