Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiat says it has 164HP,ok but what about at the wheel. EDL dynamic + map says 47WHP, total how much that would be.

I need to buy hay, so I want o know how many WHP my SCATOLETTA has.>:)

·
Banned
210 Posts
I'd say about 140 is a true realistic estimate.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so 140 + 47 from EDL dynamic + map = 187 +3 from V1, total would be 190 WHP
Engine HP would be 164 +5(v1) +47whp (edl) total 216 HP
Conclusion 26HP are lost from engine to the Wheel.

·
Banned
210 Posts
so 140 + 47 from EDL dynamic + map = 187 +3 from V1, total would be 190 WHP
Engine HP would be 164 +5(v1) +47whp (edl) total 216 HP
Conclusion 26HP are lost from engine to the Wheel.
Unfortunately, adding power together like that rarely works. The best way to get a really good number is to run the 1/4 and get your trap speed. Plus it's a really fun way to spend a day/evening. You'll see a bunch of great cars and meet people that are also into cars. They often have scales at the track that you can get a quick weigh in done at as well. Then you can do the math to figure out what you have. The math is based on the strip though, not software. ;)

I have my base line and tuned power numbers from a real dyno, but I use it only as a part measure to establish what I really have. It should mirror what the track says. Bigger numbers with less results is not nearly as fun as conservative numbers with big results. :D

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the only way for me to run the 1/4 mile and get a speed trap is with the collaboration of a COP,:D
He will give me a ticket and demerit points, and yes he will tell me the speed I was going at.>:)

·
Banned
210 Posts
i think the only way for me to run the 1/4 mile and get a speed trap is with the collaboration of a COP,:D
He will give me a ticket and demerit points, and yes he will tell me the speed I was going at.>:)
You would need to drive to your local drag strip. Any around you?

·
Registered
449 Posts
A 124Spider loses between clutch and wheel (new oe 17" wheels) about 25-30hp. Change the wheels to 9x17 with 235er and you will lose even more.
That is why wheel power isn´t comparable. You can see it on every day which measures the drivetrain loss.
Also a Dragstrip isn´t accurate enough. If you want to measure on 1/4 mile all cars have to use the same Wheels and tires.
With math you can calculate the power at the wheels but you don`t know what changed at the engine. Change tires and bam you maybe find 20hp. ;)

An FWD Abart500 only loses 15-20hp from clutch to wheel.

I only know one really accurate road measurement method. The swiss made INSORIC (it also measures the air resistance of the car and drivetrain)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts