Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks....just to explain...joined about 10 days ago then posted Brexit Mods thread about my updates/improvements/mods since purchase in March last with loads of discussions following, then one member Retiree I think suggested lighting update and so............I researched halogen/HID/LED and decided that as I only use my Spider by day, summers evenings as a fun car halogen upgrades were sufficient as "everyone" said OEM lights are crap!
I looked online, here on 124Spider.org threads then ebay and found some confusion about which bulbs and so I selected a supplier asked him and he went away returning with H11 & H4 then contacted me again saying H11 low beam & H15 High beam/DLR and sent me two of each...........

I have read that you can only access through wheel arch liner, jacking up and removing wheel or turning front wheels fully so.....I decided on latter, starting engine and moving turning fully to gain access. Some say remove from liner center pin others say no need just remove some poppers so I found removing three poppers only is all that is required, leave front bottom two and remove next three and pull out top center piece then you can pull back plastic upper liner and gain entry; Changing LOW beam H11 simple..press in tab pull and harness slips off, then its just a push, twist and withdraw bulb, replace..CHECK new bulb works, done, however......
Access to High beam H15 bulb I found NOT so simple, tab and harness again easy, but.....I cannot figure out how to remove black plastic OBLONG shaped rear, using torch and mirror I see NO Tab and inspecting it (after pulling and twisting carefully) decided that rather than break it off !!! I know a some lads/lasses who may just know how and if its simple then I like eating pie, photos below...wheel arch entry, wheel turned, Low connector nearest/high connector furthest, OEM Low bulbs, H11's...... Cheers
ron

IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0375.JPG

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was thinking about updating my lights as well, since they are way too dimm. But It looks like you have light flooding above normal height. Is there way to rotate light bulb to keep light beam horizontal?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Anty and Thanks for the question.......As you can see from the thread I was finding my way as I couldn't find a definitive thread to guide me so I am hoping that both you and I will get some answers shortly........I can tell you that when I fitted the H11 bulb I just inserted,pushed and turned it so that shell was pointing down refitting harness as that is the position it was in when I commenced the job. The flooding has not concerned me as I did the job in that confined space so expected that, however....when the British weather, stormy at present subsides I will take the Spider out of the garage and look at alignment in the dark. I expect that the H11 inserted from a different starting position may well line up the light differently and as it is a two minute each side job to reach and do the Low beam plug I see no problems having a play with it..... I just hope someone knows how to get that inner High beam H15 bulb fitting out !
I am sure someone will say it's simple and so am I as I should have just done this or that...............I await....
Anty, by all means though order yourself some H11's as everybody was right about the originals...Cheers
ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the morimoto h11's in the low and log light positions, they are rotatable in the socket once seated to modify the beam pattern slightly, if you watch closely you can see the edges of the bulb, I pointed mine straight forward. Haven't tried yet for the high beam/DRL position, but i live in Atlanta and the retrofit source's office is local here. I plan to visit their office one of these days to test fit their 2 strokes in that spot, but haven't gotten around to that just yet.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Why don't you just remove the whole front wheel arch liner? If you can drive the car up on ramps at the front, it's quite straightforward, and you should be able to access the rear of the high beam bulb easily.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why don't you just remove the whole front wheel arch liner? If you can drive the car up on ramps at the front, it's quite straightforward, and you should be able to access the rear of the high beam bulb easily.
Hi and thanks for that....I can access easy enough, just don't know how the fitting is removed....if you look at photo it is the one furthest away (grey harness) and is a black plastic oblong unit, fitting in or as part of the headlight unit. If I try too hard to pull it out I will possibly break the headlight unit, I cant twist it as its an oblong so there must be a tab, release or something to free it, so far I have not discovered what. The High beams are working well so no panic I just would like to know how you get that bulb unit out. If nobody comes up with the answer then I may well jack, remove wheel and liner and get in there, however, you have to be able to change the bulb and many members have recorded swapping out for LED's it's just that nobody as far as I can see has described how to do that one, though the Low beam replacement H11 is well covered, push,twist and pull. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about updating my lights as well, since they are way too dimm. But It looks like you have light flooding above normal height. Is there way to rotate light bulb to keep light beam horizontal?
Having read the replies from yourself and Chimera I looked again at the photos not having studied them before then realised that I must have taken the second photo on high beam so....just been out to garage and repeated second photo........sorry all....it was on high beam before, and...the bulbs removed were not originals but H11's ! so actually the test is null and void, but still.....we now know about rotating bulb units thanks to Chimera, now all we need is the answer to how to remove that H15 unit ?
IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0378.JPG
I have the morimoto h11's in the low and log light positions, they are rotatable in the socket once seated to modify the beam pattern slightly, if you watch closely you can see the edges of the bulb, I pointed mine straight forward. Haven't tried yet for the high beam/DRL position, but i live in Atlanta and the retrofit source's office is local here. I plan to visit their office one of these days to test fit their 2 strokes in that spot, but haven't gotten around to that just yet.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I checked the MOPAR Tech Authority Service Information documentation, and it provides zero useful information on how to change the headlight bulbs specifically. It tells you how to remove the entire housing for the headlights, but not how to change the actual bulb itself... which is peculiar in that it does tell you how to change other bulbs on the car. Hopefully another forum member can provide personal insight on how to accomplish the task.

One interesting tidbit from the owners manual in the section that talks about changing bulbs. It lists the lowbeam as a 55W H11, but the high beam/DRL bulb is shown as a 60W HB3.

These are the instructions from the owners manual, and my apology if you've already read this material. It's a bit confusing in that it notes "if equipped with LED lamps", but then it provides no different instructions for Hallogen lamps. Given you've looked at them more closely you can determine if the following makes sense or not.

Headlights (High Beam) With
Daytime Running Lights
(If Equipped With LED Lamps)
Proceed as follows:
1. If you are changing the right bulb,
start the engine, turn the steering wheel
all the way to the right, and turn off
engine. If you are changing the left bulb,
turn the steering wheel to the left.
2. Make sure the ignition is placed in
the OFF mode, and the headlight
switch is off.
3. Remove the fasteners in the seven
locations and partially peel back the
mud guard.
4. Turn the socket and bulb assembly
counterclockwise and remove it.
5. Turn the cover counterclockwise and
remove it, disconnect the connector
from the unit by pressing the tab on the
connector with your finger and pulling
the connector.
6. Turn the socket and bulb assembly
7. Disconnect the bulb from the socket.
8. Install the new bulb in the reverse
order of the removal procedure.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The handbook provides this information on page 182...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the MOPAR Tech Authority Service Information documentation, and it provides zero useful information on how to change the headlight bulbs specifically. It tells you how to remove the entire housing for the headlights, but not how to change the actual bulb itself... which is peculiar in that it does tell you how to change other bulbs on the car. Hopefully another forum member can provide personal insight on how to accomplish the task.
Hi and Thank you for trying......It is frustrating ! Cheers
ron

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi and Thank you for trying......It is frustrating ! Cheers
ron
The penny has just dropped.............I jacked up the spider, removed the wheel, unpopped the Top part liner and folded it back and set to work taking photos to show you the oblong box that the harness (grey) is plugged into (photos below), still couldn't see a way to remove so decided to telephone my local FIAT dealership service department....DID NOT WANT TO KNOW...." All lights are tricky customers usually book the vehicle in" I asked to speak with a technician, "none available" so I requested a call back..."We are very busy" ! Nobody telephoned as yet sadly. Anyway, I decided to bolt it all up and report back to my fellow members... seeing the diagrams from CDPond & Azzura I looked at my photographs and it dawned on me.......Where the grey harness connects is NOT where the bulb lives which is why I could not find a removal tab...it is further across and down a bit and is round...but does not look to line up with High beam bulb which seen from front of Spider is in a different position the H15 bulb holder is at an angle.
Thanks to all though for your assistance and maybe this thread will stop anyone being misled by the grey harness in a small space.
I think you could still get away with starting engine, turning wheels and removing the few poppers as above as it is still accessible just black in colour ,a little further on and down so not seen immediately, Last photo below it's lower left........Cheers
ron

IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0382.JPG IMG_0386.JPG IMG_0384.JPG

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The handbook provides this information on page 182... View attachment 73696
Thanks for the diagrams....I have explained above that I got nowhere until seeing yours and those from CDPond which show the grey harness and plug above the black round unit that has to be withdrawn to reveal the bulb, I had looked in my handbook earlier but saw nothing....page 182 is headed Performance saying Turbo below it and not much else....But anyway, "We all now know where and what it all looks like, that it is accessible and a simple job, certainly NOT for your garage to charge a fortune to do. Interesting that they took my money last March with lots of smiles but the first request for help...no interest, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

One interesting tidbit from the owners manual in the section that talks about changing bulbs. It lists the lowbeam as a 55W H11, but the high beam/DRL bulb is shown as a 60W HB3.

These are the instructions from the owners manual, and my apology if you've already read this material. It's a bit confusing in that it notes "if equipped with LED lamps", but then it provides no different instructions for Hallogen lamps. Given you've looked at them more closely you can determine if the following makes sense or not.

Headlights (High Beam) With
Daytime Running Lights
(If Equipped With LED Lamps)
Proceed as follows:
1. If you are changing the right bulb,
start the engine, turn the steering wheel
all the way to the right, and turn off
engine. If you are changing the left bulb,
turn the steering wheel to the left.
2. Make sure the ignition is placed in
the OFF mode, and the headlight
switch is off.
3. Remove the fasteners in the seven
locations and partially peel back the
mud guard.
4. Turn the socket and bulb assembly
5. Turn the cover counterclockwise and
remove it, disconnect the connector
from the unit by pressing the tab on the
connector with your finger and pulling
the connector.
6. Turn the socket and bulb assembly
7. Disconnect the bulb from the socket.
8. Install the new bulb in the reverse
order of the removal procedure.
View attachment 73697
Hi again and Thank you...if you read my last thread it will explain what I did this morning getting nowhere until I logged on here and saw your and Azzura's Diagrams then the penny dropped..........I was expecting to find the bulb assembly following pulling off the grey harness and seeing your diagram which is not in my handbook? I realised that the bulb is accessed below and to the left ....Thank you for your help, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm always happy to assist if and when I can. A quick recommendation... download the .pdf version of the owners manual for your car. The value behind that is that you can then do word searches in the document, and just keep hopping forward one match at a time till you find what you're after. If you plan on retaining your car for the long term, and given that the Spider is coming to a production end, I'd also recommend buying the maintenance and electrical manuals from MOPAR Tech Authority. It will run you a few hundred bucks, buy they're USB versions, and if you ever need to do service work or have work performed years from now, you'll have most of the information at hand that's requried. Glad to hear you were able to locate the fitting. Best regards from the colonies. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm always happy to assist if and when I can. A quick recommendation... download the .pdf version of the owners manual for your car. The value behind that is that you can then do word searches in the document, and just keep hopping forward one match at a time till you find what you're after. If you plan on retaining your car for the long term, and given that the Spider is coming to a production end, I'd also recommend buying the maintenance and electrical manuals from MOPAR Tech Authority. It will run you a few hundred bucks, buy they're USB versions, and if you ever need to do service work or have work performed years from now, you'll have most of the information at hand that's requried. Glad to hear you were able to locate the fitting. Best regards from the colonies. :)
Hi and Thank You for the recommendation, just downloaded to my documents and will put a copy on an sd card I think, as for the manufacturers downloads I have registered with Mopar site but could only see servicing booking and expensive accessories there so may well type in Mopar Technical Authority and see what's what, Cheers 😁

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, my (printed) handbook is the same, I was referring to the PDF version, which is rather more comprehensive. Sign up to https://owners.mopar.eu/fiat/fiat-uk/en/login and download from there
Hi again, yep, got the message, signed on to Mopar but found nothing there so just typed into Google Fiat 124 spider owners manual download...and up it popped and is far better than that basic thing that came with the spider, Cheers 😉

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi and Thank You for the recommendation, just downloaded to my documents and will put a copy on an sd card I think, as for the manufacturers downloads I have registered with Mopar site but could only see servicing booking and expensive accessories there so may well type in Mopar Technical Authority and see what's what, Cheers 😁
Just been online to register with Mopar tech Auth......completed registration okay, selected to cart the service manual great, the....checkout.....$134.95 for manual PLUS $ 98.03 p+p International for a CD !?! or...$108.95 UPS and if you want World Wide postage $238 approx........Think I'll wait until they start popping up on ebay..Sat Nav SD cards £27.99 here. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Just been online to register with Mopar tech Auth......completed registration okay, selected to cart the service manual great, the....checkout.....$134.95 for manual PLUS $ 98.03 p+p International for a CD !?! or...$108.95 UPS and if you want World Wide postage $238 approx........Think I'll wait until they start popping up on ebay..Sat Nav SD cards £27.99 here. Cheers
ron
You CAN get one of them on CD, but I highly recommend getting the USB version instead. They're the type that look like a credit card that the centre flips out of to expose the USB connection to your computer. Yes, the shipping is brutal, especially given that it's a very small item, AND... if they chose to put it in an envelope instead of a bloody cardboard box that could be used to ship a pound of coffee, they could send it by post for a wee fraction of the cost. That said, I've spent a heck of a lot more for considerably less (ask about the $150 oil dipstick lol), so I'm glad to have them on hand for reference. The file content on the USB's isn't huge, and its designed to be opened with IE, so I'm going to try to copy the content on my phone do have for ease of reference... as I already have a copy of my owners manual on there.

As an amusing aside, while on MOPAR Tech Authority, I briefly looked at their online reference library license. That's over a grand.... per year.... lol But I also think it covers access to every vehicle product their cover. Good for dealerships, but not so much for mere mortals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts