Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on installing lowering springs this week on my Abarth. Does anyone know how to level the headlights on this car? I don't see any adjusters. Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm planning on installing lowering springs this week on my Abarth. Does anyone know how to level the headlights on this car? I don't see any adjusters. Thanks
If you car has the Led headlights then they are autoadjusting. And that is a problem. Because the autoadjusting system essentially measures the control arm angle of the left rear suspension and adjusts the aim of the headlights based on it. The thinking is that the front suspension doesnt change much but as you load up the trunk and the rear sags a bit, it pitches the nose up and your headlights are too high. So the system compensates by aiming your headlights downwards. This will be noticeable once you lower your car.
Both Goodwin and flyin miata sell kits that allow you to replace a small part of the measuring mechanism with a threaded adjustable length arm to compensate for lowered suspension.

I am currently looking at a solution for my car but am very cheap so am looking for a homemade (homedepot hardware) type of solution.

If you car doesn't have auto adjusting headlights then I am afraid this post is probably of no use. :(

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you car has the Led headlights then they are autoadjusting. And that is a problem. Because the autoadjusting system essentially measures the control arm angle of the left rear suspension and adjusts the aim of the headlights based on it. The thinking is that the front suspension doesnt change much but as you load up the trunk and the rear sags a bit, it pitches the nose up and your headlights are too high. So the system compensates by aiming your headlights downwards. This will be noticeable once you lower your car.
Both Goodwin and flyin miata sell kits that allow you to replace a small part of the measuring mechanism with a threaded adjustable length arm to compensate for lowered suspension.

I am currently looking at a solution for my car but am very cheap so am looking for a homemade (homedepot hardware) type of solution.

If you car doesn't have auto adjusting headlights then I am afraid this post is probably of no use. :(
Thank you for your very detailed response. Mine does not have the optional LED lights with the auto leveling system. I think that was part of a package.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Lusso with Non-auto leveling headlights. I installed LED's but they seem to point a little high. They aim exactly level but should point a little down. I am looking at ameridian's article and stuck an 8" long Phillips head screwdriver into the hole (with the white B label). I don't feel any screw at the bottom. Any guidance you can give me?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a Lusso with Non-auto leveling headlights. I installed LED's but they seem to point a little high. They aim exactly level but should point a little down. I am looking at ameridian's article and stuck an 8" long Phillips head screwdriver into the hole (with the white B label). I don't feel any screw at the bottom. Any guidance you can give me?
I also have nothing in the 'B' hole. I wanted to change the beam pattern to neutral for driving in Europe but Ameridans article didn't work for me. Regional difference of headlight units?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where do I find the leveling thumb wheel?
When I peek down the hole with the B label I can barely see some white teeth (2 teeth at most) of what may be a gear? But poking around with my phillips head I don't feel anything. Does it require a special tool? There is no room really to move around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I definitely don't have that. Just drove past my Fiat dealer and they showed me where it is. Will try that tonight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had not been looking at the right spot. Here are pictures of the little gear wheel which looks like a silver crown. A regular phillips head screwdriver (try different sizes) adjusts it easily. You have to look from the center towards the right fender to be able to see it.

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5515.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I lowered the beam, but now after driving with the aftermarket CARID LED bulbs for a while realize that the bulb must be slightly differently shaped compared to the original (non-LED) as the pattern is not straight. Maybe the bulb is longer? In other words when I shine on a wall the line is not perfectly straight. It is mostly straight but then on the sides goes up which makes me wonder if I blind the oncoming traffic. Can I purchase original LED bulbs through FIAT and would they be better?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bump.

I have the auto leveling LED headlights and I want to lower my car closer to 1.5". Is it safe to say I will have to pick up the adjustable arm for the rear level sensor? It's not a huge cost, I just want to know if it is something I will absolutely need in order to retain my car's factory headlight level.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,360 Posts
Bump.

I have the auto leveling LED headlights and I want to lower my car closer to 1.5". Is it safe to say I will have to pick up the adjustable arm for the rear level sensor? It's not a huge cost, I just want to know if it is something I will absolutely need in order to retain my car's factory headlight level.
If you go to Ameridan's Blog from above there is the OBD jumpering procedure to reset the sensor to the new norm.

Reactions: ameridan

·
Registered
269 Posts
Lowered my car yesterday and just did the OBD2 paper clip trick. It worked on the first try. I could hear the headlight motors whirring.

I placed a piece of tape on the wall in front of the car to mark where the beam was before. It moved up a noticeable amount.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts