Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is a reposted that started on a dip stick thread that went down the road of oil consumption and the need to check it regularly. So here is that post I made that maybe belongs here as well.

I have this image of old tv shows with some guy pulling into a gas, before self serve. “Morning sir, filler up?” Then with out asking they clean the windshield and check the oil. Because I guess that is what you did back then, check the oil all the time.

It has been a long time since I have done this, and that was on used cars in high school. TR7, Spitfire, and X19. After those (which used less oil than my 124) it has not been an issue since. Pretty strange. Then it does not hold much oil on top of that. So if I designed an engine that I knew would go through oil, I might have some common sense kick in and add a buffer by holding at least 1 more quart of oil. Just sayin’

We can just call it Italian character. I have never named a car, but tempting now, some beautiful, high maintainance Italian name maybe. Plus she always needs new bling, facials, spa days, new nails, lip stick, and trips to the country. At least she does like to be driven hard and put away wet, nasty girl!

Here’s hoping she ages gracefully!

Allegra: Meaning ‘cheerful, lively’ in Italian

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
This is a reposted that started on a dip stick thread that went down the road of oil consumption and the need to check it regularly. So here is that post I made that maybe belongs here as well.

I have this image of old tv shows with some guy pulling into a gas, before self serve. “Morning sir, filler up?” Then with out asking they clean the windshield and check the oil. Because I guess that is what you did back then, check the oil all the time.

It has been a long time since I have done this, and that was on used cars in high school. TR7, Spitfire, and X19. After those (which used less oil than my 124) it has not been an issue since. Pretty strange. Then it does not hold much oil on top of that. So if I designed an engine that I knew would go through oil, I might have some common sense kick in and add a buffer by holding at least 1 more quart of oil. Just sayin’

We can just call it Italian character. I have never named a car, but tempting now, some beautiful, high maintainance Italian name maybe. Plus she always needs new bling, facials, spa days, new nails, lip stick, and trips to the country. At least she does like to be driven hard and put away wet, nasty girl!

Here’s hoping she ages gracefully!

Allegra: Meaning ‘cheerful, lively’ in Italian

Allegra is dangerously close to Allegro and no car should have to bear that burden...:D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Could've SWORN that I'd already posted this here, but I guess not(?) My Spider was named L.O.L.A. II by my daughter, in honor of Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Phil Coulson's original Levitating Over Land Automobile (built by Tony Stark's father.) The original is a red '62 Corvette convertible. She decided that the name fit and who am I to argue? (I almost got her custom 381 PCE plates, but decided that was a bit to obscure...) There ARE Stark Industries badges the fenders, though. And an Arc Reactor front tow hook cover. (This summer I might even rig it to light up when she's running.)

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
And I could have sworn that I did this already as well...

Gianna Prosecco, because an Italian car needs an Italian name. Gia's license plate is a version of Prosecco, so if you see a red Abarth in No. Cal. with that on a rear plate (soooo not drilling my front bumper), please wave. Chances are there's some prosecco in the trunk too...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My kids have unofficially christened it "the Batmobile".

If that unofficially makes me 'Batman' I guess I fall more on the Adam West end of the scale than the Christian Bale end. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
She will be known as Carlotta.
Translates roughly to Charlotte.
Charlotte was a famous spider who had a web.
Therefore, Carlotta the Italian Spider ; )

61 - 80 of 105 Posts