Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just picked up a 2017 124 Spider Abarth (Nero Cinema) just a little over a week ago, and love it immensely.

I've been having the bug in my ear for a fun summer car to have as an alternate to my daily driver, a 2015 Jeep Patriot.

The question for me was, "Which one?" The series 3 & 4 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce intrigued me, but the challenge of maintenance tempered my enthusiasm. I was also considering a C5 or C6 Corvette, but I'd have to sell a kidney just to keep one fed. An XK8 was also on my short list, until I realized I needed to budget for repairs, which aren't cheap for Jags.

Incidentally, an MX5 was never on the radar. Not sure why. But I was coming back to the 2017 124. I really wanted one with the limited slip differential, which limited my choice to the Abarth. I also wanted one with a stick and not much else. FYI, the quick order code for that is a 21C (MT Abarth, before any options are considered).

I couldn't find one to save my life; every time I made an inquiry with a dealer, it's been sold. After being encouraged to expand my search, the dealer I was working with snagged one with the Safety & Security package, which added about $1500 to the base price.

Only problem was that I needed a quick course on driving a stick. I had two friends from work provide the basics, and another friend who gave me lessons with the 124 (after stalling it several times en route to his place, lol).

Since then I ended up getting a spare tire for a Prius C (fits the front wheels only; rear calipers rub on the rim), as well as a jack. Now I'm ready for my road trip.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
How come no one shows up on my door step with a new Abarth asking me to teach them to drive a stick!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Incidentally, an MX5 was never on the radar.

Thanks,

John

Ditto. Spider (Abarth!) or bust. Congrats and welcome.

Oh, and that car is parked a little close to you for my liking. Might be ok for a Mazda but not for a member of the Spider family ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How come no one shows up on my door step with a new Abarth asking me to teach them to drive a stick!
My friend/instructor liked how the car felt when he was going through the gears; he thought it would do well for long distance driving.

A 520-mile weekend jaunt I took to rural northwest Wisconsin proved him right. The only thing limiting the cruising range was my periodic need to tap a kidney.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts