Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Sydney, Australia

The forum name is joseph124 – and yes, in real life it is Joseph however I do not have a 124, but it is under consideration.

I am an Italian car tragic !!!! I just think that there is this fundamental immeasurable quality about Italian Cars that is addictive and applies from the most humble Panda right up to the most exclusive Ferrari. My first car was a Fiat 850 Sport (with high compression Abarth pistons BTW), followed by a Fiat 128 3P, followed by another Fiat 128 3P, followed by an Alfa 33, followed by a Citroen Xantia (hey, there was a time that no new Italian cars were available in Australia, at least the Xantia was designed by Bertone) followed by 13 years in an Alfa 156 Selepeed. And now I drive an Alfa Giulietta QV and my “Baby” – an Abarth 5oo that I have had since 2011.

Which leads me to my current car deliberations. I cannot see myself selling the A5oo ever. However, our Alfa Giulietta QV I have found hard to bond with – although I quite like the car, I consider it more of a family wagon rather an object of desire. And to be honest, with the kids all grown up we hardly need the family car. So I am thinking about acquiring another fun hobby car and replacing the Alfa with a cheap little runaround for the few family duties – shopping, teaching the kids to drive, etc.

I did initially consider the 124 (we only get the Abarth version here in Australia) but TBH I was I bit underwhelmed when I took one for a test drive. I was not totally convinced with the appearance but the biggest disappointment basically boiled down to ……. essentially after reading many reviews (both the Mazda and the Fiat) full of gushing superlatives I was expected to be blown away by the “sublime” performance and handling, but I just did not feel it. Frankly, my A5oo felt more fun to drive. So at that time the 124 was sadly off my list and I started looking at something a little more “exotic”, something with too many cylinders and 400 odd of Italy’s finest ponies. And………after much deliberations that car did not feel like me.

So here I am – relooking at the 124. I will organise another test drive, but will hang out until a Monza exhaust is available before I decide finally

Cheers

PS: HiYa Rob !!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Welcome! :)

There are only a handful of Australian's on this forum, so check out the dedicated Abarth 124 Spider - Australia Facebook page for more locally relevant content. You'll also have the chance to chat with other Aussie owners there who aren't part of this forum, one of whom has even devised his own exhaust solution; his video is worth a watch!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Haha. Hi Joseph and welcome! :)

Yep...a Giulia Quad would be nice...but you could buy 3 124s :)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Seriously....stock it's more than fast enough.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**** no.........

I loathe automatics

I dislike SUV's, especially alleged "performance" SUV's

So an auto Alfa SUV......... an abomination !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
**** no.........

I loathe automatics

I dislike SUV's, especially alleged "performance" SUV's

So an auto Alfa SUV......... an abomination !!!!
I'm with you!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All,

Just dawned on me that I have not visited this site for over 12 months. I still have the A124 and it is still one of my keepers. Unfortunately my toys (the A5oo and A124) have had to take second fiddle at during this time. Other life "stuff" has gotten in the way - like rebuilding whats left of my career after a sudden and unexpected redundancy in late 2018. That and the usual, family, kids, work...

Whatever play time I did have for my cars went with modifying my A5oo. That still has a little bit to go, but cannot say that I am 100% happy with the result. Sure she goes way faster, but cannot say she drive better ...... hard to pin down why. As my A124 is coming out of warranty soon I was thinking a few mods that I had shunned previously.....now I an re-assessing that a little

Here are some more recent photos

Hope you all are safe and well in these very uncertain times

1 - 11 of 11 Posts