Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a YouTube review (and of course can't find it now) where one of the reviewer's complaints was when he shifted gears (2nd, 4th, 6th), the cup holders were so close, he smashed his elbow into the cup holders.

For those that drive stick, has this ever been an issue for you? I have a 2018 Lusso with a slushbox but drove a 2017 Classica for several hours yesterday in a variety of road conditions. Either the reviewer is really tall with tremendously long arms or he was trying to nitpick.

So if you're over 5'7" (my height) and drive a stick shift 124 Spider, have you ever bumped/bashed/hit your elbow on the cup holders when shifting?

Thanks,

Larry

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
never while shifting..occasionally when moving my arm. But I only keep the passenger cup holder installed.
aloha mike

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
He's a monkey, no doubt

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
5' 10" and never been an issue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I saw a YouTube review (and of course can't find it now) where one of the reviewer's complaints was when he shifted gears (2nd, 4th, 6th), the cup holders were so close, he smashed his elbow into the cup holders.

For those that drive stick, has this ever been an issue for you? I have a 2018 Lusso with a slushbox but drove a 2017 Classica for several hours yesterday in a variety of road conditions. Either the reviewer is really tall with tremendously long arms or he was trying to nitpick.

So if you're over 5'7" (my height) and drive a stick shift 124 Spider, have you ever bumped/bashed/hit your elbow on the cup holders when shifting?

Thanks,

Larry
I'm 5' 10" I drive stick and have no problem with shifting and cup holders. Neither while driving or shifting fast or just cruising. The guy must have a ridiculous wingspan

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just for the record, I have an auto and I used to hit my funnybone on the cup holder all the time until I just ended up sticking them in the cubby behind the seat...

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I'm 6'-2", and my seat is pushed as far back as it can physically go without putting a dent in the trunk. I hit them a couple of times when I first got the vehicle. Not from shifting, but doing things like using the control knobs and buttons for the Infotainment System. Mucking around with those controls pushes your arm much further back than shifting does.

So one of the cup holders went in the cubby behind my seat, and the other is in the socket that intrudes on the passenger leg area. No more problems, other than when my wife is with me we fight over who gets to use the holder for their beverage. lol Yup, as others have noted, I have no idea why this fellow would be having such a problem with it during shifting.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have no problem with it, but I do move it on the passenger side, it's easy for me to grab the water bottle then when it's behind me. After all being the driver I need all the attention and focus on the road, If passenger complains they have 2 choices, either live with it or take the BMW(Bus, Metro(subway) and Walk) ? ?:love::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
219 Posts
6 foot 1 and I never hit the cup holders when shifting. The transmission is so crisp and sure that I shift with just my fingers and wrist. The reviewer must be used to driving a car whose transmission feels like stirring a bucket of nails.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I suspected that those not vertically challenged would say the reviewer was quite incorrect.

Now if I can just find the video so I can comment on it that he's not being very accurate.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
I flick the gear selector from the wrist, so haven’t had this problem. Have you considered installing a cushion on the cubby lid?
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hit them a couple of times when I first got the vehicle. Not from shifting, but doing things like using the control knobs and buttons for the Infotainment System. Mucking around with those controls pushes your arm much further back than shifting does.
5' 11" here - I did this on a test drive when I was first looking at a 124. Was not fussed that I didn't get cupholders when I finally bought my car. I have very occasionally caught my funny bone on the empty socket that the holders plug into, so really don't think they are for me!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I flick the gear selector from the wrist, so haven’t had this problem. Have you considered installing a cushion on the cubby lid?
Best regards
Pete
Uh.... I'm actually not having this problem. My original post said, "I saw a YouTube review (and of course can't find it now) where one of the reviewer's complaints was when he shifted gears (2nd, 4th, 6th), the cup holders were so close, he smashed his elbow into the cup holders."

I was looking to see if anyone experienced this. I normally drive a slushbox, but drove a manual for a few hours recently and this wasn't an issue, but I was looking to see if anyone had.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm close to 5'10" and have never had a problem with the cup holders. The audio controls on the center console are another story. Occasionally, I hit the console control knob for the touch screen with my forearm.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm close to 5'10" and have never had a problem with the cup holders. The audio controls on the center console are another story. Occasionally, I hit the console control knob for the touch screen with my forearm.
I found when I drove that manual 124 and had my hand near the gear shift lever, the sleeve of my winter jacket would hit that knob. Also, sometimes when I shift, my finger would turn on the recirculation.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I suspect the reviewer didn't like the location, and wanted to make it a (potential) issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts