Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of you must be approaching two years by now. I’ve had mine for 18 months. I ‘m curious as to who has the highest mileage Spider by model year, especially those of you who use the 124 as a daily driver. And also if you had any mechanical issues, and when that occurred. So list your year, and current mileage...

Me...
Year: 2017
Miles: 9550
Problems: None

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,829 Posts
2018, purchased July 27th, 2018. 19K miles as of this week. I have HEAVILY modified, drag raced, and autocrossed on 3 different sets of tires and the only issue I have had is the keyless entry buttons on the door handles quit working when I had the windows tinted the first week of ownership. It's a known issue and Mazda has a Tech Bulletin out about excess water shorting the PCBs in the doors when tinting. I have yet to get it fixed. I should schedule an appointment to clear the red key and ! on the dash but it hasn't been a high priority on my list. Breaking 100mph and 14s in the 1/4 mile is!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Fabiana 2017 purchased 05/2017.

~ 10,000 mile.

No problems. The car was totaled 02/2018.

Aurora 2018 purchased 02/2018.

8437 miles including 1800 + miles for Fiat in the Rockies and 1100 + miles for a trip to Napa.

No problems to date. U76 update has not been done.

Dan

·
Banned
3,010 Posts

Have own it since November 2018, almost 8,000 miles

Bought new but 2017 model. The tints caused connectivity issues for a few days. But even now, if I plug my iPhone before the Bluetooth connects, I can’t hear any music because it says authentication failure. Dunno if Fiat or iOS issue or bad relationship between both.

I wish the Parking/Neutral rev. limiter was at 5,500 or 6,000 and not just 3,000.

Having issues with a taillight module and rear reflector bulb but might have been caused by a rear collision. Will find out in a week.

The soft top constantly fell outside the liner, drooping down, very annoying. Had to glue it shut, now it is fixed.

Like on 4 occasions it sounded like it had trouble turning on (like a struggle to turn on the engine). But it turned on nonetheless, just made a wheezing sound.

There are some loud and annoying sounds once you reach 75-80mph when top down and that just shouldn’t be the case in a roadster.

Some rattles here and there (dash, door) and on some other panels. Probably like 3 rattles but not very loud.

Had some issues with the tune shutting the car off but that was fixed with a tune revision raising the torque tables.

At the end of my autocross runs I think the engined heated up a little and pulled back power. I forgot to open the engine bay and have an open intake so that didn’t help, but I’ll be switching intakes soon and will try to remember to open it a bit in between runs.

I don’t like the Brake Fluid lid, seems very flimsy and I always have a ring of spilled fluid covering the container (not much but ugly). Speaking of, The e-brake light got on and turned out it was my brake fluid - it was a bit low after a track day. (This light appears when less than 2/5 full.

I don’t love how small the gas tank is, would like it if it was at least 35% bigger.

All in all, I love my car and can’t wait to have a more stable situation (might move/do an MBA soon) to buy another one or a 2019 Miata.

If I get another Spider it will be manual and have a downpipe and intercooler alongside a more aggressive tune.

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
Fabiana 2017 purchased 05/2017.

~ 10,000 mile.

No problems. The car was totaled 02/2018.

Aurora 2018 purchased 02/2018.

8437 miles including 1800 + miles for Fiat in the Rockies and 1100 + miles for a trip to Napa.

No problems to date. U76 update has not been done.

Dan
Oh geez what happened? How much was the repair bill for it to be considered totaled?

·
Registered
753 Posts
43,000 miles. Worst issue not caused by modding was a coolant leak from the water pump. I also have a evap leak that the car thinks is caused by a faulty gas cap but I think it may be something else. Both issues are probably caused by winter driving (cold air causing soft materials to harden). I have a second car this year so my 124 will not see another winter, thank god!

Reactions: SJWhiteley

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Having issues with a taillight module and rear reflector bulb but might have been caused by a rear collision. Will find out in a week.

Had some issues with the tune shutting the car off but that was fixed with a tune revision raising the torque tables.

At the end of my autocross runs I think the engined heated up a little and pulled back power. I forgot to open the engine bay and have an open intake so that didn’t help, but I’ll be switching intakes soon and will try to remember to open it a bit in between runs.

I don’t love how small the gas tank is, would like it if it was at least 35% bigger.

If I get another Spider it will be manual and have a downpipe and intercooler alongside a more aggressive tune.
Sorry, got to address this a little:

1) Taillight module MOST likely isn't what he's asking about, given your situation in a rear end accident. It's about general quality/confidence in the car from the factory and how its done at however many miles.

2) The torque limiter shut down was across ALL ECU tunes, from any vendor, that had had U76 Emission update, whether flashed on recall or purchased with it already installed. I was one of those U76 on purchase people, I struggled through lots of upgrades add tunes, but still got a lot out of it with that software. I have opted to go back a revision with the upgraded turbo and with in person tuning for my setup, it exceeds pretty much anything EuroCompusion has advertised. Besides the torque tables, the waste gate duty cycle tables are problematic. Even in Eddie's current 300+ HP build thread on the Fiat 500 board (for his Spider) is/was having issues with the same thing to get peak performance until the actual tuner sat in the car on the dyno.

3) Not opening your hood between any run of any race once its parked is almost Blasphemy!! Heat is the enemy on any car. Especially this one, it hates anythiing over 110F on the IAT for max performance, coolant temp isnt a "direct" power limiter but oil temp and IAT are definitely correlated under race conditions. The sensor is on the lower Intercooler to "cold" intake hose that is right next to the oil pan/engine block and gets heat soaked in no time even with the best of hoses and takes more than an hour at times to drop to max output levels (under110F).

4) Most tanks are rated for 300-350 miles.

5) I couldn't agree with you more!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Purchased May 2017 and just hit 12,000 miles. Although its technically my daily driver, I either work from home or catch a plane somewhere and when I'm flying, I Uber to the airport rather than leave my car parked there. So the reality is it does occasional errands and school runs, but overwhelmingly the miles on it are in the weekend toy role, going on cruises in the Colorado Rockies.

I've had two issues:

1. The AC keeps dumping coolant. It recently had the high side AC piping replaced under warranty so we'll see if that resolves the issue.

2. The driver's side BSM is a bit hyperactive. It was always slightly prone to the occasional false positive, but its gotten much worse recently and comes on pretty continuously. Working up the energy to take it to the dealer for them to look at.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Oh geez what happened? How much was the repair bill for it to be considered totaled?
My first car, Fabiana was totaled in a rear end collision with a semi tractor. Dark night and the truck had dim or no tail lights. Later I learned that my adaptive headlights were incorrectly aimed due to modification of ride height. Ameridan’s OBD II fix corrected this issue on Aurora. I had a Forum thread on this “Tragedy hits Fabiana and depotdan”. The thread can’t be found. I don’t know why. Lots of things can’t be found on the “new” Forum. The repair bill tabulation was in excess of $24,000.

9B954938-944A-4140-930D-B1BA806FAEA0.jpeg 6311BD2D-2E65-472E-AF87-C28DFB3FB3E7.jpeg 7C45EB31-8F81-40A1-B944-AD5127F0DE18.jpeg 60AB5995-8446-4A0C-B44E-C60A76CED9DC.jpeg DA4359C5-5F3A-45B0-ADED-0EAE2BF1F25F.jpeg A76E919D-0AAC-4434-ACA5-B54530FD7456.jpeg 9B954938-944A-4140-930D-B1BA806FAEA0.jpeg 6311BD2D-2E65-472E-AF87-C28DFB3FB3E7.jpeg

I receive a scratch on my forehead from the airbag pushing my glasses up my forehead and an airbag burn to my left wrist. I feel fortunate to have come out of this accident with only these minor injuries.

Dan

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
Sorry, got to address this a little:

1) Taillight module MOST likely isn't what he's asking about, given your situation in a rear end accident. It's about general quality/confidence in the car from the factory and how its done at however many miles.

2) The torque limiter shut down was across ALL ECU tunes, from any vendor, that had had U76 Emission update, whether flashed on recall or purchased with it already installed. I was one of those U76 on purchase people, I struggled through lots of upgrades add tunes, but still got a lot out of it with that software. I have opted to go back a revision with the upgraded turbo and with in person tuning for my setup, it exceeds pretty much anything EuroCompusion has advertised. Besides the torque tables, the waste gate duty cycle tables are problematic. Even in Eddie's current 300+ HP build thread on the Fiat 500 board (for his Spider) is/was having issues with the same thing to get peak performance until the actual tuner sat in the car on the dyno.

3) Not opening your hood between any run of any race once its parked is almost Blasphemy!! Heat is the enemy on any car. Especially this one, it hates anythiing over 110F on the IAT for max performance, coolant temp isnt a "direct" power limiter but oil temp and IAT are definitely correlated under race conditions. The sensor is on the lower Intercooler to "cold" intake hose that is right next to the oil pan/engine block and gets heat soaked in no time even with the best of hoses and takes more than an hour at times to drop to max output levels (under110F).

4) Most tanks are rated for 300-350 miles.

5) I couldn't agree with you more!
During my autoX I was never really parked, it was 5-6, 55 second runs at a time. I’ll come up with something haha.

And as for the gas tank, I know for a fact that this is a smaller one than on most cars, even if not, I still wish it was 35% larger. In 2 hours of driving moderately I can be at almost 1/4 a tank.

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
Purchased May 2017 and just hit 12,000 miles. Although its technically my daily driver, I either work from home or catch a plane somewhere and when I'm flying, I Uber to the airport rather than leave my car parked there. So the reality is it does occasional errands and school runs, but overwhelmingly the miles on it are in the weekend toy role, going on cruises in the Colorado Rockies.

I've had two issues:

1. The AC keeps dumping coolant. It recently had the high side AC piping replaced under warranty so we'll see if that resolves the issue.

2. The driver's side BSM is a bit hyperactive. It was always slightly prone to the occasional false positive, but its gotten much worse recently and comes on pretty continuously. Working up the energy to take it to the dealer for them to look at.
+1 to the finicky BSM system, sometimes prone to false alarms, but it can be useful on several occasions. Not a HUGE must-have imo.

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
My first car, Fabiana was totaled in a rear end collision with a semi tractor. Dark night and the truck had dim or no tail lights. Later I learned that my adaptive headlights were incorrectly aimed due to modification of ride. Ameridan’s OBD II fix corrected this issue on Aurora. I had a Forum thread on this “Tragedy hits Fabiana and depotdan”. The thread can’t be found. I don’t know why. Lots of things can’t be found on the “new” Forum. The repair bill tabulation was in excess of $24,000.

View attachment 72304 View attachment 72305 View attachment 72306 View attachment 72307 View attachment 72308 View attachment 72309 View attachment 72304 View attachment 72305

I receive a scratch on my forehead from the airbag pushing my glasses up my forehead and an airbag burn to my left wrist. I feel fortunate to have come out of this accident with only these minor injuries.

Dan
A shame! I saw that it had some nice bits in it. However, I’m glad for us both that this car has a 5-star safety rating.

Were you tempted to get a Miata for a change or not really?

Reactions: depotdan

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
+1 to the finicky BSM system, sometimes prone to false alarms, but it can be useful on several occasions. Not a HUGE must-have imo.
I agree - I could live without it, although the rear cross-traffic feature is useful when backing out from between trucks or SUV's.

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
I agree - I could live without it, although the rear cross-traffic feature is useful when backing out from between trucks or SUV's.
Yes I really appreciate that, has quite a bit of range! I don’t love however the random orange warnings on my mirrors in the middle of the night popping up due to walls nearby...can be distracting/surprising.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
During my autoX I was never really parked, it was 5-6, 55 second runs at a time. I’ll come up with something haha.

And as for the gas tank, I know for a fact that this is a smaller one than on most cars, even if not, I still wish it was 35% larger. In 2 hours of driving moderately I can be at almost 1/4 a tank.
In Puerto Rico, and in Arizona for me as a matter of fact, maybe an oil cooler add on would be in order for hard use. Maybe a hood scoop and exhaust port like the 500s have to keep everything a little cooler during a hard run. But back to the original intent, it wasn't a quality issue with the car per se, but the conditions you were putting it under at that time.

I can't defend or condemn the fuel tank. Its the size that puts the average MPG to about a 300ish range. You may drive hard all the time and get much less range. I'm with you. I drag, I drive hard through 3 gears at times on my commute, averaging low 20s MPG. Other times, I'm calm as the ocean and get 42+MPG on the same commute just easing everything and shifting at 3K max and slow acceleration.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Were you tempted to get a Miata for a change or not really?
I didn’t consider any other car. I prefer the styling and power train of the Fiat. It looks like tuners are finally figuring out how to extract more reliable power out of this small motor. Thanks EC and @Calehedron. I’m sure other tuners will soon follow. I purchased Aurora as soon as I found her in McKinney, TX a few days later.

For me the spider is a near flawless car. There have been exceptions as posted on the Forum. I think @BillaVista ’s issues have been the most documented. The largest problem, it seems, is dealer and FCA service. I would say that Mazda has the better service and follow up.

Dan

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Car nearly 3 years old, I have owned for 2.7 years. 23000 miles. Used as daily in all weather including ice, light snow and lots of rain given where I live.

• Early cabin rattles sorted with auto felt tape
  • one set of new tyres in that time and three services
  • reasonable number of mods
Love the simplicity
Nothing major but coming up for MoT in September so fingers crossed.

Bad:
  • awful paint
  • squeaky break pedal
  • if you open door with engine off and roof down you have to go back to ACC mode to close windows
  • I have an odd clunk on slow bumps which sounds like boot lid, but I have adjusted it and it is closed as much as possible. Doesn't really bother me
Other than that, love it. Love the mods, the noise, the special ness (never see one driving here )

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So far HaZ looks like the leader at 43,000 miles. Impressive total for this car is such a span.

·
Registered
296 Posts
1,200 miles. Passenger dash rattle, and driver side rattle somewhere near the roof. Also I think the passenger seat is rubbing against the side pillar and making noises. Other than that knock on wood nothing. Oh yes, I also had a wheezing sound on one occasion when starting her up.

Small rock chips all over the front windshield. :(
I live in LA and only have 1,200 miles on her for so many.

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
1,200 miles. Passenger dash rattle, and driver side rattle somewhere near the roof. Also I think the passenger seat is rubbing against the side pillar and making noises. Other than that knock on wood nothing. Oh yes, I also had a wheezing sound on one occasion when starting her up.

Small rock chips all over the front windshield. :(
I live in LA and only have 1,200 miles on her for so many.
I recommend fixing it and putting PPF on the windshield.

Reactions: depotdan
1 - 20 of 99 Posts