Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else run into this and maybe has an easy solution? something i'm missing?

When i take the top down and back up, i've noticed looking through the rear view mirror that my sightline is obstructed (and the rear window is already pretty small). Looking closer, what has happened is the rear headliner has an attachment that is a piece of plastic on the edge, and it reverses and "snaps" into a plastic liner right above the rear window.

I can snap it back in, but 1 or 2 cycles of bringing the top down and back up will dislodge it again.

Am i missing a connection? Has anyone else seen this? I might end up putting a little adhesive on it, but would hate to do that if i'm missing something more obvious.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to whether this has happened to anyone else.

Abarth model, but probably affects all. I'll add a picture later when i get to the vehicle.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This has been a common problem, especially with the mx 5s. It was usually fixed by the dealer replacing (or putting in missing) clips.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Our cars already come with the clips, although mine weren't put into place with the proper adhesive strips evidently. Nevertheless, I got tired of returning to the service tech at the local dealer because it still wouldn't last. Finally used gorilla glue down the channel of what they call the "j hook". Hadn't come out since and I no longer worry about a half view out the rear window. If you do glue it, make sure you can see clearly where the flap size fits it. The proper way, by the way, is with the top mostly down with the tension off. (I propped mine so I didn't have to hold it up so much to work on.)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so quite interesting i think.... after about 30 or 40 re attachments, i found that one time it was quite hard to get it to snap in..... spend about 5 minutes instead of 5 seconds..... well, as you would guess, after this, it hasn't popped out again...

Reactions: Unknownsir

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just noticed this problem with my 2017 Lusso yesterday. Could someone post some pictures of the fix as I'm a bit confused as to the fix. I detest taking it to the Dodge dealer 60 miles away I bought the car from since they don't appear to have a clue when I called them. Thanks in advance.

Bill B.

·
Registered
143 Posts
After seeing what a nightmare it was going to be taking my car to a dealer to repair the sagging liner, I ordered the parts from Mazda today per their service bulletin. Closest Fiat dealer to me is over 100 miles away and I have to leave the car for most likely several days or come back once parts are ordered. The parts are 2 retaining clips at $2.66 each. UPS shipping is $12.00. I took the car to a auto upholstery shop today and he told me if I can't install the clips or don't understand how to, he will do it for at no charge.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
This happened to me when i got the car, took it to the dealer, it happened again.

Took it once more, emphatically and they’ve so far permanently fixed it. It’s all about correct “installation”.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My headliner also kept falling down from the top of the rear window and I used some very small strands of butyl rubber tape (waterproofing tape) and it has held fine for a couple of months and I bring the top up and down every day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone on this thread know the part number for the clips that are mentioned. I am having the same issue where the headliner comes loose and sags over the back window. When I put it back in it will immediately come back out when the top is lowered. the dealership wants to sell me a new top at 4K

·
Registered
4 Posts
After seeing what a nightmare it was going to be taking my car to a dealer to repair the sagging liner, I ordered the parts from Mazda today per their service bulletin. Closest Fiat dealer to me is over 100 miles away and I have to leave the car for most likely several days or come back once parts are ordered. The parts are 2 retaining clips at $2.66 each. UPS shipping is $12.00. I took the car to a auto upholstery shop today and he told me if I can't install the clips or don't understand how to, he will do it for at no charge.
Do you happen to know the part number for the clips that are mentioned. I am having the same issue where the headliner comes loose and sags over the back window. When I put it back in it will immediately come back out when the top is lowered. the dealership wants to sell me a new top at 4K

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pried the clips on the headliner open a wee bit, and then press hard til it snaps back in and run hand all along and ensure snapped. Stays in now.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Do you happen to know the part number for the clips that are mentioned. I am having the same issue where the headliner comes loose and sags over the back window. When I put it back in it will immediately come back out when the top is lowered. the dealership wants to sell me a new top at 4K
How old is your car ? If still under warranty then you are covered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How old is your car ? If still under warranty then you are covered.
It’s a 2017 Abarth with 17k in mileage . The local Fiat dealer said it was not covered. I Purchased the car about six weeks ago from a dealer in another state so it’s a pain to go back to them. They were not a Fiat dealership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
N247-R1-230 and N247-R1-280 are the miata part numbers. Search on Mazda TSB R017/16C and it will show you how they say to repair it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
N247-R1-230 and N247-R1-280 are the miata part numbers. Search on Mazda TSB R017/16C and it will show you how they say to repair it.
Also FYI. I tried the clips two years ago and they did not work for me. I put Loctite Ultragel super glue the length of the two plastic pieces. Held it up overnight so it would not drip out. Never had the problem again. I have the two clips (free) if you would like them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts