Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My 2019 Abarth was bought new in October 2019, it's under 1500 miles, and it's always garaged. However, I popped the hood yesterday and noticed that one part of my engine is completely rusted - as if it's an old part that was hastily used to replace maybe a factory-installed part that failed?

I haven't brought it in for service yet - it's not up for an oil change or anything - so this is exactly how I got it from the dealership. So now I'm wondering if the dealer was being shady. Can anyone tell me what part this is? And is this something I should have them replace? From the looks of it, it's so rusted that there's already a hole in it.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,464 Posts
That is your Turbo block that holds the turbine and impeller and has the oil going in the top, out bottom and coolant going side to side. Its iron so it may rust under the extreme heat it is exposed to like an exhaust header would if not coated with high temp paint or ceramics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that a photo of your turbo block, alltimes? I'm assuming you've been driving it awhile and it's still in decent condition. Mine looks like it was beaten to hell on another car and then just installed into my brand-new engine.

·
Registered
553 Posts
This is the 1446+ stuffed turbo from Eurocompulsion. Taken today after about 1-2 months of operation since i installed it. Not a daily driver, but parked outside, and hit hard when i run. Offering the picture to you as a comparator for a nearly new condition. The turbos are a rebuild from a stock turbo by i think G Pop, so start from the original casting for that housing

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Like @Calehedron said, that part of the turbo is made of iron and isn't coated so it will rust. I would not sweat that. I just pulled my turbo blanket back and it looks like yours. I would only be concerned about that hole if it's going all the way through. Can you take a better pic of it so we can see how bad it is?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply and pic Chainring - I'll take a closer photo soon and post it. Good to hear it's not just me. Perhaps it got rusty sitting on the lot for the year the poor thing was unpurchased.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,464 Posts
The 1446+ iron blocks are ceramic paint coated as is the main housing but you can see that the extreme heat turns it pinkish and powdery real quick. The aluminum compressor housing up front looks good when its fresh for sure and even better powder coated.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
4239B9EF-BB21-4D2D-B614-B52F617143C6.jpeg
66048D6A-BB93-4B0C-BA36-12EFE1B7A7C9.jpeg

EC stuffed turbo before installation. The black paint on the hot side from the manufacturer will eventually burn off. The red powder coat on the cold side will not.
For comparison is my OEM turbo removed after approximately 7k miles. It does not exhibit the rust and pitting that yours shows. I’m in SoCal and try not to drive in the rain, so my motor stays pretty dry. It’s my fun car and not daily driven.
The rust wouldn’t concern me, but I would keep an eye on the big pit. It’s not part of the casting.

Dan

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't think you have a hole. Those are cinders of the black plastic film that has melted in pieces around the turbine. What is it?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
View attachment 75420 View attachment 75425

EC stuffed turbo before installation. The black paint on the hot side from the manufacturer will eventually burn off. The red powder coat on the cold side will not.
For comparison is my OEM turbo removed after approximately 7k miles. It does not exhibit the rust and pitting that yours shows. I’m in SoCal and try not to drive in the rain, so my motor stays pretty dry. It’s my fun car and not daily driven.
The rust wouldn’t concern me, but I would keep an eye on the big pit. It’s not part of the casting.

Dan
Very nice! Did Phillip do that? How many months did it take him? ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yours looks a lot better than the other guy's housing. His really looks rusted while yours just appears to have a discoloring equal to all parts. And he looks like he is developing a hole. I am going to go check mine today.

Like @Calehedron said, that part of the turbo is made of iron and isn't coated so it will rust. I would not sweat that. I just pulled my turbo blanket back and it looks like yours. I would only be concerned about that hole if it's going all the way through. Can you take a better pic of it so we can see how bad it is?

View attachment 75418

1 - 15 of 15 Posts