Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

headlights and wipers

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  boddle88 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a question regarding the headlights and wipers. Every car I have owned in the past decade has turned the headlights on when the wiper blades are turned on, except for this car. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere? I thought all cars in the US were mandated to turn the headlights on when the wipers are on.

#2 · (Edited)
Headlights and wipers are independent. The only mandate is at state regulatory level.

Edit: assuming you are in the US, based on your question. You can set your lights to be always on, I believe, but not with the wipers.

Personally, I like lights always on, but the 'halo' side lights are actually quite bright. The rear lights don't appear to be fully bright with just the side lights.

And then there's the (what appear to be) rear fog lights...

#5 ·
I have a 2012 Challenger, had a 2013 Dart, and have a 2014 Charger that all turn the headlights on when the wipers are turned on. I also had a 2006 Prius that did the same. So, I was surprised that my 124 did not.

#6 ·

That was the case for me today. Dark and rainy in L.A. today. Everything came on automatically because I have everything set to Auto.

#8 ·
I wish the headlights in my cars came on when the wipers were on. It doesn't do it in my Classica, nor my '07 F150, or '11 535ix. The 535 is not an issue since the DRLs are bright enough, but I sure wish it worked that way with the pickup truck. That vehicle has auto headlights that seem to be very odd in when it thinks headlights are needed.

#11 ·
Having driven LBCs (little British cars) for over 40 years, the only way to start the i24 is:

left foot clutch to the floor
right toe on brake, shift to neutral, position right heal over accelerator
turn ignition key to start/push start button - gas as needed
turn lights ON
put top down
disengage emergency brake
go have fun

I drive in the land of NW Washington DC, where a Ford Explorer is considered a small SUV
Anything I can do to make sure that everyone sees me is what I try to do.
It's gotten to be a habit to turn the lights on. When I get out of the car, the lights get turned off - All manually. The mustang with all its electronic and hydraulic components was starting to go and that's why the 124 sits in the driveway. By the time it gets to be 14 years old (2031) my kids will probably take the key away.

till then - lights on all the time - have as much fun as you can legally have every opportunity you get.

Plus, hopefully, this little manual exercise will keep the old gray matter functioning a little longer.

#12 ·
<edited for brevity>
till then - lights on all the time - have as much fun as you can legally have every opportunity you get.
Plus, hopefully, this little manual exercise will keep the old gray matter functioning a little longer.
My father was a long haul trucker for over two decades, and he instilled in me the philosphy of ALWAYS turning your headlights on before you drove anywhere, anytime, day or night. It was all about visibility and doing whatever you could to make yourself better seen and perhaps just a little safer. Forward from that a few more decades, and in Canada, the daytime running lights are mandatory equipment and on by default on all vehicles old in this country. There's no turning them off, and that's a good thing.

And yes, I understand where you're coming from. In Alberta, this is the land of the crew cab pickup.... more of them on the road that cars, and a good many of them are also raised. So taking that into consideration, I too want to avoid being run over by one when I'm out enjoying my driving in the Spider.

#13 ·
Anyone’s auto windshield wipers not work? I can’t seem to hav ether work at all, and it’s been raining quite a bit the past week. When I first got the car they turned on in fog, but now we have actual rain, nada. The windshield control has mist, off, auto, low, high. I don’t know how to get it set to auto.

#14 ·
Page 43 of the manual.
There is a sensitivity sensor setting also, try adjusting that too.
Keep windows clean, its an infrared sensor. Manual recommends getting it looked at.

#17 ·
I have never had a car with this feature across Ford, Vauxhall, Fiat, Alfa, Nissan and Renault...new one on me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.