Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was going from 6 to 4, but went in to 2nd instead for about 1s and it was around 7500RPM

disengaged the clutch after 1s..

No CEL no burning smell nothing....

How worried should I be? Engin still running fine. no noise or weird stuff

I am ready to rebuilt the engine and get a bunch of aftermarket performance parts in now...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would not worry too much. You will destroy a clutch before the motor at that RPM. You would know if that happened.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not worry too much. You will destroy a clutch before the motor at that RPM. You would know if that happened.
right now the clutch still feels fine, the engage point is the same, still shifts and goes in to gear properly

should I be worry about the rod and valve train?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I still have an issue with around 3,000 miles my gears wanting to go back into 3rd rather than 5th from 4th. I'm really having to pay attention and move it more to the right. Maybe I'm shifting too early and it's thinking I want to downshift? Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
101 Posts
In reference to the above post,
I didn’t read it anywhere but from experience with other manuals
There is a “right pressure” effort necessary for up shifts to fifth and sixth.
Up shifts from one to four should be effortless.Forth to third should be possible with one finger as well as third to fourth
Third to second obviously requires a little left pressure or you are back in forth.
To the OP
I don’t think you hurt your car
I’ve accidentally over revved many a car,truck and motorcycle for a split second
If these engines can stand the HP increase of the various tuning applications hitting 7500 for a second didn’t do anything

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
With an upgraded cam, these cars can do 7,000 RPM and still make power. I think you're fine at 7500 for a second. If any damage was done, it would be very noticeable. Just be more careful next time.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
They don't seem to suffer damage until north of 8000, but don't take that to mean you are good until 7900. I generally keep it at or below 7000.

Greg

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I can't hear it. Message says "This video is private". How did it sound at the moment you shifted?
Besides, the original post is from three years ago. Any damage would likely have surfaced by now.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I think you will need to change the engine mate, I am not a professional mechanic, but I think that your engine is dead.
Congrats on creating a Zombie thread. lol Post dates are a wonderful thing.

...this is what my friends keep telling me... :)

Reactions: HaZ
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.