Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Newbie here. I am going to be ordering my 124 Abarth in January- Red! I am wondering whether to get the Heritage Stripe? I go back and forth. For those of you that have it- do you still like/ love it? How long have you had yours?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I like it. Still procrastinating with my paint shop to have it done. It will definitely set off your red car. Go for it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi Everyone!

Newbie here. I am going to be ordering my 124 Abarth in January- Red! I am wondering whether to get the Heritage Stripe? I go back and forth. For those of you that have it- do you still like/ love it? How long have you had yours?
I like a lot it but it is a matter of taste... You could have it wrap by a pro shop. Much cheaper than a paint job and you could remove it later if you don't like it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If I was planning to keep the car a long time, I'd pop for the factory stripe and get PPF. An aftermarket wrap is cheaper, protects the paint underneath, and affords options if you get bored. On the other hand, a wrap will likely need to be redone after 6 years or so to maintain the look, and that starts to erode the cost benefit for long term owners. Just one man's opinion and YMMV.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I like a lot it but it is a matter of taste... You could have it wrap by a pro shop. Much cheaper than a paint job and you could remove it later if you don't like it.
Agree. I've had my $650 wrap for a year and it still looks like new. I'll probably never remove it. I keep my car garaged so it might last for years. The canvas top will probably wear out first.

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Yep, I’d wrap rather than paint. But I reckon I looks great.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I really wanted the Heritage Stripe, but it was not available when I ordered the car, and honestly, I was a little PO'ed about that.

However, now that I have the car, I am actually glad that I don't have it. As I understand it, a matte finish is hard to maintain and you have to be careful washing it because you can ruin the finish. I live on a dirt road in a wooded area at the base of a mountain. My driveway is up against a forest and I have a lot of big trees along the driveway. I get a lot of bug poo and a brown "tea" that drops off the leaves when there is a lot of dew or it rains, and it stands out on the pearl white paint. I have a hard enough time keeping the car clean without having to worry about a matte finish too! Dust from the dirt road is also a problem, and makes it hard to put a cover on it without damaging the paint.

I like the look of the Heritage Stripe, but I like the look of the car without it as well. I would say that you should consider where you live and how you will be parking the car. If you can garage the car or park it outside in a clear dust free area, I would say get it, but if you have a lot of trees, bugs, birds, etc, I would skip it

·
Registered
381 Posts
I really like the look of mine, and at the time I bought it I liked the exclusivity of it. I drive mine about 120 miles a day during the week on country roads so it has been pretty hard to keep clean and the matte finish has definitely suffered from frequent washing. If I would've known I would find myself with this commute when I bought the car I might've opted to get a wrap instead, purely to protect the paint.

But at the end of the day I plan on keeping the car for a very long time so I'm not super concerned with how it may effect re-sale value. And even with the finish smoothing out a bit I still think it looks great. Part of my negotiation with the salesman to let me buy it over the other potential buyers offering to pay more when it arrived, but use it as a weekend/good weather car, was that I would "drive the piss out of it." At 16,000 miles rain or shine in 8 months I'd say I'm doing just that and loving every minute of it!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think the paint holds up better than the wrap, but there is certainly an extra step of care with the matte.

And as noted, with the wrap, you can just peel it off yourself. The XM antenna I had wrapped, just wasn't holding up (compound curves) so peeled it off, cleaned it down and spray painted it matte red (the peel-off paint kind).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got the heritage stripe on my Rosso red, and I really like it. The black red combo looks great. There is extra care needed for the matte stripe that I was unaware of, but it is a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

Certainly wrapping it is the much less expensive solution. But I really do like my heritage stripe. I'm not planning on selling this car.....so I was willing to spend the extra money on it, because it was what I wanted!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the aluminum with the heritage stripe and really love the color combination as they blend a little bit. I was surprised at how difficult matte paint is to care for though - it's kind of a PIA. I eventually had it covered with a high end, non glare PPF and now can finally drive the car without worrying about the paint.

So it's an expensive proposition - if you plan to drive it daily/regularly, I highly recommend budgeting for a really good PPF (3M "stealth - which is no glare/reflective) in addition to the stripe.

That said, the guys that applied the film (they do mostly exotics) were amazed at this car. Same is true at the high end stereo place that did my car.

So the it's a quality paint job and it looks great. But it takes some extra care and/or investment.

I would only get the strip if you are willing to either spring for the high end PPF, or you only plan to drive it in nice weather.

·
830 Posts
Personally, I love the strip and how it looks on the Spider. Auto Ricambi has done a satin vinyl strip on two of our Spiders, a black Lusso and an aluminum Abarth. We went a step farther and did a custom touch of a thin red pinstripe along the edge.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have the aluminum with the heritage stripe and really love the color combination as they blend a little bit. I was surprised at how difficult matte paint is to care for though - it's kind of a PIA. I eventually had it covered with a high end, non glare PPF and now can finally drive the car without worrying about the paint.

So it's an expensive proposition - if you plan to drive it daily/regularly, I highly recommend budgeting for a really good PPF (3M "stealth - which is no glare/reflective) in addition to the stripe.

That said, the guys that applied the film (they do mostly exotics) were amazed at this car. Same is true at the high end stereo place that did my car.

So the it's a quality paint job and it looks great. But it takes some extra care and/or investment.

I would only get the strip if you are willing to either spring for the high end PPF, or you only plan to drive it in nice weather.

Once you have the PPF applied to the matte paint, what is the difference in how you care for it? Just wash, etc, like the rest of the vehicle or some it require a different approach?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nah, It's not for me, looks like primer. I like my cars and motorcycle to be shiny, bright, and fully painted with the purdy glossy stuff. Bottom line is ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
We were going to do it but we’ve finally decided not to. Every white Abarth 124 we’ve seen in Melbourne has the heritage treatment. So now we’re thinking it’s a nice point of difference not to have it.

Reactions: Phillip33

·
Registered
726 Posts
Do it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like it with the stripe, but I personally am a fan of a cleaner, uncluttered look. Can’t go wrong either way.
I’m in this same Camp.
When I first saw the Stripe on a Red Abarth I was “Wowed” but when it came down to actually owning the car I reeled myself in.
I wanted less flash and a classy clean look
(white/Saddle Lusso)
I did the whole flashy Mod car thing with a 2010 Hemi Orange Challenger R/T
Tuned/Cold Air/Full Exhaust/headers/catch can/blinged up engine,vinyl heritage stripes, etc etc Car clubs and shows.
It’s out of my system.
I just want a fun little car to drive without all the headaches a modded Car brings and a little less attention is a good thing too
People can be really catty and mean in that Cars and Coffee world especially the women LOL

Reactions: Carpediem
1 - 20 of 63 Posts