Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replaced my battery with new one that has a reserve capacity of 100 which I think is about 60 AH. Trying to figure out if I have a short or some other issue. It's fine for 5 or 6 days, but f I let it sit a week it no longer has enough juice to turn over the engine. What are other people seeing?

BTW does anyone know the reserve capacity of the stock battery?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have left mine for several months - 2 to 3. After then it may or may not start. I left it over 3 months last year. It turned over but would not start. Put it on a charger for a couple of hours and it was, and still is, fine. Still have the OEM battery and never topped it off (which I will probably never do).

Reactions: gregaustex

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got my 124 in Sept. 2019 and I live in Canada and store my 124 for six months a year in my unheated garage. Every winter we get several coldsnaps of -40c ( = -40f ) that have lasted for a week or more. This past winter from mid-December to mid-Jan it averaged about -30c. During storage I start the car every 2 weeks and let it warm up and idle and then give the engine a few revs before putting it back to sleep.
No charger used and no problems starting.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
758 Posts
Also depends a bit on battery chemistry. I used to leave my OEM battery sit for a month at a time in the garage in Texas...that battery lasted five years. My replacement is an AGM type. Since those tend to discharge a bit faster than the standard flooded lead-acid ones like our OEM units, I now keep the new one on a battery tender..

Reactions: gregaustex

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try locking the car and see if that helps. I’ve read that unlocked cars do a “keep alive signal” looking for the fob and that locking the car will stop the signal.
Great tip. I really can't think what could be causing a new parasitic drain, but it did used to lock itself when parked in the garage, and now it doesn't for some reason after I changed the battery.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK locked the damn thing...top down in my garage :) . 3 days of sitting and the voltmeter hasn't budged. Maybe that was it.

Day 6. All good. Lock your doors kids.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hope you guys can get a laugh at my expense.

My car has been sitting for a while and today was a beautiful day, so I decided to run errands in the Fiat.

I grabbed the fob from the cubby hole where we keep keys, put it in my pocket, dropped the top and jumped in.

I pushed the start button and nothing. A brief light on the dash, but not even a hint of starting. I thought what an idiot I am - I didn’t even follow my own advice to lock the car.

I popped the hood and went to look for my jump starter. I had to run back into the house, so I grabbed the keys from my pocket only to discover that I had grabbed the fob to my wife’s car and thrown it in my pocket.

I got the correct fob and the car started right up. Amazing how that works, isn’t it? 😩

·
Registered
247 Posts
MANY, MANY months but see my battery in description. CCA is at the end of the multi-year life of the battery which is higher than OEM. Wasn't cheap but was well worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts