Even with roadside assistance membership, owners that want to know the correct jump starting procedure should read this quick breakdown. If jump starting becomes common and not just an anomaly, visiting your local dealer is recommend along with checking what owners have to say in the Technical Discussion section.
Preparations For Jump Starting
Jump-starting is dangerous if done incorrectly, so follow the procedure in this section carefully. If you feel unsure about jump-starting, it is strongly recommend that you have a competent service technician do the work.
Jump Start Locations
To jump start the vehicle, follow this
- Remove the positive terminal cover.
Positive Terminal Cover
- Make sure the booster battery is 12 V and that the negative terminal is grounded.
- Turn off the engine of the vehicle with the booster battery and all unnecessary electrical loads in both vehicles.
- Connect one end of a jumper cables to the positive terminal on the discharged battery.
- Connect the other end to the positive terminal on the booster battery.
- Connect one end of the other jumper cables to the negative terminal of the booster battery.
- Connect the other end to a good engine ground of the vehicle with the discharged battery (exposed metal part of the engine) away from the battery and the fuel injection system.
- Start the engine of the booster vehicle and run it a few minutes. Then start the engine of the other vehicle.
- Once the engine is started, remove the jumper cables in the reverse sequence.
- Replace the positive terminal cover. Make sure cover is secure.
See more in the Fiat 124 Spider Owners Manual