Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my 2018 Fiat 124 Classica ( 2600 miles) but I'm concerned with some problems this relatively new car is having. Have owned the car for 2 months and have already had a faulty thermostat replaced and just recently the engine indicator light went on (amber not blinking) so am taking the Fiat once again back to the dealer for a diagnostic test. My concern is the reliability factor... do I have a lemon or is this just what I have to put-up with ?
Again I want to make clear that this is one of the most fun vehoicle I have ever owned .. it's a true sports car, light weight, 6 speed manual transmission and is so much fun to drive.
I still have this car under warranty or I would be very unhappy and thinking about selling. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The thermostat is not a big deal and is fixed or improved with an ECU update.

You need to read the code and tell us what’s up with your car. It is not an unreliable car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine indicator light was on so this means on inicates one of the following issues: (from manual)
Malfunction Indicator Light
If this light illuminates while driving, the vehicle may have a problem. It is important to note the driving conditions when the light illuminated and contact an authorized dealer.
The malfunction indicator light may illuminate in the following cases:

The engine's electrical system has a problem.
The emission control system has a problem.
The fuel tank level is very low or approaching empty.
The fuel-filler cap is missing or not tightened securely.
If the malfunction indicator light remains on, or it flashes continuously, do not drive at high speeds and contact an authorized dealer as soon as possible.

Fuel tank issues are not problem so it's either an electrical system problem or emission system problem.

I'm hopeful that you are right about the reliability factor as I want to keep this car.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,326 Posts
A Check Engine Light (CEL) can come on for so many reasons that are probably nothing. Gas cap a little loose? Evap system CEL. A simple spike + or - in the 5VDC reference voltage (A or B) can show a myriad of codes that mean nothing. An OBDII reader is a super valuable tool and costs $30-100 depending on features and manufacturer.

I can even tell you from personal experience that a blown piston can show up as a throttle vacuum issue. It is in a way, a roundabout way, but they are related!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Check Engine Light (CEL) can come on for so many reasons that are probably nothing. Gas cap a little loose? Evap system CEL. A simple spike + or - in the 5VDC reference voltage (A or B) can show a myriad of codes that mean nothing. An OBDII reader is a super valuable tool and costs $30-100 depending on features and manufacturer.

I can even tell you from personal experience that a blown piston can show up as a throttle vacuum issue. It is in a way, a roundabout way, but they are related!
Thanks for the reply. Only thing I can think of which proceeded the "check engine" light on dash was I used, for the first time, the AC power plug to run my GPS unit.

·
Registered
540 Posts
In my view these cars are super reliable. A CEL, may be for something minor or even temporary. I suggest investing in a code reader. Harbor Freight or Amazon are good sources. Some of them even work with a cell phone, but I prefer the hard wire interface. It can be used an any car and used for years and will save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In my view these cars are super reliable. A CEL, may be for something minor or even temporary. I suggest investing in a code reader. Harbor Freight or Amazon are good sources. Some of them even work with a cell phone, but I prefer the hard wire interface. It can be used an any car and used for years and will save you money in the long run.
^^ this.
I keep an ODBII adapter in every car, and the Torque app on my phone. In >3 years of owning the 124, I have not encountered a single CEL that would have required a trip to the dealer. Only once did I have to reach out to Toby/EC to adjust the P2 tune. Had CEL's for fuel cap not 100% tight, evap leak, voltage, and others.
@magpie1 I would pick a 124 again without any second thoughts on reliability. It's been great, for that matter better than German cars that I used to own/drive.

HTH, S

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ this.
I keep an ODBII adapter in every car, and the Torque app on my phone. In >3 years of owning the 124, I have not encountered a single CEL that would have required a trip to the dealer. Only once did I have to reach out to Toby/EC to adjust the P2 tune. Had CEL's for fuel cap not 100% tight, evap leak, voltage, and others.
@magpie1 I would pick a 124 again without any second thoughts on reliability. It's been great, for that matter better than German cars that I used to own/drive.

HTH, S
Good news... started my Spider this morning, was very warm for New England in January at 70F. Engine light did no come on and car has been running great for the past 2 days.
Have been enjoying driving with the roof off for the fist time. I'm so in love with the car!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Hi
Good news... started my Spider this morning, was very warm for New England in January at 70F. Engine light did no come on and car has been running great for the past 2 days.
Have been enjoying driving with the roof off for the fist time. I'm so in love with the car!
Hi and Welcome.....It's great that your Spider is behaving itself again, however, sl_austin is right to suggest you have an OBD 11 handy as faults just do not go away on their own, the car will have recorded something and what happens if that something re occurs when you are out on a trip some place ? When I first read your thread I wondered if you had mistaken the Fob battery warning light for a engine warning light, but anyway, If it was me.... Peace of Mind says, get it checked out and I also have an BD11 for each vehicle as the cost alone for a garage mechanic just to plug in and confirm can be tear jerking. I bought a Foxwell NT 510 Pro from the USA as it was recommended as a "Best Buy" and it does everything except make the Tea and whistle Dixie ! Cheers
ron
Oh, and it lives on a hook on my garage wall which is where I want it to remain unless I am doing a reset following servicing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts