Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For people who have paid to have their oil changed, how much did you pay to have it changed?
Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
OUCH..... That will pay for my oil, filter, and my new oil extraction pump im buying...
I'm in an apt, with the extractor.. I can do my own again like the years i had a house
Before I got sick of home ownership, HOA's and couldnt wait to get back into an apt.. :0)

Miss the garage.. Reconsidering.. but IF I buy again... Rule #1... NO HOA !!!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I paid $104. can tax included for OIL and Filter last November. But often Mopar sends me an email on promotion, So if I were used their $20. coupon rebate on the Synthetic oil change, it would have const me around $80. can.

Next fall believe me I will use that coupon and not ignore their mail.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I got an email a few days ago from Fiat for a free oil change, (5 Qts.), and oil filter. Seems like I bought my top oil extractor a bit too soon

·
Registered
186 Posts
For people who have paid to have their oil changed, how much did you pay to have it changed?
Mark
At my local servicing Studio, $25.00 oil change and filter, using my own supplied oil. Seems like a good deal. :)
CA_Kid

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am more than capable of changing the oil on this car myself, but I am going to run it through the local dealership so there are no warranty difficulties. Once out of warranty, I will do it myself.

I had a VW that blew the motor while under warranty and they did EVERYTHING they could to pin it on me, especially with non-dealer oil changes. I had to literally fight for my life against the service manager, regional rep., etc. to get that motor (7k bill) covered under warranty. I eventually won but it was a bare knuckled fight I doubt most customers could have come out on top of.

I also refuse to modify this car while under factory warranty. You can quote Magnuson Moss to the moon, but they are looking for way to get out of the warranty on these vehicles. I've seen some stuff on the Corvette forum that would blow your mind. Warranties denied for removing the skip-shift function on the 6 speed manual, etc.

I'm just getting to old to fight this crap anymore.

·
Administrator
1,928 Posts
I spend about $90 for 3 oil changes' worth of oil with AMSOIL and about $6 a filter off rockauto. I've always changed the oil myself and with the top down extractor, it's very difficult to justify paying someone else to do it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I spend about $90 for 3 oil changes' worth of oil with AMSOIL and about $6 a filter off rockauto. I've always changed the oil myself and with the top down extractor, it's very difficult to justify paying someone else to do it.
What exact oil do you use in your car? Looking to change mine before I have 2-3 guys racing it this weekend. Is it just Full Synthetic Amsoil 5w-40 Euro?

Just trying to find out where to get oil, considering this car requires less than 4qts, I might as well get the best stuff I can find too. Usually, with the STI I'd run T6, but that's not really designed for this car at all. I feel like spending a few dollars more on Amsoil over Valvoline or Pennzoil is probably worth it.

Thanks,

·
Administrator
1,928 Posts
What exact oil do you use in your car? Looking to change mine before I have 2-3 guys racing it this weekend. Is it just Full Synthetic Amsoil 5w-40 Euro?

Just trying to find out where to get oil, considering this car requires less than 4qts, I might as well get the best stuff I can find too. Usually, with the STI I'd run T6, but that's not really designed for this car at all. I feel like spending a few dollars more on Amsoil over Valvoline or Pennzoil is probably worth it.

Thanks,
Shoot me a PM, I just shipped another member out a case of 12 quarts this morning. I use the AMSOIL 5W-40 Classic ESP European Formula. Despite heavy fuel dilution in my oil due to my driving style and conditions (hard WOT driving frequently with short trips under 10 miles), my wear levels were very low in the last analysis report.

T6 doesn't have a very good volatility or shear stability anyway.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Shoot me a PM, I just shipped another member out a case of 12 quarts this morning. I use the AMSOIL 5W-40 Classic ESP European Formula. Despite heavy fuel dilution in my oil due to my driving style and conditions (hard WOT driving frequently with short trips under 10 miles), my wear levels were very low in the last analysis report.

T6 doesn't have a very good volatility or shear stability anyway.
I got my oil (Engine & Gear) from @XtremeRevolution. Very prompt delivery, well packaged. 1st time using AMSOL Product. Only have 3200 miles on car including a track day, will change out the fluids at 4000 Miles.

I've never had to top off the oil, it is right at the top of the cross hatchs (Cold). Engine Oil still looks clean (Amber). In 3000 Miles Catch can has only caught about 1/2 a water bottle cap full of Oil. Looking forward to doing a before/after comparison on the Manual Tranny after fluid change. When I test drove the ND MIATA, only 3 things I like better were:
- Round shift Knob (Will be rectified with a replacement Knob)
- Smoother Shifter (Yes, I know less beefy, but it was smoother, much like my NA Miata) (Hope the fluid helps. Upgrading to Redline Fluid on my RX-8 was helpful))
- Exhaust Note - With the "Sound Tubes", top UP MIATA Exhaust note was nicer (3rd Party Cat Back when $$$ are available)

·
Registered
454 Posts
At my local servicing Studio, $25.00 oil change and filter, using my own supplied oil. Seems like a good deal. :)
CA_Kid
This is what I do with my wife's 500C plut about $20 for the 4 qts of Penzoil Ultra oil. I buy 2 X 5 quarts jugs of 5w30 and my Wrangler uses 6 quarts. The 4 left go to the Fiat.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I used to change oil at the dealership so they keep a maintenance record on my car and cannot use "improper maintenance" as an excuse to deny warranty.

Now that my car is loaded with mods, I might as well start doing my own oil changes, lol. That warranty is as good as dead!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes it is, as soon as the warranty runs out:::)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Costs me 4 quarts of Penzoil, a filter and 40 minutes of my time, which is about 20 minutes less than it takes me to drive to and from the dealership, never mind sitting about waiting for them to do an oil change.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I used to change oil at the dealership so they keep a maintenance record on my car and cannot use "improper maintenance" as an excuse to deny warranty.

Now that my car is loaded with mods, I might as well start doing my own oil changes, lol. That warranty is as good as dead!
I keep my own maintenance records. Have I mentioned I'm OCD?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts