· Registered
2017 Fiat 124 spider Abarth
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand your concern but they are not scoops. The idea is not to force air in but to draw the hot air to flow out which is being replaced by the flow of air coming in from the front and cooling the engine bay.
Aerodynamically the design is such that the air traveling over the hood provides a low pressure area on top of the vents which causes a vacuum drawing out hot air from the engine bay.
Yes they are functional they are not "glued on", They have threaded studs which attach them to the hood.
I also place a thermometer at the exit of the vents and found that I am getting 100+ F temperature coming out during normal operation.
Thanks for your critique Scottish.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good comments Nordamericano. The overheating issue is somewhat of a concern due to the wiring covers /shrouds I have found them to be coming apart and some areas around the turbo (small shield) is also delaminating due to the excessive heat, no big deal but some what of a concern I also found a picture of the original prototype platform of the 124 spider when it was supposed to have been an Alfa and it had the side vents incorporated in the original design.
As it is now I can tell you that our cars are well designed however...Like you mentioned I like a little diversity from the others. Just my thing.
All that being said, I respect and value your opinion.
Thank You.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nordamericano, One thing that was my main concern is not with the engine, engine temps are fine and like you mention the engineers did a fine job in providing a liquid cooling system which maintains normal internal engine operating temperatures by the use of the thermostat water pump and radiator. My concern is the radiant heat generated by the turbo in the engine bay I see many of us using thermo blankets around the turbo, Why? if the engineers did a fine job why are we using them? I guess that is one way to contain the heat however I prefer to get it out of the confines of the engine bay and maybe extend the life of engine components and attachments.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I guess only time will tell if your effort here, reducing heat stress on related components, will have any positive effect or results. Please make a note to at some future point in time post the results, the outcome as whether or not this modification has been physically beneficial.
Cutting holes in the spider and wrapping everything in sight with carbon looking vinyl?
I can't wait to never do that
O.K.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Pikeman I did consider the NACA duct and I have incorporated them in building my experimental airplane, however, again the idea is not to force air in but to vent air out.
NACA Ducts use the air attached to the plane or car and suck it inwards. The air hits the gentle ramp angle and the curvature profile of the walls and creates counter-rotating vortices.
Thanks for the suggestion.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I just finished taking a second look at and rereading the posts in this thread. As I mentioned at the end of a comment I made in the thread MT fluid change I wish we could all be having this conversation in person. I believe this would be a really great subject to be discussing and talking about and learning about in person, face-to-face. I feel there have been some good points raised, some good questions asked and Oscar has been exceptional and forthright in the answers provided. I don't believe anyone's intent was to demean or downplay the efforts of another. Forgive my babbling, but I sometime get the feeling that since we are not all professional writers our efforts at written communications can sometimes be misinterpreted or misunderstood.
So yeah, I think this an interesting thread, a couple of interesting subjects, both Oscar's work and the effects of heat within the engine bay that would make for really great face-to-face conversation.
It's always good when we get to learn.
I AGREE👍

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I guess only time will tell if your effort here, reducing heat stress on related components, will have any positive effect or results. Please make a note to at some future point in time post the results, the outcome as whether or not this modification has been physically beneficial.
Nordamericano...I found that picture of the prototype 124 Abarth with the huge side fender vents...go figure.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

1 - 19 of 19 Posts