Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 500$ according to Fiat.

The Miata equivalents are 100$ in total, I'm tempted to get those and manually trim them as needed.

If anyone knows of any junkyard 124s on the east coast, I'd rather take a roadtrip for that money than pay the dealer...

·
Registered
129 Posts
what happened to your old fender liner?
just get some flex tape and fix it

I only took off the fender liner once to install LED lights
it is a bit bigger than most cars but not sure the difference between the ND miata

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Devil's Triangle happened to it...

Part of the road was eroded, my car got tossed pretty seriously, and the liner got caught on something.
Not exactly easy to pull over where it happened so I had to accept it was gone

ND Miata one is extremely similar, the OEM diagrams are actually exactly the same, but Redline Auto Parts did a good parts comparison between our cars and found the liner is slight different in real life to account for the different bumpers.

I'm tempted to get one anyways and see if I can just trim it or extend it as needed. Maybe 3D print an adapter out of a flexible material

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
FCA is charging ridiculous prices for replacement parts. I lost my passenger rocker panel at the track after hitting a cone. The panel itself wasn't damaged at all. It just broke off several of the plastic clips needed to hold it on. My body shop had to order them from overseas and they were stupid expensive. It was $500 just to snap the rocker panel back on.

·
Registered
241 Posts
FCA is charging ridiculous prices for replacement parts. I lost my passenger rocker panel at the track after hitting a cone. The panel itself wasn't damaged at all. It just broke off several of the plastic clips needed to hold it on. My body shop had to order them from overseas and they were stupid expensive. It was $500 just to snap the rocker panel back on.
I snapped mine back on myself, it wasn't that bad. But I'm missing 2 of the mounts (the actual side skirt part that the clips slide into) up top for the green clips and 3 of the 5 on the bottom gray ones. The skirt got scraped up a touch and bent slightly, too. Replacement...700-1100, but at least it's color matched. That's a crazy expensive part! I just keep using it, though. The car sees road use and autoX...not like I'm trying to wow the losers at the local cars and coffee or other hard parking events.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I snapped mine back on myself, it wasn't that bad. But I'm missing 2 of the mounts (the actual side skirt part that the clips slide into) up top for the green clips and 3 of the 5 on the bottom gray ones. The skirt got scraped up a touch and bent slightly, too. Replacement...700-1100, but at least it's color matched. That's a crazy expensive part! I just keep using it, though. The car sees road use and autoX...not like I'm trying to wow the losers at the local cars and coffee or other hard parking events.
My body shop guy was at the track the day it happened to me. He's a racer also. There were just too many shattered clips to be able to snap it back on. I had him do the mod with the self tapping screws to hold the panels on for any future hits. It worked brilliantly when I hit a cone going almost 60 mph. Luckily, all the damage to the door buffed out as well. Like it never happened.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now sitting in my living room is... a rocker panel. Mine came off on an unmarked speed bump.

I got a used one for 200$, but it's not a color match for my car. I've been planning on wrapping the car anyways, so part of me is tempted to just install it... but knowing it's a different color there would bug me lol

-

Anyways, I just ordered the Miata liner, full cost for the 3 part liner is 89$.

The cheapest part of the 3 from Fiat cost more than all the Miata ones combined, and I'll be picking it up from the dealer so I get to save shipping too (which apparently would add 200$ to the price I quoted above)

Slowly restoring my car to it's former glory, it's been through a lot (I say as it's currently in the shop to fix some serious hit and run damage to top all this off)

·
Registered
415 Posts
That's a stupid price. Sounds like an opportunity to put louvers in the fenders and design custom liners that extract air from the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Right now sitting in my living room is... a rocker panel. Mine came off on an unmarked speed bump.
I got a used one for 200$, but it's not a color match for my car. I've been planning on wrapping the car anyways, so part of me is tempted to just install it... but knowing it's a different color there would bug me lol
Anyways, I just ordered the Miata liner, full cost for the 3 part liner is 89$.
The cheapest part of the 3 from Fiat cost more than all the Miata ones combined, and I'll be picking it up from the dealer so I get to save shipping too (which apparently would add 200$ to the price I quoted above)
Slowly restoring my car to it's former glory, it's been through a lot (I say as it's currently in the shop to fix some serious hit and run damage to top all this off)
Bump.... bump on the thread, that is...

Any update on whether the Mazda fender liner fits out Spiders (or not)?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Slightly off topic but related....I decided long ago this is a drivers car and not a showroom collector ........I tend to resort to slightly ugly but better than leaving it as is fixes like this black screw holding my grille in after the clips broke ...I'm usually the only one to notice....
PXL_20210613_160719246.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
After doing some more recent parts pricing checqueing, although MOPAR parts are typically an order of magnitude higher than the equivalent Mazda parts, I do see that the prices have dropped on the fender liners. What I do find peculiar is that there's a $100 CAD difference between the driver and passenger side version of the same item (passenger side being the less expensive one). Defies any logic that I've tried to come up with that would explain the price diffrerence. So the passenger side one comes in around $110 CAD and the driver side version is around $220 CAD. However, that piece that fits inside the wheel well towards the front of the vehicle is plus beaucoup costly.... that little sucker still gets priced out at nearly $400 CAD, and that's a considerably smaller piece. Let's say I'm baffled, but not surprised.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts