Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new guy here. Today, I initiated the process of bringing a fellow Italian countryman into my garage to keep company with Sophia, my Moto Guzzi V7II Stone motorcycle. I made a deposit on a 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Classica. Red, rag top, stick shift. The quintessential Gentleman's Roadster. What more do you need?

Over 30 years of driving I've owned a series of very uninspiring vehicles. Vanilla cars and trucks and a boring midsize SUV. I dearly love motorcycles and will ride until... I can't. But for just as long as I've loved motorcycles I've had an affinity toward the small Euro convertibles. The Triumph TR6 belonging to a high school friend's father. The Alfa Romeo Graduate. Another pal's MG Midget. And as recent times have reminded me, I'm not getting any younger, and dreams don't fulfill themselves. It was time to act. But I'm not a gear head, I could not go old school, I had to buy new.

Yep, the window sticker states a 75% Japan origination, and a 20% Italy origination (hmmm, where'd that last 5% go?), but even though it came off the Mazda MX5 line, to me this car says Italy, and I love it. Japanese quality, Italian style. Perfect.

On a day off earlier this week I went to a local dealer and confirmed my emotional suspicions, that I was likely to fall head over heals for this car. And on this early afternoon in the dead of Minnesota winter where little was happening in an Italian sports car dealership, I was invited to take the Abarth version for a ride. In a word, tremendous. (Keep in mind my motoring background.) I've never been in a car with such minimal body roll while tossing the steering wheel back and forth in the bends. Yes, the roads were dry and clean on this winter day. "On rails", comes to mind. The exhaust barks, and ride is firm but not bone shaking. Then the salesman asked if I'd like to try the Classica in comparison. "Why yes, I would." Not being on a racetrack, I'll state that the engines were the same to me. But where the Abarth barked, the Classica purred. Where the Abarth had me feel the road, the Classica cushioned me from the road, just enough. Where the Abarth taunted me to push it, likely over time in ways where I would endanger myself, the Classica invited me to journey over hill and dale in comfort and style. Gentlemanly.

Arrival time will be sometime in the spring, the one I'm buying is on its way to town. And I am stoked! I am going to make sure that the summer of 2017 will be a good one. In the mean time I'll be reading threads, searching the archives for answers to questions I have, and maybe posting a few new ones along the way.

Steve.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from a fellow midwesterner!

It sounds like you got exactly what you wanted and needed from your purchase. If you're looking for fun this summer you should check out the 2017 FIAT Freakout! It's in Milwaukee, this year so it's relatively close to you. Here's a small thread on the topic: http://www.124spider.org/forum/35-mid-west/8274-fiat-freakout-summer-2017-july-19-23-a.html

It looks like the Midwest is filling up with 124 Spiders and it would be cool to meet some and set up some cruises. We just need this nice summer days where we can put the top down and let the air through our hair.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 2na, I'll look into that event. It will be fun keeping an eye on the oncoming traffic flow for that next Spider.

Wind in my hair. Uh, I need hair! I'm destined to be a hat wearing Spider owner.

I'll tell you, though, seeing the stock of Italian goods on the showroom floor of this Fiat/Alfa dealer is quite something. You just won't see goods like these at the typical American dealerships. Very exciting stuff.

Steve.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Firstly, I must say that was quite the write-up as I was physically visualizing everything you were talking about. You definitely have a way with words!

But congratulations on making the jump and pulling the trigger. There comes a time when we just gotta do what we gotta do considering we aren't here forever lol.

I'm sure this 124 will bring you lots of joy and I can't wait to read some more well-written pieces when you obtain the vehicle :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Stevet: Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of help here from a bunch of knowledgable people eager to answer questions and share experiences. I too had my heart stolen by a Classica.. for a purer "sport car experience" I have an X1/9 and a Bugeye
Sprite and a recently completed Factory Five MK4 Roadster. The Classica adds a little class and a supple, yet responsive handling experience. I traded a C5 Vette for it. Zero buyers remorse. A great ride. Open roadster with A/C, power windows and locks, great styling....what more do you need???

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Stewie. I do enjoy writing about things which make me excited and enthusiastic. Over the past year or so I've been doing some writing for a regional motorcycle publication- Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly. The pay stinks, but it's a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to sharing here as well.

Take care,
Steve.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For about a half mile, I test drove those cars with the top down. It was a sunny 16 degree F. With the windows rolled up and the heater blowing on high, it wasn't too bad.

Steve.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stevet: Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of help here from a bunch of knowledgable people eager to answer questions and share experiences. I too had my heart stolen by a Classica.. for a purer "sport car experience" I have an X1/9 and a Bugeye
Sprite and a recently completed Factory Five MK4 Roadster. The Classica adds a little class and a supple, yet responsive handling experience. I traded a C5 Vette for it. Zero buyers remorse. A great ride. Open roadster with A/C, power windows and locks, great styling....what more do you need???
Bugeye owner as well :) Should be interesting when Bugeye/S2000/CBR500 and Fiat season opens :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Stevet,

Nice to have another Minnesotan in the group. Welcome to the forum. I'm still waiting for my Abarth to arrive at Schmelz's. It's been a long wait (ordered 4/8/16) but at least I have a VIN & Priced Order Confirmation to give me hope. The groundhog saw it's shadow last week so it looks like another 6 more weeks of winter!
Drew

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Stevet,

Nice to have another Minnesotan in the group. Welcome to the forum. I'm still waiting for my Abarth to arrive at Schmelz's. It's been a long wait (ordered 4/8/16) but at least I have a VIN & Priced Order Confirmation to give me hope. The groundhog saw it's shadow last week so it looks like another 6 more weeks of winter!
Drew
Hi Drew, and thanks. I don't know where you are located, but I'm guessing mine will be the first to tour the NE Mpls area.

4-8-16? WOW! I guess you've requested something quite specific. I'm glad to read that you're making some progress with it. Hopefully it arrives for you by the time the roads are good again. Mine, too.

Schmelz is where I've placed my order for the Classica. They seem quite enthusiastic about the Italian marques they are now selling. When I arrived on Saturday the place was pretty quiet, strange for a midday Saturday. Then my salesman came out to find me (we had an appointment time) and immediately brought me out to the back shop where darn near the whole staff (and probably other customers) was congregated around three Alfa Giulias that were literally being unwrapped from their full tyvek blankets as we stood there. This was their first shipment of these cars. Everyone was absolutely giddy with excitement. Good to see, sales people excited about a product they have to sell. Way too rich for my wallet. Very nice cars, though!

See you out on the road!

Steve.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Drew, and thanks. I don't know where you are located, but I'm guessing mine will be the first to tour the NE Mpls area.
I can't remember any great drives within City limits, particularly NE or SE Minneapolis.

However, I'm contemplating organizing something small in Northeast Wi on some of the back roads I remember fondly from my youth. If I do, I'll be sure to post here for you and @2naCanDan

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can't remember any great drives within City limits, particularly NE or SE Minneapolis.

However, I'm contemplating organizing something small in Northeast Wi on some of the back roads I remember fondly from my youth. If I do, I'll be sure to post here for you and @2naCanDan
That would be awesome! I've actually never been up to Door County or the U.P. Furthest I've been is Green Bay but never went further.

·
Registered
257 Posts
...three Alfa Giulias that were literally being unwrapped from their full tyvek blankets as we stood there. This was their first shipment of these cars. Everyone was absolutely giddy with excitement. Good to see, sales people excited about a product they have to sell. Way too rich for my wallet. Very nice cars, though!
Pretty sure I was behind the truck hauling those to the dealer while I was on my way to the cycle show. All I could see were the wheels and the exhaust pipes, and I thought, I don't know what they are but they sure look expensive.

Anyways, welcome - I've got a base model red Classica also but opted for the auto. I had a Guzzi too up until a few years ago. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
That would be awesome! I've actually never been up to Door County or the U.P. Furthest I've been is Green Bay but never went further.
Pontiac Solstice clubs also used to make regular runs around the dells, which may be substantially closer to you.
The interwebs may turn up some great routes closer to you, Dan.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The winding roads on Brockway Mountain on the tip of the UP are beautiful in the fall. Something about all the copper up there seems to make the fall leaves brighter than anywhere I have been before. :)
Drew

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
iamz, I thought I recognized your handle from WildGuzzi. Good to see you again.

Seamus, I should have represented the tongue in the cheek about touring NE Mpls. SE MN, SW WI, and NE IA is my motorcycling playground, and I'm really looking forward to rolling through in the ragtop, too!

Drew- yes! Brockway Mountain and the whole Keweenaw Peninsula of the MI U.P., gorgeous. What's that highway number...? Between Eagle River MI to Copper Harbor MI... sweet! Anyway, and stopping for some baked goods from the monks' bakery on that same road. Oh, and US 41 running right up the middle of the peninsula, some nice curves on that one, too, way up there. Where is springtime?

Steve.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Stevet . Welcome to the club. Mpls resident here. Picked up my white pearla Abarth from Fiat of Mpls in October. Loving it! Where in MN are you located?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts