Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,451 Posts
Any brands I have seen so far all have good reviews. I have the Flyin' Miata kit on mine and Madness on the 500, took the prop bars out completely. They hold the hood higher than the bar and will hold different angles for breathing/shade at the track. Never go back!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sokie tech for 2016+ Mazda MX5, $55 on eBay plus shipping and tax

Just put them on the other day, very easy install. Hood opens higher like stated above.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yep. Hard to say what is better. These are not that complicated. I went with the Moss Miata kit. I can't even remember why. Guess it was the first one I found at the time?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went with Moss Miata Cobalt too, it was on sale and looked well thought out. You have to hold the hood and let it up slowly so it does not launch :D

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Yep. Hard to say what is better. These are not that complicated. I went with the Moss Miata kit. I can't even remember why. Guess it was the first one I found at the time?

I have the same. I think I went that way also because first I found. No complaints. One of my favorite mods.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

Same here. It was a really easy install, and after three years of use, they stil work well. The part I really like (other than getting rid of the bloody prop rod), is that the hood goes up a good foot higher than it does with the prop rod. So it makes working in the engine bay much easier and safer. The mechanics at my dealership have also expressed their appreciation of it.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went with the Moss Motors kit as well.

How the heck do you get the prop rod off?? I have messed with it a couple times and it has stymied me! Then again, if I leave it on the car I won't lose it if I ever wanted to go back...

-Kevin

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

How the heck do you get the prop rod off?? I have messed with it a couple times and it has stymied me! Then again, if I leave it on the car I won't lose it if I ever wanted to go back...

-Kevin
It should be pretty easy to get it off. I can’t recall having trouble but it’s over 3 years ago, now, and that piece of metal no longer exists. I think you just have to twist it in a certain direction and it will pull out of the bushing? I thought it was just a double 90 bend.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

-Kevin
I describe the process in my article:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I see on Aliexpress they have RED struts now!

aloha mike

·
Registered
485 Posts
@Arthur @boddle88 drop Travis (at) deyeme racing (dot) com an email to check if he's still sending stuff out. I paid close to $50 on top for customs charge and a UPS fee that I hadn't counted on. Easy to fit if you have a ring spanner to reach the hinge bolts, might be worth combining orders to save on charges?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I see on Aliexpress they have RED struts now!

aloha mike
Sorry Mike I could not get red cause my car is red. So black was a better match. lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sokie tech for 2016+ Mazda MX5, $55 on eBay plus shipping and tax

Just put them on the other day, very easy install. Hood opens higher like stated above.

Did this kit also result in you having to hold your hand on the hood to prevent it from raising up really fast or is the rise controlled so the hood/bonnet does not fly up? TIA

·
Registered
36 Posts
Controlled rise for mine. Just the right amount of pressure and good mounting points. It uses the forward hood hinge bolts and the forward fender plate bolts to mount. The lifting point is between half and a third open, haven't had any problems closing the hood either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put a vid on the facebook group demonstrating the sokie tech raising the hood.

Here's a pic of the struts holding the hood halfway up:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts