Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out the brake light assembly this morning to change the turn signal and brake light to LEDs. The turn signal was easy, but I did not see how to get to the brake lamps. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
2017 FIAT 124 Abarth
18 Posts
From the manual:

Brake lights / Tail lights
Go to your authorized dealer when the replacement of this lights is necessary.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
From the manual:

Brake lights / Tail lights
Go to your authorized dealer when the replacement of this lights is necessary.
Hi...They say that for everything.....simplest job in the world to do.....get under rear of Spider look up at rear of brake light assembly and you will see wires to the units, disconnect, twist left and pull out. reverse order. So if a bulb goes out...take the dead bulb to a supplier, buy a new bulb (a few dollars) and fit. Save a fortune and don't believe everything they tell you,..not just Fiat, they all want you paying xxx per hour for every little job, Cheers
ron

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think you are thinking of the low level fog light Ron, as ameridan says, the rear lights (stop/brake and tail/side lightsl are LEDs in all models, even the Classica)

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
...and, if memory serves when I last looked at these, they're also a sealed unit. So if/when the LED fails, you're in for an entire unit replacement, not just a bulb. BTW, there's no way to access this from under the car. You get at it through the trunk. Trust me, I know. :)

Reactions: Tazilon Brenner

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
...and, if memory serves when I last looked at these, they're also a sealed unit. So if/when the LED fails, you're in for an entire unit replacement, not just a bulb. BTW, there's no way to access this from under the car. You get at it through the trunk. Trust me, I know. :)
If my led brake light fails, believe me, I am not going to replace the whole unit. I will drill a hole in there and attach an LED light to do the same work. LOL

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If my led brake light fails, believe me, I am not going to replace the whole unit. I will drill a hole in there and attach an LED light to do the same work. LOL
Don't even bother taking the light out: you can get an LED trailer light for a few bucks: just duct tape it on, run the wires through the trunk lid (or just drill a hole). ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts

This is correct. While you can upgrade the rear turn signals to LEDS, the brake lights are already LEDS and they are sealed, so you can't swap out just the LEDs. And you do go through the trunk liner. Never very hard ot do but those sealed lights....sigh....

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
This is correct. While you can upgrade the rear turn signals to LEDS, the brake lights are already LEDS and they are sealed, so you can't swap out just the LEDs. And you do go through the trunk liner. Never very hard ot do but those sealed lights....sigh....
Seems to be the route most manufacturers are heading now. My 2020 Telluride's lights are all LEDs, and all sealed units. So long gone are the days where you pop out to the local shop and buy a $2 bulb and take a couple of minutes to replace the one that burnt out.

Reactions: gregdacat
1 - 10 of 10 Posts