Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please give a detailed explanation of how the muffler works?
Is it computer controlled?
Vacuum or boost pressure or electrically controlled?
Does it need software turned on at the dealer
Trying to work out if I can make my own in 2.5 inch

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I THINK it has it's own internal logic based on pressure. I don't believe there are any electrical controls.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Best thing to look at it is what Fiat 500 Abarth owners are reporting because I highly doubt that what we have operates any different from their setup. The 124 just isn't that much special to be getting different treatment.

One thing I did find out is they talk a lot about keeping the flaps hinges well lubed so there won't be any issues.

·
Registered
727 Posts
So is there any information about if (or when) the Monza will be available aftermarket in the U.S.?

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
So is there any information about if (or when) the Monza will be available aftermarket in the U.S.?
I have been wondering about that too, and about the cost. I think it's likely that the other aftermarket options will offer a better bang for the buck value, but there is something cool about having the official Record Monza part on your car.

Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies?
I thought they may have got smarter than a simple spring.
$1800 for a spring is a lot of coin.
Yes record Monza would be cool but over time not much on the car will be Abarth. Greg has seen pics of some of my skills in the modification department ?

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
$1800 for a spring is a lot of coin.
Let's be fair, the price is for a well made and tuned Italian exhaust....with a spring. I agree it's a lot, but most things from Italy are. Although I haven't seen the Record Monza exhaust, I'll bet it's very high quality.

Yes record Monza would be cool but over time not much on the car will be Abarth. Greg has seen pics of some of my skills in the modification department ?
I have? PM me to tell me who you are because I don't know you by this forum's user name.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
The MOPAR OEM pricing on the monza exhaust is $995 USD plus installation. Be thankful. With exchange rates and greed, that translates into $1400 CAD in the GWN (great white north). :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
The MOPAR OEM pricing on the monza exhaust is $995 USD plus installation. Be thankful. With exchange rates and greed, that translates into $1400 CAD in the GWN (great white north). :)
Could be worse - apparently we in Australia are being charged in the order of $2000 - $2200 ($1400- $1500 USD)

Yet to be convinced - for that sort of $$$ I would want to fit a full cat back + 200 cell

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
It's already on sale, I've one ordered and on it's way (confirmed).
Did you ever end up getting it? I've had my order confirmed with MOPAR via my dealership service manager, but four months on, I'm still waiting to see it show up. I called FCA (Fiat Chryster Automobiles) Canada, and the story they give me is that since it's listed as an accessory, they can't do anything to expedite. Worst case scenrio, I deal with a UK Abarth dealership that I order OEM parts through that are set up for the European market. Their pricing is similar (once you take the exchange into account), but the shipping cost to get it to N.A. from the UK is horrendous.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just went with the Roadstersport Dual Exhaust from GWR. It makes a nice roar on my Abarth.

Reactions: pikeman

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
the obvious method

I haven't seen it in person yet, but from looking at photos it appears to be a simply flapper held closed by a spring. As exhaust flow and thus pressure rises it forces the flapper open thus bypasses the muffler.

Greg
I'd expect Greg's description is the way it works. It would certainly exclude any electro-mechanical mechanisms.
I've also heard that it's subject to getting bound-up by rust and although Mopar honored the warranty, you're on your own as far as remove/replace.:eek:

best regards
Pete

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Where did you order the Record Monza exhaust from, please?
From MOPAR, via my dealership's service manager. It's in the MOPAR Fiat 2018 124 Spider Accessories catalogue.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I'd expect Greg's description is the way it works. It would certainly exclude any electro-mechanical mechanisms.
I've also heard that it's subject to getting bound-up by rust and although Mopar honored the warranty, you're on your own as far as remove/replace.:eek:
best regards
Pete
Not a huge concern for me, based on location and usage. I had a 2013 500 Abarth for 3 years, and it has the same exhaust system. No issues during those three years. But, my Abarths are never winter driven, and we're across the mountains from any ocean, so salt exposure is non-existent. I fully concur that if you live in a coastal environment, or do winter driving in locations where roads are salted, it could be problematic... to a lot more than just the exhaust system. My install is scheduled for this coming week, so I'm looking forward to getting the attitude back. lol

Reactions: jetlag and pikeman

·
Registered
353 Posts
My new 2019 Abarth came with it on Friday, so I guess I'm doing the long term test in a salt environment as the car will be parked outside year-round in Fort Myers Beach.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts