Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I purchased my 124 Spider Abarth on 5/2017. As of 7/6/2019, I have 32,555 miles on it. The only issues I have had was the P1CEA error with my EC V2 intake (resolved with a revised hose), and starting the car after extended storage.

·
Registered
332 Posts
View attachment 72303
Have own it since November 2018, almost 8,000 miles

Bought new but 2017 model. The tints caused connectivity issues for a few days. But even now, if I plug my iPhone before the Bluetooth connects, I can’t hear any music because it says authentication failure. Dunno if Fiat or iOS issue or bad relationship between both.

I wish the Parking/Neutral rev. limiter was at 5,500 or 6,000 and not just 3,000.

Having issues with a taillight module and rear reflector bulb but might have been caused by a rear collision. Will find out in a week.

The soft top constantly fell outside the liner, drooping down, very annoying. Had to glue it shut, now it is fixed.

Like on 4 occasions it sounded like it had trouble turning on (like a struggle to turn on the engine). But it turned on nonetheless, just made a wheezing sound.

There are some loud and annoying sounds once you reach 75-80mph when top down and that just shouldn’t be the case in a roadster.

Some rattles here and there (dash, door) and on some other panels. Probably like 3 rattles but not very loud.

Had some issues with the tune shutting the car off but that was fixed with a tune revision raising the torque tables.

At the end of my autocross runs I think the engined heated up a little and pulled back power. I forgot to open the engine bay and have an open intake so that didn’t help, but I’ll be switching intakes soon and will try to remember to open it a bit in between runs.

I don’t like the Brake Fluid lid, seems very flimsy and I always have a ring of spilled fluid covering the container (not much but ugly). Speaking of, The e-brake light got on and turned out it was my brake fluid - it was a bit low after a track day. (This light appears when less than 2/5 full.

I don’t love how small the gas tank is, would like it if it was at least 35% bigger.

All in all, I love my car and can’t wait to have a more stable situation (might move/do an MBA soon) to buy another one or a 2019 Miata.

If I get another Spider it will be manual and have a downpipe and intercooler alongside a more aggressive tune.

·
Registered
332 Posts
17 Classica, bought new June 2018. Just broke 10k miles, 7500 since tune. Sole problem to date was a hose on PCs system coming off last Sunday while accelerating pretty hard. Simple failure of a clamp- dealer replaced with a standard full circle screw clamp. Car ran lousy with hose disconnected?, but smoothed rightout when I plugged the hose back in. Drove over 140 miles after I reinserted the hose without the clamp being engaged with no issue, but held revs to <4K. Extremely reliable car to date..

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Currently at 10k on a 2017. No problems except self induced ones...

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
830 Posts
My 4-month old Spider Abarth has 4,000 miles at the moment:
  1. The dealer replaced the water pump twice: at 3,700 miles, and again at 4,000 miles. Although the second time appears to have just reinstalled the pump properly.
  2. Unconnect and Pandora appear to be in non-speaking terms. Pandora’s connectivity with Uconnect keeps getting worse by the day. I am not having as much problem between Pandora and the Toyota Entune system on my Tacoma truck.
  3. I’m not fond of Mazda’s navigation system. It is not user-friendly. And the sound quality of the optional Bose system is just meh.
  4. This one was self-induced: the Goodwin exhaust started rattling. The local shop that installed moved it 3/4 of an inch to one side and the rattling ended
Overall I really like this car, though. It is fun as hell, turns heads and is pretty efficient. The seats and the suspension are surprisingly comfortable, and the car looks and feels well finished.

Hopefully the water pump was the last of my mechanical problems.

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
  1. The dealer replaced the water pump twice: at 3,700 miles, and again at 4,000 miles. Although the second time appears to have just reinstalled the pump properly.
  2. Unconnect and Pandora appear to be in non-speaking terms. Pandora’s connectivity with Uconnect keeps getting worse by the day. I am not having as much problem between Pandora and the Toyota Entune system on my Tacoma truck.
  3. I’m not fond of Mazda’s navigation system. It is not user-friendly. And the sound quality of the optional Bose system is just meh.
  4. This one was self-induced: the Goodwin exhaust started rattling. The local shop that installed moved it 3/4 of an inch to one side and the rattling ended
Overall I really like this car, though. It is fun as hell, turns heads and is pretty efficient. The seats and the suspension are surprisingly comfortable, and the car looks and feels well finished.

What is it that makes so many of these get replaced? Do many come with a crack from factory or what?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,829 Posts
What is it that makes so many of these get replaced? Do many come with a crack from factory or what?
Mass production margin of error. Parts aren't custom fit, takes too much time and drives production costs up.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Also if the pumps all came from the same production run, they likely suffer the same defect. Kinda like the thermostats that were replaced and didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don’t really know.

But in its long-term wrap up, Car and Driver complaints that the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrafoglio spent 81 days in the shop. Throughout the 40,000 miles the magazine kept the car, it suffered a long list of electrical and mechanical problems; one of those visits was to replace the water pump.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

I had rattling issues with my Goodwin exhaust as well. I even had the mid-pipe blow apart during a race one night. It wasn't until I realized the idiot (me) who installed it did a poor job lining up the collar at the mid-pipe that my problems went away. It does require occasional adjusting, however. I think if you aren't racing your car it probably doesn't loosen up as much.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I don’t really know.

But in its long-term wrap up, Car and Driver complaints that the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrafoglio spent 81 days in the shop. Throughout the 40,000 miles the magazine kept the car, it suffered a long list of electrical and mechanical problems; one of those visits was to replace the water pump.
But that's a real Italian car, to be expected, lol

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
I don’t really know.

One of the reasons I’d consider the ZL1 over the Giulia QV.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just found a new problem... A/C leak. Actually this may have happened maybe 5000 miles ago but I've only recently started using my A/C frequently so it took me a while to notice. I've found two points of leakage, one serious one at the condenser hose connection, and a minor one at the low side refrigerant charge port. I used some UV dye to pinpoint the leaks, this stuff is very useful.

Replacing the O-rings at these locations did not solve the leak. I suspect the leak may actually be coming from the metal part of the condenser. Gonna try to inject a can of A/C leak repair to see if it helps. If not, will have to replace a few components.

While checking the A/C I found another problem. For those of you with the EC intercooler, here's something to watch out for as you rack up the mileage. The driver side intercooler hose was rubbing against the edge of the middle engine cover trim and over time developed a cut. I was concerned about rubbing before installing the intercooler and now the concern has become real. Now you know the reason why the stock intercooler hoses are secured to the frame.

I wrapped the cut in duct tape and secured the hose to a frame rail above with zip ties so it clears the trim panel. Hopefully there are no other serious points of contact. If the cut was any deeper, duct tape ain't going to save it that's for sure.

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
Nice finds @HaZ

As for the A/C leaks, why not let the dealer do it?

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
My local dealer charges an arm and a leg for this kind of work and do a shitty job.
But isn’t A/C work covered under warranty?

·
Registered
753 Posts
But isn’t A/C work covered under warranty?
Maybe, not sure, but I’m not letting a dealer touch my car again even if it’s free. Every time they fix something they break something else, that’s how bad they are.

Reactions: Racer27 and Dabixi

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wrote earlier, that I have no problems with the car, but it developed juddering under heavy acceleration. Calling dealer tomorrow. Car has around 4200 miles now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Auto. It happens when I press pedal to the floor, so when overtaking or suddenly accelerating. If accelerating smoothly, it's ok. I booked appointment with dealership on Monday. I will probably create proper thread when I know more.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts