Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my new 124 Spider Lusso in May. Had to import it from another province. It's been great fun zipping around the city all summer long. Finally saw another driver with the Abarth version a few weeks back. It's certainly getting a lot of attention. Would like to know if anyone has any experience driving their Spider in extreme cold temperatures? I know the MX5 can do it, but I've heard maybe not so for the Spider. No block heater was a post-sale surprise to both me and my dealer. Cheers!

·
Registered
480 Posts
if I am not mistaken, there is a oil plug block heater. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere, but my attention was not really piqued. after all, it has been couple of years since it has dropped below freezing here.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome...I wonder with synthetic oil, do you still need a block heater ? of course it always helps..i would also check on the fiat 500 web sites....there should be a plug for sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Rob,

I'm in Calgary, I drove mine all winter without problem, I did have the oil pan heater installed, as the block has an opening, but it is covered due to the install orientation of the engine in the 124. Have Nokian Studded ice tires, heater works well... as does the defog...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hey Rob,

I'm in Calgary, I drove mine all winter without problem, I did have the oil pan heater installed as the block has an opening, but it is covered due to the install orientation of the engine in the 124. Have Nokian Studded ice tires, heater works well... as does the defog...
Snowbarth - did you get a second set of wheels for your ice tires and - if so - did you stick with 17's or drop down a size?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I should of down sized for comfort and well-being, but I run the stock rims for winter and a set of aftermarkets for summer, both 17". The nokian's are a little on the overkill side of things, but I thought the rear end would be too kickable in the snow without them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts