Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I've encountered my first problem. I noticed that my home button is firmly stuck in the 'pressed' position. I can't work out when it would have happened and there is no chance liquid got in there. I've had a go at vacuuming the area but nothing makes it budge.

Shortly afterwards or at the same time the direction controls on the commander knob stopped working. It will still push in and rotate correctly, but when I use the knob as a joystick (moving the knob itself left right or up down) nothing happens.

I can't work out the cause. Has anyone experienced or heard of this? Any tips on fix? I dread dealing with my deal for a warranty claim.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm sure if the system is receiving a constant press from a button that will affect the rest of the operations. You really need to have the dealer fix this. I don't know of anyone on this board that has reported such an issue.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi all!

I've encountered my first problem. I noticed that my home button is firmly stuck in the 'pressed' position. I can't work out when it would have happened and there is no chance liquid got in there. I've had a go at vacuuming the area but nothing makes it budge.

Shortly afterwards or at the same time the direction controls on the commander knob stopped working. It will still push in and rotate correctly, but when I use the knob as a joystick (moving the knob itself left right or up down) nothing happens.

I can't work out the cause. Has anyone experienced or heard of this? Any tips on fix? I dread dealing with my deal for a warranty claim.
Following up - this was suggested on the Mazda site:

If it needs to be serviced, the Console has to be removed and the commander assembly unscrewed from the console.

Instead, I would try a small paint brush (think water colors or hobby) dip in very lightly soapy water, jab the bristles into the gap around the button, push the button a few times, then go around several times constantly dabbing in the cleanser, and then work the gap, repeat. Don't drown it, don't give it a shower, think sponge bath instead... Then let it dry a while before turning the car on and trying..

·
Registered
575 Posts
That sounds like something that could definitely work and it's worth the effort. But if you do that and it doesn't work, then you take it back, would they cover the repairs if they see dried soap suds inside?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Since you've not spilled any liquid there I'd say it is a grain if dirt or sand wedged between the button and facia panel. It may have gone in under the facia forcing you to remove the panel to get at it. If it were me I'd try a shot with the blow gun before I tore it apart. If the button moves at all, a shop vac may dislodge it if the buttom were moved with the vac was doing it's job.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree with blow gun or

Since you've not spilled any liquid there I'd say it is a grain if dirt or sand wedged between the button and facia panel. It may have gone in under the facia forcing you to remove the panel to get at it. If it were me I'd try a shot with the blow gun before I tore it apart. If the button moves at all, a shop vac may dislodge it if the buttom were moved with the vac was doing it's job.
Can of compressed air, like you use on your keyboard. Hold down the button, and spray air, while releasing and pressing the button to dislodge the debris.

Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a free 1 month service next Friday and have arranged for them to take a look. Hopefully it's either (a) easily fixed with some air (b) covered by warranty. I will updated this thread with the results. Thanks for the ideas everyone, but seeing as the services is coming up I think I'll wait it out and put the risk back on the dealer.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Probably the best idea. The console has to be taken apart to get under the switches anyway. That's what warranties are for.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Unless it's a manufacturing defect they may charge you. I think most dealers are smart enough not to attempt that for minor issues.

·
Registered
476 Posts
for sure let dealer address just in case. i would expect they will pull the panel and try contact cleaner and if that doesn't remedy or if it returns then order a new one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just wanted to say don't be shy about having the dealer handle warranty issues. A significant portion of what you paid, was to purchase the warranty. You are entitled to use it, if you don't abuse it. In this case, you have no way of knowing whether the button was defective or somehow got contaminated, but since you know you didn't pour a can of pop down it the contamination, if that is it, should be something the button should be designed to deal with and therefore the dealer should remedy the problem and charge it against your warranty back to FIAT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts