Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Newish owner here of a bright red Lusso. I got it a month ago, it was the local dealer's demo car with just 400 miles on the clock since last September. It wasn't advertised as for sale but I reckoned I should make them an offer - some vigorous haggling and threatening to walk off to the Mazda dealer across the road got me a good deal. I have done another 700 miles since then, even though the weather here hasn't been too kind for open top motoring.

A nice car to push round the twisties, not so great around town (I'm struggling a bit with poor pickup when pulling away from roundabouts in 2nd gear - is that just me?).

I'm not sure how popular they are here, I have not yet seen another one in the wild and the low demo mileage suggests that there are not too many people interested in them, at least in this neck of the woods. On the plus side that means it gets a fair bit of attention :laugh:

Roll on Spring!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Welcome faded! I had a bright red Anniversary until a week ago, you can read about my woes on another thread, I hope your forum name won't reflect the condition of your paintwork in a year's time...

I returned mine with a mere 710 miles on the clock, but agree that it's a good car on twisty roads, less good in town. In most cars you can pull away in 2nd if you're still moving slowly, but not in the 124. although the GFB DV+ conversion seems to help, worth a try.

I've only ever seen one other on the road (whilst I was driving mine) they are certainly a rare sight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definitely agree with the second gear thing. You definitely have to keep the revs up to move on in second gear and I often have to drop into first gear when in most cars I've driven I'd be absolutely fine in second. This can be somewhat frustrating at times and took some getting used to.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Welcome. Pretty car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I have never heard of the "GFB DV+ conversion", I'll look into it, thanks.

I need to find a way to get around the problem because it is embarrassing when on exiting roundabouts I get overtaken by old ladies in Nissan Micras! Downshifting doesn't really help either because first gear is hard to find when the car is moving, I end up double clutching which takes more time than just staying in second and flooring it!
I now tend to slip the clutch to keep up the revs, which helps but won't be too healthy in the long run.

Maybe I should just get used to it. When it really bugs me I can always switch to my Harley which has half the torque but only weighs around a quarter of the Fiat! That'll show them >:)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
It's funny but 1st gear seems a bit useless on the 124 (as it was on the MiTo QV we had that proceeded it). I always thought it was torque limited in 1st in the MiTo, but found the Abarth to be the same. The conclusion I came to was that the engine revs out in 1st faster than the turbo has a chance to spool up, and so it feels stronger in 2nd. Anyhow, putting your foot down in 2nd and waiting is probably quickest. Unless you install anti-lag and that's going to make you look a bit of a knob around town! LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts