27 Posts
This is beyond impressive!

Reactions: JohnG123

· Premium Member
2018 Fiat Spider 🕷 Lusso
10 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
I've not liked most of what you have done so far, but out of all the mods you've done these are the best looking, and I emphasise "looking". I do want to ask if they are functional or just for aesthetics? I can't see any way these are forcing air into the engine bay. The point of hood scoops is to get more air into the induction system which requires some directional movement of air through actually scooping and forcing the air back into the engine bay as you drive. If not functional there is no need to cut and slice the original bodywork instead of just gluing them on. They do look nice though.

· Registered
2017 Fiat 124 spider Abarth
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand your concern but they are not scoops. The idea is not to force air in but to draw the hot air to flow out which is being replaced by the flow of air coming in from the front and cooling the engine bay.
Aerodynamically the design is such that the air traveling over the hood provides a low pressure area on top of the vents which causes a vacuum drawing out hot air from the engine bay.
Yes they are functional they are not "glued on", They have threaded studs which attach them to the hood.
I also place a thermometer at the exit of the vents and found that I am getting 100+ F temperature coming out during normal operation.
Thanks for your critique Scottish.

· Registered
2018 Abarth
72 Posts
That looks amazing. I would be too scared to cut into the hood with no 2nd chance to do it right.

I have wondered if extending the heritage stripe to that bit of paint between the two front grills would look good. It looks like it does.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
I understand your concern but they are not scoops. The idea is not to force air in but to draw the hot air to flow out which is being replaced by the flow of air coming in from the front and cooling the engine bay.
Aerodynamically the design is such that the air traveling over the hood provides a low pressure area on top of the vents which causes a vacuum drawing out hot air from the engine bay.
Yes they are functional they are not "glued on", They have threaded studs which attach them to the hood.
I also place a thermometer at the exit of the vents and found that I am getting 100+ F temperature coming out during normal operation.
Thanks for your critique Scottish.
First, nice work. As I mentioned in your Side fender vents "I very much appreciated the thought, the planning and the effort that went into this modification". But I have to say I wouldn't do this to my car. And as I said in that thread, it's your car so what makes you happy.
Second, you mentioned this was done to draw off hot air from the engine bay. Were you having an overheating issue? Was there a specific reason for this mod? I am asking this because most engines have a specific heat range they operate best within. I have no idea, don't know what that temp range might be for the 1.4L Turbo in the 124 Spider but I have to presume the engineers that designed both our car and the engine within kew what that heat range is and decided at some point the situation lent itself to proficient overall operation of the package. I think this can best be shown and attested to by the number of owners/forum members who have not had, not posted about overheating problems/issues. So my thought is, unless you were having specific overheating issues then why? Why does this heat need to vented off? It would seem that if you're pulling heat off/away from the engine through these newly installed vents then the system, by managing the engine coolant thermostat, is only going to compensate and work to maintain the desired/designed operating heat range.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good comments Nordamericano. The overheating issue is somewhat of a concern due to the wiring covers /shrouds I have found them to be coming apart and some areas around the turbo (small shield) is also delaminating due to the excessive heat, no big deal but some what of a concern I also found a picture of the original prototype platform of the 124 spider when it was supposed to have been an Alfa and it had the side vents incorporated in the original design.
As it is now I can tell you that our cars are well designed however...Like you mentioned I like a little diversity from the others. Just my thing.
All that being said, I respect and value your opinion.
Thank You.

· Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
2,237 Posts
First, nice work. As I mentioned in your Side fender vents "I very much appreciated the thought, the planning and the effort that went into this modification". But I have to say I wouldn't do this to my car. And as I said in that thread, it's your car so what makes you happy.
Second, you mentioned this was done to draw off hot air from the engine bay. Were you having an overheating issue? Was there a specific reason for this mod? I am asking this because most engines have a specific heat range they operate best within. I have no idea, don't know what that temp range might be for the 1.4L Turbo in the 124 Spider but I have to presume the engineers that designed both our car and the engine within kew what that heat range is and decided at some point the situation lent itself to proficient overall operation of the package. I think this can best be shown and attested to by the number of owners/forum members who have not had, not posted about overheating problems/issues. So my thought is, unless you were having specific overheating issues then why? Why does this heat need to vented off? It would seem that if you're pulling heat off/away from the engine through these newly installed vents then the system, by managing the engine coolant thermostat, is only going to compensate and work to maintain the desired/designed operating heat range.
There have been numerous issues posted here that were caused by heat. EC, and others have created graphs showing how heat effects your power, and have even sold products to alleviate some of the side effects. To think this car was created with the thought process of perfection is far fetched. Maybe if it was a Ferrari, but let’s be honest this vehicle was made up of a “extra” parts bin and if it fit it shipped mentality. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love this car as a whole. But I in no way think it is fundamentally perfect.

· Registered
2,237 Posts
Not very happy with what is out there in View attachment 96856 View attachment 96857 View attachment 96858 View attachment 96859 View attachment 96860 View attachment 96861 View attachment 96862 View attachment 96863
after market hood vents for our 124's so I decided to make my own using the "LOST FOAM" method of aluminum casting.
You sir are a master craftsman and I applaud your creativity! If only you worked for a Japanese car company, we would have reliable AND beautiful also functional cars.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nordamericano, One thing that was my main concern is not with the engine, engine temps are fine and like you mention the engineers did a fine job in providing a liquid cooling system which maintains normal internal engine operating temperatures by the use of the thermostat water pump and radiator. My concern is the radiant heat generated by the turbo in the engine bay I see many of us using thermo blankets around the turbo, Why? if the engineers did a fine job why are we using them? I guess that is one way to contain the heat however I prefer to get it out of the confines of the engine bay and maybe extend the life of engine components and attachments.

· Registered
2,237 Posts
Nordamericano, One thing that was my main concern is not with the engine, engine temps are fine and like you mention the engineers did a fine job in providing a liquid cooling system which maintains normal internal engine operating temperatures by the use of the thermostat water pump and radiator. My concern is the radiant heat generated by the turbo in the engine bay I see many of us using thermo blankets around the turbo, Why? if the engineers did a fine job why are we using them? I guess that is one way to contain the heat however I prefer to get it out of the confines of the engine bay and maybe extend the life of engine components and attachments.
Turbo blankets also have the added benefit of taking that energy in heat and utilizing it to create more pressure. Heat is usually seen as a negative by product, but in essence it is just energy and it can be directed in a positive way. Your idea as I have already praised is great, but I still recommend a turbo blanket for the reasons stated above.

· Registered
171 Posts
I appreciate your ingenuity and dedication but....for the life of me I don't understand why you haven't bothered to align the carbon fibre patterns for all the bits. Look at your windscreen surrounds. Just looks wrong.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts