Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have Eibach springs on my 124, so I feel that I can give a pretty good comparison with the H&Rs I ran on my red car.

Both are high quality parts, the H&Rs lower the car a little more 1.2" at the front and 1.1" at the rear, vs .8 at both ends for the Eibachs. In terms of pure performance I have to give the nod to the slightly lower and stiffer H&Rs. It's not much of a difference, but I do notice it. In terms of ride quality, the Eibachs are slightly better, in fact, it seems exactly the same as with the stock 124 Abarth suspension. I did notice a very minor decrease in ride quality with the H&Rs, but I didn't mind it, and it was really minor and you would only notice it on certain roads.

I prefer the H&Rs, but not by enough to remove the Eibachs and switch then out. The springs are the only suspension mod on my 124 Abarth. It's handling is nowhere near the handling I had with my red 124, which had H&Rs plus Eibach anti-sway bars. So for street performance, that's still my suggested set up, although the Eibachs are a good option, and if I add in the anti-sways, that should bring it up to the level of performance I want.

For a lot of people, I think the Eibachs may be a better choice. The ride height is a little more street friendly and the better ride may matter to some people.

Greg

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-suspension/products/h-r-lowering-springs-fiat-124

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-suspension/products/eibach-pro-kit-fiat-124

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I like the ride quality and height on my stock Lusso, but I would like to eliminate some body roll. What are your thoughts on installing just the sway bars?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I think skipping spring and shock upgrades and going straight to the anti-sway bars will give good results.

Greg
Thanks Greg. It’s something I’d like to do in the future, but man that front bar install LOL.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So which anti-sway bars (I assume front and back?) would you recommend with stock Lusso springs and shocks, Cusco, Eibach or Progress to reduce body roll whilst keeping the ride quality Lusso standard?

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the Eibachs, they are a good price, easier to install than the Progress bars, and have enough range of adjustment for any street and part time track car. I actually used them on the most mild setting.

Greg

·
Banned
2,958 Posts
Would the Eibach springs be compatible even if I get 215/55 tires on stock abarth wheels?

Thanks Greg.

·
Banned
2,958 Posts
I think that would be a happy medium. Taller tires filling the gap + springs, without a harsher ride.

·
Banned
2,958 Posts
215/55 (like my Civic 2017) for a more compliant ride over bad, uneven and rough roads in Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Having run both Eibach and H&R (not on the same car, but in various vehicles) I've found the Eibach's tend to be a little soft for the amount they lower, and the H&Rs slightly stiffer. I used to bottom out in my Spirit with Eibach springs until supplimenting with air bags, which were NEEDED when towing my Jet Ski after putting in the Eibachs. On something I plan to race or want to tune more, I try to find some high quality coilovers. There are A LOT of options for the 124 thanks to the popularity of the Mazda MX-5.

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having run both Eibach and H&R (not on the same car, but in various vehicles) I've found the Eibach's tend to be a little soft for the amount they lower, and the H&Rs slightly stiffer. I used to bottom out in my Spirit with Eibach springs until supplimenting with air bags, which were NEEDED when towing my Jet Ski after putting in the Eibachs. On something I plan to race or want to tune more, I try to find some high quality coilovers. There are A LOT of options for the 124 thanks to the popularity of the Mazda MX-5.
There is no question that for track action, coil-overs and anti-sway bars are the way to go. However I would argue that for a street car that's only occasionally driven at the track, the H&R springs with upgraded anti-sway bar combo is a pretty good setup. It's about a 1000 bucks less and I think it's better for daily driving. Of course at EC, we have a lot of options in coil-overs, including the new H&R coil-overs.

The main problem I have with coil overs on a street car is that typically the highest setting for ride height is lower than the ride height provided by the H&R or Eibach spring kits. That's great for the track, because you can set the car as low as you could possibly want it, but I find that the highest setting is actually a bit too low for a real road daily driver. For serious track action, coil-overs, 100% no question, but for a street car, maybe not.

Greg

·
Banned
2,958 Posts
It is 2 sizes taller, and the wheel well seems pretty big...but don’t have the car yet, can’t test it...

These 6 months are gonna kill me.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
It is 2 sizes taller, and the wheel well seems pretty big...but don’t have the car yet, can’t test it...

These 6 months are gonna kill me.
6 months you hope. Ordering cars, been there.

·
Banned
2,958 Posts
Indeed I hope...2019s are already being delivered, hope that means I can maybe get a modicum of a discount.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A big red box containing my new Eibach swaybars arrived in the post today, it's starting to feel like Christmas already!

I'm guessing for street/everyday use I will need to set both front/back to the "soft" setting? Has anyone got any tips/tricks on the installation they can share? The front Anti-roll bar looks particularly complex/tricky to install....and mine's a rhd

Thank you :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts