Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ex NC (first version - miss that car) - current JCW Roadster owner. Looking forward to owning a 124 sometime in the next year or so.

Everyone had good experiences with the Fiat so far?

Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Haven't driven one yet - was keeping an eye out last summer/fall and everything that was showing up at dealers were automatics. Hopefully will find some time in the next few weeks. Assuming it's going to be relatively close to the NC - especially since it's the same transmission in it.

Also considering waiting a year to get one extended road trip out of the mini - the trunk is cavernous compared to the miata/124's.

Here also keeping an eye on whomever is the first to try to squeeze a monza exhaust on a Lusso...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Everyone had good experiences with the Fiat so far?

Brad
While I would say, the overwhelming majority have had good experiences and everyone loves the car, a few people have had some bad or just plain annoying experiences. You would need to search the forum to find a complete rundown, but there has been at least one engine replacement, some paint issues and a few thermostat related issues. Some of us have installed catch cans to reduce the amount of evaporative emissions gasses/oils going into the turbo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up - been doing some reading over the past few days on the forum - haven't come across the engine replacement yet, but hit on the paint and thermostat issues. Paint on my miata wasn't horrible - but really subject to chips around the front. Finally just decided that I couldn't see them from the driver seat, so I was best to let them go...

Thanks for the response - plan on lurking and learning until I pull the trigger on my own 124.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome mate! First week if ownership for me, and it's been really good!

Test drive it! Very different from the NC and ND in my opinion, but I've never owned the MX-5, just test drove the MX-5 RF for half a day (dealers were really nice), and I had a good day's drive on my mate's stock NC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So - was gonna at least jump on a test drive - unfortunately no Abarth's with a manual box within 150 miles of me...****. The wait is on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Neighbor,

Where are you located?

I'm just N. of Boston, Made the jump in February and love my Abarth!

I too couldn't find a stick locally so I sat in an Auto, made sure nothing disagreed with me ergonomically and started looking for one to buy long distance.

J

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might try calling around to find a dealer who will find what you want and have it shipped. That's what my dealer did. I'm in NJ, and during my visit to the dealership, the sales staff found what I wanted in San Diego, and had it shipped once I signed the Purchase Agreement and put down a $2000 deposit. I picked up the car a week ago last Monday. Beats ordering (12-15 wks), or settling for something else. I wanted an Argento Lusso manual with black interior and the Safety and Comfort package, and that's what I'm driving. Couldn't be happier with the deal and the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
And... you could test drive an Abarth in an automatic, and another trim in a manual. That's what I did before settling on my choice. The Abarth automatic was a lot of fun, but I thought the sport suspension was too stiff for a daily driver, which my 124 will be. I also test drove a Lusso manual. I don't think there'd be enough of a difference between one trim line and another, at least as far as getting the feel of the manual. If you are ok with that approach, put the test drives together in your head to get an Abarth manual, and save yourself a 150 mile trip ?.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Neighbor,

Where are you located?

I'm just N. of Boston, Made the jump in February and love my Abarth!

I too couldn't find a stick locally so I sat in an Auto, made sure nothing disagreed with me ergonomically and started looking for one to buy long distance.

J
In Newburyport - moved up here after being priced out of Cambridge about 10 years ago. Where are you?

All good ideas on the test drive - here's where I'm at - actually prefer the front end of the Lusso without the extra plastic bits on the Abarth - but thinking that the suspension tuning, bilsteins and exhaust may sway me. But would really like to try both.

And...got rid of the run flats on my mini roadster on Friday - definitely came alive a bit without them.

May wait and watch here - and keep an eye on inventories - and plan to make the jump to the 124 in 2018. Hopefully Fiat adjust the inventory a little heavier on the manual side by then.

In the meantime - if anyone knows anyone looking for a JCW Roadster - send em' my way.

Thanks all - been very helpful!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And... you could test drive an Abarth in an automatic, and another trim in a manual. That's what I did before settling on my choice. The Abarth automatic was a lot of fun, but I thought the sport suspension was too stiff for a daily driver, which my 124 will be. I also test drove a Lusso manual. I don't think there'd be enough of a difference between one trim line and another, at least as far as getting the feel of the manual. If you are ok with that approach, put the test drives together in your head to get an Abarth manual, and save yourself a 150 mile trip ?.
Realize these questions will be moot when I test drive - but, out of curiosity - what were you driving before this/comparing it too when you nixed the abarth suspension?

Aside from the abundance cheap plastic in the Miata - the only other thing that really bugged me was the body roll - had planned stiffer sways -sadly never got around to it. Was hoping the abarth suspension would be an improvement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My drive before 124? Minivan. My opinion about Abarth suspension didn't change w a second test drive, but experience varies by personal preference and local conditions. I drive local roads in S Jersey. Some are great, others are full of potholes and tar strips. If I lived in a state w better roads, I might feel differently about the Abarth. Also not a fan of black trim add ons to front and sides of Abarth. Performance-wise, I get plenty of thrills from my Lusso, and I like the overall looks better. Body roll is more than I thought it'd be. Might add struts to reduce that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts