Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..... located in sunny SW Florida. I'm here to learn a little about the Spider to help me decide if it will be my next new car. I had a brief test ride and enjoyed the experience. My biggest concern is quality and reliability, is it what one expects from a Japanese car or from an Italian car?....

Paul

·
Registered
479 Posts
this car is a miata beneath it's skin. if you have a local SCCA chapter, you will notice the miata is a quite common car for autocross and track usage. it's popularity is due to a quality build and good sound engineering. the engine which is the Italian piece of the equation is the power plant, which is used in such vehicles as the fiat 500, dodge dart, and jeep renegade. these cars are assembled in Mazda's Hiroshima assembly plant, so it would be my assumption the build quality should be pretty good. my only serious question in the equation is in the event of warranty service, would be whether the local dodge dealership is the best for service...

·
Registered
103 Posts
We've owned ours for a year now. Not a single problem or issue, Build quality seems good. I like the fact that it's mostly Japanese for that reason.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Actually, while the engines are similar to the ones made in Michigan, the124 engines are indeed made in Italy. Check your sticker...no U.S. Parts.

Engine is made right here in Dundee Michigan....

Reactions: Roadscum and Seagas

·
Registered
468 Posts
4 months, 4,000 happy miles.

Driving my Abarth brings me joy.

Your miles may vary.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your input folks. My prior experiences with reliability and support of all mechanical things manufactured in Italy, cars, motorcycles, bicycles , ect... has painted me cautious.

In 2004 I owned a Miataspeed MX5 and it was a fun toy. My only compliant was the poor quality of the leather seating that show significant sighs of wear on the seat bolster in just a few thousand miles. Seems the Spider may suffer from the same..... but it sure is purdy!

Paul

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks for all your input folks. My prior experiences with reliability and support of all mechanical things manufactured in Italy, cars, motorcycles, bicycles , ect... has painted me cautious.

In 2004 I owned a Miataspeed MX5 and it was a fun toy. My only compliant was the poor quality of the leather seating that show significant sighs of wear on the seat bolster in just a few thousand miles. Seems the Spider may suffer from the same..... but it sure is purdy!

Paul
If its any help, I'm a big guy, 6'2", and have nearly 14K on mine with the side bolster on the driver seat only now beginning to show a slight lightening, no doubt from my belt every time I get in and out. My wife's side of the car looks brand new.

Reactions: Roadscum
1 - 11 of 11 Posts