Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The original post was closed so started this one for those who ordered it to post their experience and impressions.

Anyone get theirs yet?

I just ordered one for the heck of it (this time order went through using PayPal and I did not need to send a copy of my driver's license as was requested the first time when I tried to use my credit card directly)

I'll post my impression when mine comes in.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just got mine some minutes ago. Here it is. Its from Scyllano Racing, so you know its italian inspired.
Hood Automotive design Grey Font Automotive exterior

Appears to be made out of some material that a turbo blanket might be made of. It also is a turbo blanket, and not a rock in a bag with a tracking number on it.
This is all you get. No bolts, no manual. If you wanted bolts, you should get new ones. Or you can use OEM.
Hood Art Gas Snout Pattern

Installed and looks ok.
Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

I modified this stupid "Mechanical Engineering Intern" Bolt, so I could use it like a stud to locate the blanket. Just a few minutes on the bench grinder was all it took.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Automotive design

Not sure why people feel it necessary to undo the oxygen sensor wire, you can just flop it out of the way like so.

I'll update in a few hours and tell you all how quickly my car burned down.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
So far so good. Drove around and didnt notice any smoke or stink until i left the car idle in my driveway and opened the hood. Slight smoke that was under the hood only, tried to take a picture but it was so light it didn't even show up with my phone camera. I'll call this a win.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Keep us updated. Good to hear it did not smoke like crazy.

I ordered the black one too.

How long did it take to arrive?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The old ones are the best ones ;)

Reactions: Arthur

·
Premium Member
2019 Abarth
74 Posts
Looks like you left the original heat shield in place and installed the blanket over it? And does it seem to do what it's supposed to do - are the surrounding areas in the engine bay cooler?

·
Premium Member
3,136 Posts
For anyone buying one and wanting basic installation instructions, you can have a peek at this thread here: How To Install Turbo Thermal Blanket

For gits and shiggles, some of us used high heat caliper paint to paint our bracket while we had things disassembled. As for the intern bolt, mine got tossed. It seems like the engine equivalent of an appendix. It may have had a purpose at some point in time, but no longer required. The one really important thing I do remember is that the heat shield itself has some bloody sharp edges, so watch your fingers when working with that piece of sheet metal.... or that sharp edge will indeed be bloody.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks like you left the original heat shield in place and installed the blanket over it? And does it seem to do what it's supposed to do - are the surrounding areas in the engine bay cooler?
After driving up to temperature I was able to poke the thermal blanket without burning my finger. All things the same, it has to be doing something.
I removed the upper piece of heat shield that has to be removed for blanket install but left the rest.

For anyone buying one and wanting basic installation instructions, you can have a peek at this thread here: How To Install Turbo Thermal Blanket

For gits and shiggles, some of us used high heat caliper paint to paint our bracket while we had things disassembled. As for the intern bolt, mine got tossed. It seems like the engine equivalent of an appendix. It may have had a purpose at some point in time, but no longer required. The one really important thing I do remember is that the heat shield itself has some bloody sharp edges, so watch your fingers when working with that piece of sheet metal.... or that sharp edge will indeed be bloody.
I thought that bolt helps hold the exhaust/cat heat shield on? Maybe not I didn't investigate much. It is truly strange though, ive wondered about it a lot, is it part of mfg process? Who knows.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

I thought that bolt helps hold the exhaust/cat heat shield on? Maybe not I didn't investigate much. It is truly strange though, ive wondered about it a lot, is it part of mfg process? Who knows.
If I recall a previous discussion, the general consensus was it was a lifting bolt of some kind, to lift/hold the turbo assembly in place during factory assembly.

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When mine comes in (sometime in JAN) I plan to take temps around the engine bay before and after the install, after driving the same distance. I will then post the results.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mine arrived about a week ago, but not had time to fit it yet

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have there been any tests done on this product yet?

I’d really like to see before and after temperatures using this product. Looks a bit Hacky to me, but I dunno.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well I have fitted mine now, and have to report some very poor workmanship - From the Fiat / Mazda tech who assembled or installed my engine!

The nut on top of the stud sticking out of the turbo, holding the Y shaped bracket, had seized onto the stud. This would have been no big deal, but when the stud came out it was evident that it had been badly cross-threaded and installed with a power driver, or maybe a lump hammer. It is not going back in.

I now need to obtain a replacement stud and nut and also re-tap the hole - Is this Y-plate structural, or can it wait a few days?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

On the other hand, the blanket itself seems fine. No problems with the manufacture, a tiny wisp of smoke and hot smell for a very short time, and no other issues. Under-bonnet temps reduced considerably.

Interestingly, I have noticed that something is quieter - I can't tell you what sound is missing but the car is definitely slightly quieter when running. Anyone else found this when installing a blanket?

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update...
Just received notice that my blanket is at our local post office. Ordered back on 12/21 so hope that's the truth!

One question, do those who installed a blanket notice any change in performance?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It arrived late yesterday...here are some pics. It seems well made and does have plastic over the metal plaque that I removed. It comes with no hardware. I read the inside is made of a magnesium compound. It is a little stiff when bending. Will install and see how it goes!
Product Sleeve Luggage and bags Grey Silver
Sleeve Bag Headgear Cap Circle
Helmet Automotive tire Table Automotive lighting Sleeve
Font Auto part Electric blue Gas Metal
Product Sleeve Luggage and bags Grey Silver
Sleeve Bag Headgear Cap Circle
Helmet Automotive tire Table Automotive lighting Sleeve
Font Auto part Electric blue Gas Metal

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Install done!

No hardware included so it was nearly impossible to use the OEM Fiat screws to bolt down the blanket since the screws are too short with the thickness of the blanket. Plus, holes in the blanket where slightly off.

As a result, after removing the existing metal heat shield, I could only secure the new blanket at 1 out of the 3 mounting points.

But with the way the blanket folds into place and with the metal bracket above it, the blanket seems secure.

Test drive and temp checks tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts