Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Alaia

Alaia, after the ancient surf boards, and precursor to the modern agile short boards of today.

To Quote Ben Marcus author of "The Surfboard Art, Style, Stoke" - "The ancient Hawaii Surfboards, or papa he'e nalu came in four types. Listed in order of length from longest to shortest, these were the super long olo, kilo'o, alaia, and the paipo (more of a bodyboard) ..."

"The alaia was best suited for kakaha, [Hawaiian -- curling wave, terrible, death dealing] that is a wave the broke quickly and had a hollow curl. The Board's short length and thinness made it preferable for steeper, faster-breaking waves surf..."

from Wikipedia: An Alaia is a thin, round-nosed, square-tailed surfboard ridden in pre-20th century Hawaii... Lala is a word found in the Hawaiian dictionary meaning ‘the controlled slide in the curl when surfing on a board.

The car and the ancient surfboard, share rounded nose, a square tail, and were small agile and remarkable amounts of fun to pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
As others have written, I've never named a car or motorcycle I've owned, but love does srrange things to a person. I originally liked Sophia after Sophia Loren...then girlfriend suggested Bella. The name has a curve to it and IS BEAUTIFUL! So Bella it is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As others have written, I've never named a car or motorcycle I've owned, but love does srrange things to a person. I originally liked Sophia after Sophia Loren...then girlfriend suggested Bella. The name has a curve to it and IS BEAUTIFUL! So Bella it is.
I named my Sophia, they both have nice curves!

·
Registered
50 Posts
After weeks of trying to think of a name and not being able to come up with anything I am happy with I had a great Idea. I thought of it and Immediately ordered the plates. I have named mine Aragog.

·
Registered
332 Posts
In our household, it's simply "the roadster".

·
Registered
26 Posts
While travelling I encountered few countrymen whom kept calling my car a "Speed Er"....
I had to convince my state that it was SPiDeRDAD and not SPeeDeRDAD. Plate.JPG

·
Registered
332 Posts
Correction: in our household, I call it "the roadster".

Mrs. Magoffin calls it "the little car". :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
i named my 124 "sydney". i have a tradition of naming all of my cars with female names starting with S and ending with Y. my first car civic si - "shirley"; mb c300 - "sherry"; prius - "someray"; bmw m3 - "shelly"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone named their Spider?
I have never named any inanimate object, but I feel compelled to name my new spider abarth. Online Italian baby names and an english-italian dictionary are my primary resources. I have Vita (full of life), and Sybil (the chick with multiple personalities) as my starting point.
Please share you spiders name with this group, it might be fun.:)
So, me too. Never named a car before. But my wife texted a pic to her niece, who immediately texted back that we should name the car Frances (wife's middle name, her mother's first). I said No, she's Italian. It's Francesca. And so it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My "baby" hasn't been born yet, but just today I decided on a name. It really isn't gender based but it is fitting for how I intend to live with my new car.

"Il Viaggiatore". The Traveler, in Italian. But when the translation app on my phone pronounces the name (rather, the phrase) using a sultry sounding Italian female voice, well, it sounds like she's introducing herself.

Anyway, a shortened nickname for daily use is Via, which a Google search defined as "traveling through (a place) en route to a destination". This is fitting, and so it shall be.

My Moto Guzzi (shown in my avatar) was named by a friend. When buying it, I showed him a picture, and immediately he proclaimed, "Oh, like Sophia Loren, a beautiful Italian redhead." Sophia stuck immediately.

Steve.
Ah! A man with taste, appreciation of beauty, and knowledge of history. What other name goes with a sexy spider and a voluptuous Italian figure? "Sophia." After Sophia Loren.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife names most of our cars and, usually, refers to them as female names due to the female NAV voice..
The 1984 Mercedes Benz 300DT was "The Tank."
Her 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD is "Betty."
The 2007 Mercedes Benz E350 is "Mercedes."

I named the Spider "Sophia."

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife named ours...it was pretty easy...ours is Bianco Perla...so she named it Bianca.
My last car was a black 2017 Lusso, and I named her Biana. My lease ended and I just traded it in for a black Abarth... who I've decided to name Gia.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts