Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

I'm hoping to become the proud owner of a US 124 Abarth with a manual transmission.

I've been a long time lover of BMW, and have been building, racing and generally tinkering with all kinds of Bavarian iron for years and years. But I think it's time for a change.

Just sold a manual m235i, as it was simply too much. Too much weight when it broke loose. Too much power and torque for me to feel good about unleashing on a mountain road. I loved it, but I'm hoping for something with better rotation, more chassis feedback, and less power (I know... Atypical!).

I've driven the new Abarth 124, and I think it fits the bill... Hoping to pick one up soon. Maybe even today, if I can coordinate a ride to the dealer!

I've already been lurking here forsome time, and the aftermarket support I've seen here, as well as the general enthusiasm, have been big factors in my decision to move away from BMW and try something new!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You're going have a lot of fun throwing the Abarth 124 around curvy trails and mountain roads. The m235i is more of a straight shooter IMO.

·
Registered
727 Posts
...Just sold a manual m235i, as it was simply too much. Too much weight when it broke loose. Too much power and torque for me to feel good about unleashing on a mountain road..
Good point. My last sports car, a Corvette, had 436 HP and could get scary on mountain roads when pushed (I think of the late actor Paul Walker). I feel much more control with the Abarth and it's just plain fun.

Reactions: HWY84

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome, all! I have already been checking out Eurocompulsion and Good-Win - great to hear they are good to deal with.

As far as the fun factor, I can't wait to find out for myself...

...and it looks like tomorrow is the day! I just put a deposit down on an Abarth a few hundred miles away... I'm hopping on a plane tomorrow to pick it up and drive it home! So excited!! Here's hoping it goes off without a hitch!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, all! I have already been checking out Eurocompulsion and Good-Win - great to hear they are good to deal with.

As far as the fun factor, I can't wait to find out for myself...

...and it looks like tomorrow is the day! I just put a deposit down on an Abarth a few hundred miles away... I'm hopping on a plane tomorrow to pick it up and drive it home! So excited!! Here's hoping it goes off without a hitch!
Try and sleep tonight, and take an Ambien if necessary. I'm excited for you! It's mandatory on this forum to post pictures immediately.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Funny, I recently drove a manual 230i MSport back to back against an M240 and I really liked it and thought it was a sweeter car than the M240.

I hear you though. We have a BRZ and a Abarth 124 so I'm a convert to the "fun first" thing.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Did your M235i have LSD? I would always favour a proper mechanical LSD on every car I buy. And and it should be standard on the M235i/M240i

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did your M235i have LSD? I would always favour a proper mechanical LSD on every car I buy. And and it should be standard on the M235i/M240i
It did indeed. In fact, that was the reason I bought that specific car, despite the fact that it also had every other option box ticked, and was therefore stupid expensive. It had the factory optional mechanical LSD... Which I almost never felt in action because the thing had so much mechanical grip in the rear anyhow that only injudicious throttle use spun up the inside tire enough to get the lockup working.

It should indeed be standard, I agree.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh - and...

Drove 580 miles on the new Abarth today!! What a sweet car! So confidence inspiring and fun in the canyons!

I'll post a full report and some video later but for now: HUGE PROPS to desertFIAT in Victorville, California.

Eric at desertFIAT did the whole deal with me over the phone between my meetings, got me a great price, AND met me at the Ontario airport - 45 minutes from their dealership - with the car when I got off the plane! I have literally never ever had service like this.

He even put a couple bottles of water and some snacks in the car for my long drive home!

I could not be happier!

If you're reading this, and your looking for a 124, reach out to them: http://www.desertfiat.com

You won't believe it. I feel so lucky to have found this car, and this group of folks. Way above and beyond...

And, of course, the obligatory photo!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forum. I am also an E30 fan, and an E28 fan. I still have an E28 535i.

I love your car, I made the picture big for you:

Greg
Thanks!

I too am both and E30 and E28 fan - I race an e28 533i in the 24 hours of lemons series, and it's proven to be an incredibly capable car.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am also an E30 fan, and an E28 fan. I still have an E28 535i.

I love your car, I made the picture big for you:

Greg
Beautiful desert photo, HWY84. Congratulations. How great that you could take it on a 300+ mile road trip right out of the chute.

Greg (or anyone else), how do you enlarge photos on this forum?

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Greg (or anyone else), how do you enlarge photos on this forum?
I usually put them on site (I use Photobucket) and then use an image link
on the other side of the image URL.

Reactions: LongBeachJim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you like the E28, you may like my tech article. http://www.hiperformancestore.com/motronic.htm

Greg
Thanks for taking the time to make that! May come in very handy, as our M30 is SUPER tired, and using tons of oil. I am looking for another of that generation motor, so I don't have to hassle with electrical, but I may be moving to the later 3.5, as they are easier to come by, and make more power... and your guide will help my understanding!

Reactions: Greg
1 - 16 of 16 Posts