Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can do without the antics but these fellows are proving to be adept marketers. Sara Rocks!

This is all Fiat in the engine compartment. Incredible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I now know how I am going to retire my tires, the old ones will go out in a spin. I figure I could get all my money's worth, donuts in the tire store parking lot just before new rubber?Can't wait till I need a new set!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
For those interested in the car, the semi-info and look at the actual rally car starts at around the 8 minute mark. As noted, the hand held camera is extremely annoying, but you can see the front shock tower reinforcement, which is very interesting.

There's also the skid plates - I think I want one. Just in case of boulders on the road...(I do live on a dirt road, so it might serve a purpose).

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
First time I've watched a youtube video and started to feel seasick, they need to sort out some image stabilization
That was poor, and a lot of the info was wrong, it certainly doesn't have the same engine you find in stock Fiats. That engine isn't in any production Fiats. Still a fun video though.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
Yes, it appears to be a production car, only produced for those Rally capable/ready. The engine is 1.8L with direct fuel injection, quite different than the production 1.4L

https://blog.caranddriver.com/new-abarth-124-spider-rally-is-an-epic-300-hp-throwback-race-car/
Oh, it's a production car alright. It IS an actual 124. However the engine is a worked over Alfa 4C engine, not a Fiat engine. That was my point, in the video the guy talking got that wrong.

Greg

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Oh, it's a production car alright. It IS an actual 124. However the engine is a worked over Alfa 4C engine, not a Fiat engine. That was my point, in the video the guy talking got that wrong.

Greg
Any chance we can swap that in to our cars XD?

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
might as well go for the larger Garrett 1752 and put forged pistons with the new cams

wonder if I can get 300whp..
Good point. We are testing a turbo upgrade right now. It's NOT the Garrett 1752, I think it's a better choice for most people. The 124's engine already has forged pistons and a forged crank. A cam does help, but it's a lot of work to install.

Getting 300whp out of this engine is a tall order, but I think it can be done. However, at a certain point, the cost and effort start to out weigh the benefits.

Greg

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Good point. We are testing a turbo upgrade right now. It's NOT the Garrett 1752, I think it's a better choice for most people. The 124's engine already has forged pistons and a forged crank. A cam does help, but it's a lot of work to install.

Getting 300whp out of this engine is a tall order, but I think it can be done. However, at a certain point, the cost and effort start to out weigh the benefits.

Greg
WAIIT WHAT

I thought we have cast pistons.. We already have forged pistons? Doesn't the 500 abarth have forged piston as well?

How about between 260-280WHP More achievable? I think that might get the car down to low 13s

Kevin

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
WAIIT WHAT

I thought we have cast pistons.. We already have forged pistons? Doesn't the 500 abarth have forged piston as well?

How about between 260-280WHP More achievable? I think that might get the car down to low 13s

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Our engines have forged pistons and a forged crank, just like the 500 Abarth. Some say the rods are forged, but I'm not sure, in any case the rods hold up just fine unless you money shift it. 260-280 should be achievable. I hesitate to put up any numbers at the moment because we are still configuring our dyno and I want to get everything on the new scale, from stock numbers on up.

Greg

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Our engines have forged pistons and a forged crank, just like the 500 Abarth. Some say the rods are forged, but I'm not sure, in any case the rods hold up just fine unless you money shift it. 260-280 should be achievable. I hesitate to put up any numbers at the moment because we are still configuring our dyno and I want to get everything on the new scale, from stock numbers on up.

Greg

No problem, im just really really really really really excited for the phase two and wondering when is that coming out..I WANT THAT..thats like the perfect combo for this car. IMO this is what the stock should come like. What do I need to upgrade interms of drivetrain over 230whp? ? Clutch? I hava new tire combo coming in.

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
No problem, im just really really really really really excited for the phase two and wondering when is that coming out..I WANT THAT..thats like the perfect combo for this car. IMO this is what the stock should come like. What do I need to upgrade interms of drivetrain over 230whp? ? Clutch? I hava new tire combo coming in.
I should have a video up that may reveal something within about 24 hours. It's actually about LSD vs Non LSD, but I'll put a tidbit in there.

Update, I put the video up on youtube on my personal channel, Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles.

Greg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts