Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to bring my abarth in to get a spark plug tube seal replaced. The dealer updated the ECU so now i need to reset my device so I can read the file. Unfortunately I am getting an unhandled exception error message. This has happened on 3 different computers at 3 different locations.

At the end of the day EC said they have no idea how to help me and i have to figure it out myself. Obviously that's not going to happen so now i paid 850 for a brick, and am here now hoping someone here can help me.

this is the text string i am given under the details tab

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException: External component has thrown an exception.
at DWGeniusCommLib.GeniusDeviceClass.GetStatus(UInt32& wState)
at MyGeniusClient.wcProcedure.ReqMyGeniusChangeFam()
at MyGeniusClient.frmMain.brandChangeRequestToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8745 (WinRel.050727-8700)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MyGeniusClient
Assembly Version: 1.0.1.20
Win32 Version: 1.0.1.20
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MyGeniusClient/MyGeniusClient.exe
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Web.Services
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
MyGeniusClient.XmlSerializers
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MyGeniusClient/MyGeniusClient.XmlSerializers.DLL
IrisSkin4
Assembly Version: 2006.3.22.45
Win32 Version: 2006.3.22.45
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MyGeniusClient/IrisSkin4.DLL
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
Interop.DWGeniusCommLib
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MyGeniusClient/Interop.DWGeniusCommLib.DLL
lombwbe8
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
MyGeniusClient.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MyGeniusClient/en-GB/MyGeniusClient.resources.DLL
System.DirectoryServices
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.DirectoryServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.DirectoryServices.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Basic troubleshooting, have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling MyGenius?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Is this happening when you start the MyGenius application or when you plug in the unit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This occurs when trying to reset/ brand change. After it says to set the unit to reset the unit, I go to proceed then this error code pops up.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
We are willing to help (and have corresponded with you), but I've given you all of the tips that I can possibly give you, the issue is with your firewall connections blocking the Dimsport server.

The only other thing I can do to help you is just do it myself.

Send me an email and I will set up a time to connect to your computer remotely with teamviewer on Monday morning, and I will get your reset filed for you.

Go ahead and download the latest version of teamviewer.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Never would have known based on that debug export that this is a firewall related issue, and I'm a security systems engineer! I'm glad that got figured out.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Any Update? Progress? fingers crossed

·
Registered
261 Posts
After doing some things on his computer, I had a patch made for his serial OS and delivered over the server with an update and reset code.

This was a very rare occurrence, as I've never had to do something like this before, but it got sorted.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Top notch!

After doing some things on his computer, I had a patch made for his serial OS and delivered over the server with an update and reset code.

This was a very rare occurrence, as I've never had to do something like this before, but it got sorted.

Awesome...I have only been on this forum for a short time...But I found it hard to believe EC was going to wash their hands of the issue the OP was having. You guys and gals are top notch.
Aloha! :)

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There's a problem with the MyGenius COM library: the first 'at ' tells you where an adoption was thrown. It looks like there are a couple of assemblies that are loaded; one of which looks like a 'skin' library. Can you change 'skins' in the app?

Also, is there any other functionality that you can do? You need to find out if there's a problem in the MyGenius library or the install. What happens is, when a library is first used, and it isn't loaded properly (wrong .NET framework, file doesn't exist, etc.) then at that point it throws an error, and not when the application starts.

It does look like the MyGenius libraries are OK, but there's a routine in the MyGenius (GetStatus function) which errors out - actually an unmanaged exception from C or C++ code, and not Microsofts .NET - and isn't caught and handled; it just filters up and crashes the application (very bad programming). Think of it like a spark plug fails so everything in the car just shuts down.

Basically, it is certainly likely you have to talk to who developed the MyGenius application, and they need to specifically look at the GetStatus function. The ECU update has probably changed some minor parameter and that routine doesn't understand the change (like I said, poor programming).

TL;DR: The ECU update has been unanticipated by the writers of the MyGenius application and they need to fix it.

·
Vendor
3,649 Posts
Awesome...I have only been on this forum for a short time...But I found it hard to believe EC was going to wash their hands of the issue the OP was having. You guys and gals are top notch.
Aloha! :)
Thanks for your faith in us. I feel the title of this thread and some of the statements made in the first post are highly inaccurate at best. In any case, the issue has been resolved.

Greg

·
Registered
261 Posts
There's a problem with the MyGenius COM library: the first 'at ' tells you where an adoption was thrown. It looks like there are a couple of assemblies that are loaded; one of which looks like a 'skin' library. Can you change 'skins' in the app?

Also, is there any other functionality that you can do? You need to find out if there's a problem in the MyGenius library or the install. What happens is, when a library is first used, and it isn't loaded properly (wrong .NET framework, file doesn't exist, etc.) then at that point it throws an error, and not when the application starts.

It does look like the MyGenius libraries are OK, but there's a routine in the MyGenius (GetStatus function) which errors out - actually an unmanaged exception from C or C++ code, and not Microsofts .NET - and isn't caught and handled; it just filters up and crashes the application (very bad programming). Think of it like a spark plug fails so everything in the car just shuts down.

Basically, it is certainly likely you have to talk to who developed the MyGenius application, and they need to specifically look at the GetStatus function. The ECU update has probably changed some minor parameter and that routine doesn't understand the change (like I said, poor programming).

TL;DR: The ECU update has been unanticipated by the writers of the MyGenius application and they need to fix it.
Well don't forget, we're dealing with Italian electronics :|

In short, the problem was the MyGenius status skipped ahead. When the update was performed, the status needs to be reconciled with the DS server so that it updates across all of our lists of remote devices. In this case, the unit detected that he had written back the stock ORI file, and removed itself from necessary reset status and simply generated a code on the handheld that I can run to get an unlock code, customer enters that in, and you're done.

But the code was generated on the device, and then screen exited (which resets the code to a new one), and then reset through the client application separately. It threw an error when connecting to the server because it could not find the generated code status. Hope that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts