Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Ron, living in Bucks County, PA. I don't yet own a 124, but I'm not new to Fiats. My first car was a '71 124 Sport Coupe, bought in 1974 with about 80,000 miles on the odometer. and which I loved (my bro, by the way, had a 128 4 door sedan, which he did not love so much, but that's a whole other story). My Sport Coupe got me through my last year and a half of high school, and 4 years of university with not too many issues, electrics being it's weakest system, and sold it to a friend with just over 150,000 miles on the odometer. Great car.

In the modern day we bought a 500 L in January of 2014, still have it and still love it. Bought a 500X in February of 2017, and I like it, though not as much as the Elle. I'm fairly certain that I'd much prefer the 2019 and later 500X's with the 1.3 liter turbo, and the 2nd generation of the ZF 9-speed that apparently is quite an improvement over the 2.4 liter with first gen ZF 9 Speed combo.

I've been eyeballing the 124 for a long time now, and though I'm having a little bit of trouble bringing the wife on board with the idea, I still hope to acquire one in the not to distant future. Been looking at one for sale in Greensboro, NC. I'd post the Cars.com link but I'm not sure of the forum rules.

This particular example has, best as I can tell, just about every option box ticked, save the black hood/deck lid. (so, all the packages, the Aisin automatic (which would be a concession to my wife) the Recaro's, the tri-coat white paint etc.). It has just over 10K miles on the odo, $22,800 is the asking price. Talked to one of the sale people, sounds like the price is pretty firm, maybe just a bit of wiggle room. I note that it has what looks to be a Magnaflow aftermarket exhaust, though it has the Abarth fender badge that would/could imply that the car had once been fitted with the Record Monza exhaust, or perhaps it's just a cosmetic add on. In any case, I'm fairly certain that I'd like the sound of the Magnaflow, based on what one can tell by Youtube videos, anyway.

Good deal?

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy, and I really enjoy and appreciate this forum, what with all its enthusiastic member support.

Cheers!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome. I spent part of my childhood in Newtown back when it was just pig farms. Now it's firmly Philly burbs.

What year is the one you're looking at? I think you can do better than $22.8.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Hi on,Ron here....Bound to happen Mate, Interesting read,another ex 124 Spider Coupe man on board, quite a few returnies now, I saw my first one late 1960's Red and Beautiful; Alas,I was a very young Serviceman at the time so empty pockets but I did think..."One Day" and over a year ago found my Spider Classica and with the information gained here and on 21st Century 124 Spider website have spent a fortune but enjoyed tremendously Modding the Spider to suit me. Whichever model you buy they are all Brilliant pieces of kit. Classica-blank canvass basic sports car. Luso-Luxury sporty ride whilst "Abarth" is a sportsing piece of history at a great price for you guys, Enjoy, Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Hi on,Ron here....Bound to happen Mate, Interesting read,another ex 124 Spider Coupe man on board, quite a few returnies now, I saw my first one late 1960's Red and Beautiful; Alas,I was a very young Serviceman at the time so empty pockets but I did think..."One Day" and over a year ago found my Spider Classica and with the information gained here and on 21st Century 124 Spider website have spent a fortune but enjoyed tremendously Modding the Spider to suit me. Whichever model you buy they are all Brilliant pieces of kit. Classica-blank canvass basic sports car. Luso-Luxury sporty ride whilst "Abarth" is a sportsing piece of history at a great price for you guys, Enjoy, Cheers
The missing s in Lusso went and hid itself in sporting ! My enthusiasm, excited for you Ron,,,and listen to Kain....Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome. I spent part of my childhood in Newtown back when it was just pig farms. Now it's firmly Philly burbs.

What year is the one you're looking at? I think you can do better than $22.8.
Hi Kain, thanks. In fact I lived for 15 years in Newtown, now living on the other side of the county. I'm a California native, and PA is definitely not Cali, but it's good living out here.

The example I'm looking at is a 2017, which I believe is the first MY to be sold in the US. So yes, it's longer on tooth chronologically, but the pictures show it to be in just about showroom condition. Even the Recaros show no wear on the piping, which I gather is a vulnerable area. Pictures can be deceiving and of course don't tell the whole story, but I'm left with the impression that the former owner was pretty anal, maybe of the type that spends more time polishing than driving. I could be wrong of course. I've never bought a car long distance before, much less in the era of Covid, so it would be difficult for me to go down to just look at it. It's being sold by a Toyota dealer in Greensboro, NC.

I just went on to KBB website which gave me a range of $20,326-$22,777, so right at the top of the range. So yes, they'd probably negotiate a bit at least. Summer is approaching fast, and if they don't see any movement, I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop the price a bit. We'll see.

I like the white, but really love the red- the red really is well suited to the lines of the car. But I'd be happy with the white too, no doubt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy Ron. Yeah this car can really grab a hold of you. I don't think I've ever seen a car so attractive for such a reasonable price ever. I've told myself that I'd keep the mods to a minimum, but on the other hand, what's the fun in that?!! I imagine getting at least a EC phase 1, though I'm going to have to research that a little more. Not sure if that tune also addresses the transmission that some have criticized as being slow to downshift and other less than ideal behavior. The Recaros' are not absolutely essential, but I've sat in both the standard and the Recaros' and my back much prefers the latter.

Well, not to prattle on, they're be plenty of time for that!

I'll have to check out your ride (if you have it in your profile). Sounds interesting. Hmm. Classica. I kind of like that Urbana Edition, but no heated seats!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Kain, thanks. In fact I lived for 15 years in Newtown, now living on the other side of the county. I'm a California native, and PA is definitely not Cali, but it's good living out here.
I grew up in norcal (San Jose) before my family moved to PA. Spent most of my life on the East coast, but can't take the Cali out completely.

Regarding the Spider, throw out the playbook when it comes to buying a car, especially long distance. None of the value algorithms can factor in a pandemic. That said, if you're patient I'm sure you can squeeze another grand or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I grew up in norcal (San Jose) before my family moved to PA. Spent most of my life on the East coast, but can't take the Cali out completely.

Regarding the Spider, throw out the playbook when it comes to buying a car, especially long distance. None of the value algorithms can factor in a pandemic. That said, if you're patient I'm sure you can squeeze another grand or so.
How 'bout that. Grew up in Oxnard, but lived in San Jose for 4 years while attending SJSU, then Mountain View for about 3 plus or minus while in the Navy.

I've lived in PA longer than anywhere else on the planet though, but a fair margin.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would keep shopping, going with a 2017 you will not have much warranty left. There are deals to be had on them, just gotta shop them hard!

Good luck with your search!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would keep shopping, going with a 2017 you will not have much warranty left. There are deals to be had on them, just gotta shop them hard!

Good luck with your search!!
Hello, spk. For what it's worth, the 124 described above is offered with a lifetime powertrain warranty through Fidelity. Could be something, could be nothing (Hey, only a $5000 deductible. Not bad!).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So virtually all the used 124 Abarth's I've been looking at got sold over the weekend. 'Tis the season. I'll probably have to start looking outside of the usual Cars.com and Autotrader for my searches, but where?

If I can be patient, I imagine that the best deals will be found on the back side of summer. Still, hate to loose the summer.

In the meanwhile, I'm thinking I might spend the time and some dough on the 500L. Thinking maybe a diverter valve, a tune, some Katzkin leather seat covers. Maybe do something to the exhaust, but nothing too loud. Anyway, that's for another forum.

·
Registered
2017 FIAT 124 Abarth
4 Posts
So virtually all the used 124 Abarth's I've been looking at got sold over the weekend. 'Tis the season. I'll probably have to start looking outside of the usual Cars.com and Autotrader for my searches, but where?

If I can be patient, I imagine that the best deals will be found on the back side of summer. Still, hate to loose the summer.

In the meanwhile, I'm thinking I might spend the time and some dough on the 500L. Thinking maybe a diverter valve, a tune, some Katzkin leather seat covers. Maybe do something to the exhaust, but nothing too loud. Anyway, that's for another forum.
Check Carvana.com. I got my '17 Abarth from them last October. All the paperwork was done online including financing, it was delivered to my driveway, and I had seven days to turn it back to them for a full refund, or $1 a mile for if I drove it over 400 miles. It was the best car buying experience I ever had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts