Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having a strange issue with starting up my Lusso about 2 weeks ago. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada area. We have and still having record heat and temperatures above normal this time of year. About two weeks ago, I press the engine start/stop button and had a couple of more seconds delay in the engine cranking up than normal. Had about a 1/4 tank of gas. Almost felt like a bad battery or fuel not getting in the engine with no engine codes showing whatever. Last night, I had the same issue, but the delay in cranking the engine was a few more seconds longer to start. I decided to turn off the engine and the Start/Stop engine button was only in accessory mode/tan color and would not turn green even with the brake pedal pressed! I decided to open the engine hood and let it cool down for a couple of minutes. My gas tank with full right before I parked the car; I use Chevron premium unleaded. It's was a hot day with temperatures ranging in the mid to lower 100's Fahrenheit at night. Finally the Start/Stop engine button turn green and was able to start it with no problems and the engine is running smooth and still no engine codes! I have Goodwin complete exhaust with GFB+ Diverter valve that are my mods. What could be going on?, puzzled!!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I having a strange issue with starting up my Lusso about 2 weeks ago. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada area. We have and still having record heat and temperatures above normal this time of year. About two weeks ago, I press the engine start/stop button and had a couple of more seconds delay in the engine cranking up than normal. Had about a 1/4 tank of gas. Almost felt like a bad battery or fuel not getting in the engine with no engine codes showing whatever. Last night, I had the same issue, but the delay in cranking the engine was a few more seconds longer to start. I decided to turn off the engine and the Start/Stop engine button was only in accessory mode/tan color and would not turn green even with the brake pedal pressed! I decided to open the engine hood and let it cool down for a couple of minutes. My gas tank with full right before I parked the car; I use Chevron premium unleaded. It's was a hot day with temperatures ranging in the mid to lower 100's Fahrenheit at night. Finally the Start/Stop engine button turn green and was able to start it with no problems and the engine is running smooth and still no engine codes! I have Goodwin complete exhaust with GFB+ Diverter valve that are my mods. What could be going on?, puzzled!!

aloha! Any updates? All well? @fabricio27

Reactions: fabricio27

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Does your starter turn the engine if so, maybe too much heat has left hot vapor in the engine. If not

mAKE sure you press the CLUTCH all the way down. Check under the clutch there should be a switch, when clucth is pressed down this switch makes the car start.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Suggest checking the battery terminals for both tightness and good clean contact.

When I hear hot weather + hard cranking then the battery or its connection is a top suspect. Both of my Toyota batteries finally gave out (after many years each) during the summer periods with very similar symptoms initially. And I've also had dirty battery contacts create similar symptoms during hot periods as the hot and dry conditions can increase the resistance causing issues like this. (But of course it's like someone saying their back hurts - it's hard for anyone to truly know the cause without understanding a lot more or examining the situation - we can only help guess at probable causes...)

May not be the cause but it's certainly a quick thing to check. Good luck!

·
Registered
480 Posts
the original complaint said "it felt like a bad battery or fuel not getting to the engine" those are two different symptoms...

does the engine turn over and when it does is it fast (normal) or slow and loping?

is the engine starting but killing out quickly?

how many miles are on the car, and how long have you owned it?

is the CEL illuminated or has it illuminated and gone off during operation recently? some sensors which are in the process of failing will become intermittent during hotter weather.

did these starting problems begin with a cold or hot start?

these are just a few questions which need to be answered before and real suggestions can be made pertaining to a failure to start or difficulty to start...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rdass623,

It turns over and fast or normal, but just takes longer to start the engine. No codes and once the engine starts there is no problem. Happen usually when the temperature is over 110 degrees. I have the car since last September and its the first summer here in Las Vegas the car has dealt with extreme heat. Happens only with a hot start. My local FIAT Findlay dealer said it sounds like vapor lock and will get an answer with FIAT soon. Everybody else thanks for the input! Dfnsmn34, frankmar, Kubicide

·
Registered
480 Posts
at 110% f, a hot start would feasibly cause a lowered air density, which may produce a difficulty with starting. I would not worry too much about it.....

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Heat soaking leading to vapor lock in the fuel lines? Turn it over long enough and cooler fuel gets pumped through from the tank and solves the problem.

Certainly happens in light airplane engines, but I've never heard of it in a modern car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
68wooley That's what the dealer says as well. Vapor lock doesn't happen in modern cars. But, it's happening in mine, apparently!

·
Registered
115 Posts
If this isn't a common thing on this platform/engine, I wonder if the fuel rail is staying pressurized after being stopped.

If it is bleeding down then it will take cranking to get the pressure back up. It likely shouldn't be vaporising if the system remains under pressure.

Have the tech check fuel rail pressure before cranking. If it is low (i.e. not a few % of what it is at operating condition) then I'd do more research as to whether failing valves on the fuel pump is a thing or not.

Common problem with some older Jeep products (Bt/dt).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If this isn't a common thing on this platform/engine, I wonder if the fuel rail is staying pressurized after being stopped.

If it is bleeding down then it will take cranking to get the pressure back up. It likely shouldn't be vaporising if the system remains under pressure.

Have the tech check fuel rail pressure before cranking. If it is low (i.e. not a few % of what it is at operating condition) then I'd do more research as to whether failing valves on the fuel pump is a thing or not.

Common problem with some older Jeep products (Bt/dt).
Thanks,

I get my local FIAT dealer research and check my car for that problem. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts