Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been looking around and this seems to be one of the more active 124 Spider forums. :D

I'm a 2 day old owner of a 2017 124 Abarth in Grigio Argento.
Short story on how I became the proud owner of it:
Have been talking to my wife about a new Honda Goldwing (I'm a big time motorcycle rider, currently have a Yamaha FJR that I do LD rides on) to add to my stable.
This is the FJR I normally ride (got rid of my 2005 Goldwing) and it was taken on a trip from Texas to W. Virginia. Stopped off at the Wild Turkey distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY on the trip back. Rode the bike up there (21 hours) straight on an iron butt ride .

And for the sharp eyed amongst anyone, yes that is a car tire mounted on the back of the FJR.

Had also commented to her it would be nice to get a Jeep Wrangler again. She's been after me to get off the bike after a friend was killed on one so she asked me a few days ago if I was still interested in a Jeep. Needless to say, I told her sure! Hit online to look at the local inventory and find one in Ennis (about an hour drive away) that meets what I wanted. I knew that sometimes our local Dodge/Jeep dealer didn't keep their web inventory updated so as we were headed out to Ennis to see about working a deal we swung into the local dealership lot... fatal mistake. There near the front door was the Abarth and it was in my favorite color scheme (the same as the Jeep I was looking at in fact). Took it for a test drive and on the way back told the wife that she could forget about the Jeep, I'd just found a 4 wheel version of the GoldWing for me. ;)

She's an AT with the base equipment, which is fine with me as my knees aren't what they used to be - one of the reasons she's been after me to get off the bike - and I don't like a lot of "fluff" on my rides. The only exception is that the dealership is getting the Nav card in as part of our deal and is trying to find out if the factory radio can be upgraded by them to Sirius ability by adding in the antenna and module since it has the XM grayed out. In the mean time they are paying to put in a Sirius Commander module that ties in via the accessory plug.

I've been perusing some of the toys for her, but I'm going to give it a bit of time before I do much more than the Forge BOV.

A little about me... I'm retired at 54 years young. My career consisted of working for state and municipal agencies in Texas (correctional officer, law enforcement and then computer - network admin). I currently run several forums on the 'net (a pipe forum, a recumbent bike/trike and a Linux site). The sites help me keep my feet in the water on the computer aspect, but I prefer being on the roads on nice days.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Welcome aboard fellow Texan! You got the link to the pipe forum, please?
Wasn't sure about links - it's in the user profile but the site is called The Pipe Stand. I am just getting back into pipes after a 30 year hiatus... was a long time cigar smoker. So I'm still learning the ins/outs about pipes. There just aren't that many sites (forums) out there compared to some other niche topics.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Welcome. Not really such a huge step from a Goldwing to four wheels really. LOL

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome. Not really such a huge step from a Goldwing to four wheels really. LOL
Thanks... this thing is as much (if not more) fun than the old (2005) Goldwing I had and the extra benefit is the wife can now safely go along. She was laughing at me yesterday as I was going around our loop and taking every exit ramp (which has some nice curving in them) on the way back home from going out to eat.
I'm ready for the wildflowers to start blooming and then taking a trip to drive the Three Sisters. Being Texas, we don't have anything near the level of the Dragon (which is another destination we plan on going to) but we do have some nice scenery!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks... this thing is as much (if not more) fun than the old (2005) Goldwing I had and the extra benefit is the wife can now safely go along. She was laughing at me yesterday as I was going around our loop and taking every exit ramp (which has some nice curving in them) on the way back home from going out to eat.
I'm ready for the wildflowers to start blooming and then taking a trip to drive the Three Sisters. Being Texas, we don't have anything near the level of the Dragon (which is another destination we plan on going to) but we do have some nice scenery!
I used to live in Corsicana, and learned to drive in the Piney Woods. You are right about beautiful scenery.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I used to live in Corsicana, and learned to drive in the Piney Woods. You are right about beautiful scenery.
Yep, Corsicana is only about 45 miles away (we live in Palestine). My wife used to work at the the juvenile facility there as an OIG officer and drove from here to there for several years. You DO have to watch out for the wild hogs around here - as well as the deer that like to play car tag. Of course, living here most of my life the "beauty" is normal to us and I still have a hard time taking it in when people talk about how beautiful it is.
We've already planned a Route 66 trip this upcoming year (along the old route as much as possible) out westward. Of course, she said we HAD to make an overnight stop in Flagstaff (she loves that area). Got to get it in before our son gets his CPA and then moves out of town - he watches our five dogs for us when we take a trip. ;)

When we took the car over to show him, he developed a weird gleam in his eye and wanted to know if he could "borrow" it every now and then. He's got a 2008 Mustang tricked out and I know what he has in mind.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yep, Corsicana is only about 45 miles away (we live in Palestine). My wife used to work at the the juvenile facility there as an OIG officer and drove from here to there for several years. You DO have to watch out for the wild hogs around here - as well as the deer that like to play car tag. Of course, living here most of my life the "beauty" is normal to us and I still have a hard time taking it in when people talk about how beautiful it is.
We've already planned a Route 66 trip this upcoming year (along the old route as much as possible) out westward. Of course, she said we HAD to make an overnight stop in Flagstaff (she loves that area). Got to get it in before our son gets his CPA and then moves out of town - he watches our five dogs for us when we take a trip. ;)

When we took the car over to show him, he developed a weird gleam in his eye and wanted to know if he could "borrow" it every now and then. He's got a 2008 Mustang tricked out and I know what he has in mind.
When you get your plans firmed up, let me know. Perhaps we could meet up and compare cars over some coffee and danish or some Frito pie made with Wolf Brand chili.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts