Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well....my wife saw a new 124 at a car show here in the Detroit area and she had to have one.

So, she drove a Classica with an auto and said "this car needs a stick".

Then she saw the Abarth and asked "what is that?".

So, now we get do a one way flight and drive 1400 miles back home next week to pick up a red Abarth with a 6 speed manual. Fun!

Anyhow, I am a car guy with a 1970 Corvette (did a frame off on it a few years ago), a 2007 Corvette, and a 1969 442.

I have a nice Rotary lift in the garage so if anyone on the forum needs to inspect their car, install an exhaust or do an oil change, drop me a line.

Tom
Macomb, MI

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome!
The red Abarth manual is the best (although I am not what you would call impartial).
Pack light, use the sport button, and the trip will be awesome!

Cheers

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Tom, I think we would all like to see pictures of your new car. I for one would also like to see a picture of the 442. Congratulations.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Welcome, Tom, and by extension, Tom's Wife. (Don't forget to have her chime in here, too. We could use a bit more of a feminine touch around this board.)

Assuming that she will be doing a good bit, if not most, of the driving on the way home, and that you are if at least average height for a man, you may find the legroom of the passenger side a bit on the cramped side. She may as well if she is long-legged. Anyway, a few around here have followed this procedure to gain more passenger side legroom. In my Classica, styrofoam is the offender. In Lusso/Abarth trims, it is a Bose bass speaker. Anyway, I removed my foam yesterday and gained adult size comfort again so people taller than my petite wife can ride in the car. Just food for thought.

https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wordpress.com/2017/01/23/gaining-passenger-side-legroom/

Steve.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Nice collection. Would you get the Fiat in yellow if you could? ;)

(As a side note, I was at the corvette show in Canton, yesterday).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice collection. Would you get the Fiat in yellow if you could? ;)

(As a side note, I was at the corvette show in Canton, yesterday).
I would love to hit a Corvette show again. It's been awhile. We used to go to Bloomington Gold every year back in the 1990's.

I don't know how the Fiat would look in Yellow. If I recall, the older 124's were available in a bright, sunflower yellow.

My first choice in color for this 2017 was silver with the Heritage Package. She wanted red without the stripe (too masculine she says). She also wanted either the micro-fiber or Recaro seats. I prefer the hard leather seats. She also wanted the Brembo brakes but that pretty much made the car unobtanium with what is available here in the states.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, we picked the car up in Houston and drove it back 1500 miles to Detroit over three days. Great car, not the best for cross country travel, but it did very well.

Here is a shot of my wife and her dream car.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry Gear Head, I came to Ann Arbor and stole a red Abarth w/stick right out from under your nose on March 30th! Go Bucks!

Good for your wife wanting to stick. Mine did too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry Gear Head, I came to Ann Arbor and stole a red Abarth w/stick right out from under your nose on March 30th! Go Bucks!

Good for your wife wanting to stick. Mine did too.
Yup, it seems Ann Arbor had a couple. When we started this journey, I had a deposit on a white Abarth out of Ann Arbor with a stick. He tried to get us a red one and couldn't. We pulled the deposit and he sold the white one within a couple of days. Nice people, but limited by the US dealer stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts