Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No hard top 124 was shown at Geneva. I'm mildly gutted.

I may lose my mind waiting for this car.

Anyone have any new rumours, gossip or images to share?

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Make it a fastback....give it the 1.8 T...and I will sleep at the dealership's door until it arrives!

Sadly, I do not expect a fastback because cost to engineer that is so MUCH HIGHER.

And the budget also suggests it will stay 1.4T.

Thus, instead of THIS:

What I expect is fixed roof version that keeps the trunk unchanged, something like what you see on the rally car:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I never thought I would want a soft top convertible, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this car and would encourage anyone to get one rather than wait.

I'm a big fan of the 1.4T MultiAir.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If they make a coupe, do you think it will have a token back seat (Like my 80 Spider)? They are able to stuff a back seat into the BRZ/FRS Twins.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Make it a fastback....give it the 1.8 T...and I will sleep at the dealership's door until it arrives!

Sadly, I do not expect a fastback because cost to engineer that is so MUCH HIGHER.

And the budget also suggests it will stay 1.4T.

Thus, instead of THIS:

What I expect is fixed roof version that keeps the trunk unchanged, something like what you see on the rally car:
It seems to me that a Corvette style hard top (your first photo) would be much less expensive to produce than a Miata retractible. I can certainly see a market for it.

Like the Vette (I owned one recently), it would add lots of cargo space. They could even add a targa top for good weather days. Love the look of this rendering.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, there are arguments to be made for both styles.

The fast back can carry a change of tires to autocross events à la BRZ/GT86.

The notchback has a historical link to the original 124.

I read on a auto-journo web site that the plan for a hard top version was mostly concrete. No speculation on the style other than "the re-engineering required was of moderate cost due to the design". Makes me think it will be a notchback. Would be lighter - less glass.

My thing is that I want a car I can track that doesn't require a roll bar. Cabrios require a roll bar for track days. Also, I'm just a hard top kind of guy. After ~20 years of topless Jeeps and sports cars I'm done with that.

There's a lot of different artist concepts floating around out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The rally hard top, obviously, is more likely. The fastback does look seriously nice (I'm not a huge fan of fastbacks) but it looks a bit too much like a mini-mustang. The only reason this car exists is because Mazda were willing to make most of the car (as long as it never had an engine more powerful than the MX-5).

I used to have a Triumph Spitfire with a hard top (in the UK) but never actually used it. While I'm sure there's some who would buy it, I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it (quieter? a better 'all year' vehicle?).

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Does Goodwin Racing still have one in development?
Yes, our top is finished, will get it into our exterior section of site shortly. But now we are talking very different things and should be careful not to confuse the two. Our top is really a Racer's top, ultra light carbon fiber for better aerodynamics, we have sold a few to Race teams in the Continental Tire series and elsewhere. Our top does not stiffen the car, it does allow teams to remove soft top so they can fit more extensive cage in there. In contrast, I assume factory effort we are talking about here in this thread is not a convertible, will be solid coupe from the factory, not a removeable top, coupe will be much stiffer though perhaps similar looking notchback in appearance.

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
I expect the notchback....but I WANT the fastback.

I expect the notchback would do just 'okay' in sales...because it looks no different than putting a removeable hardtop on the soft top version, many will ask why not just buy the soft top version of the car and removeable hardtop for more options in configuration? IMHO....the notchback does not stand out enough to be recognized as something different from the convertible, so it would not make much splash in the market. I think the notchback would be doomed to be seen by most as just a top added to the convertible, because that is how it looks, and sales would be minor ripple in the charts.

If they want to ignite enthusiasts passions then I think they must spend the money to do proper fastback. I believe a real fastback would pay off with something that feels a lot more classic 240Z than comparatively big and boxy Mustang. Obviously a lot of the artist renderings are channeling more than a little classic 240Z lines into the dream of what a fastback 124 could be.

Listen up Fiat, bottom line is that I will not buy the notchback because I do not see enough distinction there, and I would buy the Fastback. And I bet that I am not alone.

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Thinking more about it....there is a way the notch design can be done so that it still looks fastback. This is RF below with aftermarket louvers. My wife's response is: Hey, the 1980s are calling and they want their louvers back! But my eyes see a solution that keeps the trunk and yet gives that smooth fastback line. Perhaps Fiat can manage a result like this, making the fake rear RF windows real, keeping the trunk, giving the smooth and curved classic rear line (240Z, Jaguars of yore, Ferarri Daytona, etc).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I had heard a rumour that the FIAT's fixed roof was going to be leveraged against RF changes to the platform. My assumption is that being done by the Italians that it will look pretty awesome.

I kinda dig those louvres.

I really need to start tracking where I read these things I guess. Can't find it in google atm.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
When I first saw that louvres pic I immediately thought " time for a comeback!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Holy sweet darn, that carbon fiber top cover looks phenomenal. Now that is something that has made it onto my wishlist.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, our top is finished, will get it into our exterior section of site shortly. But now we are talking very different things and should be careful not to confuse the two. Our top is really a Racer's top, ultra light carbon fiber for better aerodynamics, we have sold a few to Race teams in the Continental Tire series and elsewhere. Our top does not stiffen the car, it does allow teams to remove soft top so they can fit more extensive cage in there. In contrast, I assume factory effort we are talking about here in this thread is not a convertible, will be solid coupe from the factory, not a removeable top, coupe will be much stiffer though perhaps similar looking notchback in appearance.

So would this hard top be a suitable for winter use on a daily driver? Is it totally water proof around the seals etc. and does it have a heated screen?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts