Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a short, upwards sloping driveway. All my cars so far have been SUVs, so, no problem.

So today I made a mock up of a 124 Spider with 3 bits of wood to represent the wheelbase and ground clearance at the tires (2310mm and 119mm), and dragged it up the driveway to make sure I would not ground out.

Looked like this -

---||----------------------------------------||---

I cleared the middle with about 15mm to spare which isn't very much and obviously my own weight was not in the car. I just wondered if anyone had the experience of grounding out on a driveway, and what they had done about it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I test drove the 124 I took it home for exactly that reason. I have a steep up that becomes flat at the top. Though my Elise didn't scrape, I had to drive it sideways across the driveway rather than straight up. The 124 has a longer wheelbase so the thought of piviting on its belly did cross my mind.

As it happens, it makes no scrapes at all yet our mini touches on the front on the way down where said slope meets the road.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've got a short, upwards sloping driveway. All my cars so far have been SUVs, so, no problem.

So today I made a mock up of a 124 Spider with 3 bits of wood to represent the wheelbase and ground clearance at the tires (2310mm and 119mm), and dragged it up the driveway to make sure I would not ground out.

Looked like this -

---||----------------------------------------||---

I cleared the middle with about 15mm to spare which isn't very much and obviously my own weight was not in the car. I just wondered if anyone had the experience of grounding out on a driveway, and what they had done about it?
Whereas my Solstice routinely grounded out just about everywhere, my 124 (a Lusso) has yet to scrape even after 12 thousand miles being driven all over the place. It is at stock height and I've driven over some pretty steep driveway transitions, including one that occasionally causes my wife's SUV (X1) to scrape at the front. That would, of course, change if you lowered the car. So far I love driving it the way it is, making changes only in the engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
Surprisingly, no. I used to have problems with my Miata, it had a front airdam I repeatedly repaired. I even took the 124 carefully down a rough unpaved country road without incident.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
382 Posts
I deal with some pretty steep parking garage entrances in the city, especially the one at my apartment complex, and I have yet to have any issues!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Last week I had a modified 124 loaner for a day complete with Eibach and..............scrapped when I drove on my driveway and scrapped going over sharp little speed humps at the local shopping centre

Sorta put me off fitting Eibach as I have on my other cars

Suggest you take a 124 home during your test drive ..... just to be sure

·
Registered
189 Posts
Last week I had a modified 124 loaner for a day complete with Eibach and..............scrapped when I drove on my driveway and scrapped going over sharp little speed humps at the local shopping centre

Sorta put me off fitting Eibach as I have on my other cars

Suggest you take a 124 home during your test drive ..... just to be sure
I have just fitted Eibachs (EU spec F 35mm R 25mm) and the car only just cleared the lift ramp for the aligment check. However in normal driving including the local speed bumps, no problems.
Danny

·
Registered
150 Posts
Almost EVERY recent car we've driven (our old Ford Fusion, the rental Toyota Camry, my son's Mustang) drags coming into our driveway unless you approach at a weird angle and then turn at just the right spot. I've not had that problem with the Fiat and can turn in normally. I was REALLY worried about that and it was the first thing we tested on our test drive.
This shot is taken from road level at the entrance of our driveway (and yes, the garage still needs to be cleaned out!)

·
Registered
157 Posts
all the time, you have to ascend or descend slowly on my driveway and go at a sharp angle to the driveway to keep from happening. That said, The 124 has a plastic lip on the underside which is what scrapes on mine so not terribly worried as it's not the painted area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts