Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
I wrote earlier, that I have no problems with the car, but it developed juddering under heavy acceleration. Calling dealer tomorrow. Car has around 4200 miles now.
What do you mean juddering? Under heavy acceleration mine had some rattles, hope the deadening mod will fix it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It means cars is hiccuping or kanagarooing, when I floor it. It goes forward but shaking. Like it's getting too much petrol and it's choking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
By the time my previous Porsche Cayman was a few years old with low miles I had these problems. The plastic soft touch was coming off everywhere. I spent a couple grand on covering plastic with leather due to it. Although the leather on the seats was thick, it did not wear well. The complete headliner fell down, a known problem in humid areas, and had to be replaced. The Bose stereo had an intermittent problem where the sound came out like it had a blown speaker. Only way to fix it would have been to randomly replace components since it was intermittent. A plastic elbow for the headlight washer broke leaking all of the windshield washer fluid out. A part that should have cost like 30 cents cost like 30 bucks. The oil/air separator had to be replaced.

And the most annoying problem was an ignition problem. Often when you went to start the car nothing would happen. There were like five things that could cause it, all known and all common. I tried a few of them and none of them worked.

That's all I can remember off of the top of my head. I would say these Fiats are pretty reliable.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dealer also ordered new roof and roll bar covers as there was a bit of rubbing, been 3 months, they still don't have the parts. FIAT Service/Cust.support is a joke.
How much push back did you get on this? My top seems to be rubbing against the roll bar covers when it's down and the fabric has started to tear.

·
Registered
600 Posts
How much push back did you get on this? My top seems to be rubbing against the roll bar covers when it's down and the fabric has started to tear.
They are the ones who suggested this as the ONLY Fix. Ordered parts end of May. They are still waiting on parts. Just called dealer a few min ago, parts are supposed to arrive today, but not received

Reactions: Clutch_22

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
Wouldn’t this affect ALL models?

(Same measurements?)

·
Read Only
69 Posts
Just over 2000 miles. CEL with knock sensor code that eventually turned into multiple codes. Took it to the dealer, which is 98 miles away and was diagnosed with "PCM not grounding circuit". Dealer had to order a new PCM. Today, a week and a half later I drive the 98 miles back to the dealer.

Now, let me back up a bit. I previously bought a knock sensor with hopes of changing it out myself only to realize that it was an impossible task lying on my back with the car on jack stands.

Anyway, the PCM was replaced and programmed, but the knock sensor code was still present. Dealer stated that parts department did not have it. I have to wonder why when they initially saw the knock sensor code, why didn't they order it with the PCM? Good thing I had mine in my pocket to save another visit as the dealer installed it.

All seems well now after the 98 mile drive home. Hope it stays that way. Thinking about a tune but am sort of concerned about messing with the PCM after this ordeal.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Geez. 98 miles is a hike! Hope it stays fixed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 6 months and 2600 miles on a 2019 Abarth. The paint is pretty, yet as others have said, it is bad. Have already touch-up spray-painted my driver's side door-end due to the paint coming off entirely, down to bare metal, when the door-end took a single hit against a wooden box surrounded with chicken wire for protecting a mountain cabin's garbage cans from raccoons, etc. Other than the bad paint and/or paint-job, I have had only a few very minor issues as of yet: The TPMS had not been set up, so that warning light came on after about a week. The plastic insert in my convertible top drivers side handhold recess fell out. I did not realize it and got a piercing poke from something quite sharp that is normally covered by the plastic insert. I did find the plastic insert down in the recess area for the top when its down. I clicked it back into its recess and it's not fallen back out, as least so far, but that finger poke hurt enough that my fingers now take note of the plastic insert being present prior to applying any pressure in the handhold for closing the top! I have toed the trunk button and opened the trunk accidentally enough times to subconsciously train my body to avoid that button which should, but does not, requiring holding it a sec like every other car in the world. I have also been jabbed minorly painfully in the toe while exiting the vehicle barefoot, in toeless sandals, or in flip flops. This has not hurt enough as of yet to find and cover the sharp thing, but it's definitely an "omgs ouch" moment when I get that poke! I did have a big issue with power loss one day, but that was my own failure in attaching the EC FMIC piping to the throttle body. Good news regard that is the car still drove, however weakly, to the cabin up in the hills. It would go 80mph on flat land and maintain speed up to about a 3% grade before the speed would start to slowly drop off at inclines of more than about 3% grade what with having my turbo out of play (again due entirely to my own failure as a mechanic)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Trunk button? Haven’t noticed it yet (I use the one on the trunk lid). Gotta check the owners manual for its location.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is precisely where your lower extremeties can bump it getting in or out of the car. Left knee area when you're sitting in the driver's seat, but alone on its own down below the row of other buttons. Given the existence of the trunk lid's button, disconnecting this one might be a fine idea for me to do! When I mean to open the trunk, I use the trunk lid button too! ...And if any model(s) lack this button, good for y'all! 🤣

·
Registered
953 Posts
It is precisely where your lower extremeties can bump it getting in or out of the car. Left knee area when you're sitting in the driver's seat, but alone on its own down below the row of other buttons. Given the existence of the trunk lid's button, disconnecting this one might be a fine idea for me to do! When I mean to open the trunk, I use the trunk lid button too! ...And if any model(s) lack this button, good for y'all! 🤣
Found it (with my eyes). I’ll sleep better tonight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Consumer Reports named the Mazda MX-5 as the most reliable car in 2020. Inasmuch as the 124 is a 70% cousin of the Miata reliability should be very good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i've had the car for a few months, perhaps a few months and a half -- 2018 with 13k miles on the clock. the driver's side seat's upper bolster wears easily, or at least the previous owner got in and out of the car rubbing against the same area over and over again so as to rub away the coating as well as the coloring of the saddle brown leather and leave a few black marks.

i had to take the car to the dealership a week ago because it was idling very roughly and would often stall. i took a peek under the hood but couldn't see anything obviously wrong. a CEL came on and it turned out to be related to the MAF because a clip connecting a hose to the air filter box had cracked and the seal was creating an ever so small vacuum leak. at least they were able to find it quickly enough and i didn't have to wait for any parts to be ordered as they miraculously had the part in stock.

we'll see if any more problems pop up, but hopefully not. i'm trying to prevent additional wear onto the seat by contorting my body when getting out to avoid the damaged areas and for whatever reason the worn areas are black -- i wouldn't have guessed that as when the leather wore in a previous vehicle of mine it was lighter than the dyed leather and so it made dying it over again much easier. not much you can do with a black spot in terms of dye.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i've had the car for a few months, perhaps a few months and a half -- 2018 with 13k miles on the clock. the driver's side seat's upper bolster wears easily, or at least the previous owner got in and out of the car rubbing against the same area over and over again so as to rub away the coating as well as the coloring of the saddle brown leather and leave a few black marks.

i had to take the car to the dealership a week ago because it was idling very roughly and would often stall. i took a peek under the hood but couldn't see anything obviously wrong. a CEL came on and it turned out to be related to the MAF because a clip connecting a hose to the air filter box had cracked and the seal was creating an ever so small vacuum leak. at least they were able to find it quickly enough and i didn't have to wait for any parts to be ordered as they miraculously had the part in stock.

we'll see if any more problems pop up, but hopefully not. i'm trying to prevent additional wear onto the seat by contorting my body when getting out to avoid the damaged areas and for whatever reason the worn areas are black -- i wouldn't have guessed that as when the leather wore in a previous vehicle of mine it was lighter than the dyed leather and so it made dying it over again much easier. not much you can do with a black spot in terms of dye.
Do a search for the post titled Saddle Seat Repair.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts