Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and how much V-Power in a 9,000 Gal. Tanker, or EXXON scrubbing bubbles??? Problem is, as an auditor/accountant I am always a skeptic when it comes to claims made by BIG Oil Companies. I always preached to my accounting staff than, " I GOD we Trust... all others we Audit".

That being said...I can tell you for a fact, that here in Central Texas (Austin) that there is only ONE pipeline coming from Corpus Christi, and it is owned by the Koch Brothers ( Flint Hills Resources) . I would guess that 90% or more of the fuel trucks running around Austin, go to that Fuel Depot and get their load of Gas. AT the Depot, there are TWO Large Tanks, one marked Regular and the Other Premium... I was lucky to ask a Fuel Truck Driver the question, of where was the Techron or V-Power Tanks??? He said, " They are underground"... He said that when he is going to a Chevron Delivery, he presses a special CODE that mixes the Regular/ or Premium Fuel with the Techron and puts it in his truck.
So my next questions was..." how many gallons of Techron or what percentage of your truck has Techron???. He couldn't answer.

Does anybody on this forum have a guess or good answer to how much Techron we are getting??? I guess legally, if the driver pulls out of the depot and climbs on top of his truck, and empties a WalMart bottle of Techron into his tanker, he is fulfilling the requirement that Chevron has Techron in its gas.

So my " I'm getting ripped offed antenna" is on full blast.

Thanks for all replies...Not Sure.:(

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I'm no chemist, but seems reasonable to me that the only difference is what additives are added by the individual brands.

When in SoCal it was a regular scam that two of the three refineries producing California blend gas would shut down for 'essential' maintenance at the same time thus pushing demand (and price) for gas coming from the one remaining refinery. With only three sources max, it was clear the brands were sharing the base stock.

·
Registered
449 Posts
In Europe: Aral Ultimate 102 and shell Vpower100 are made with a special base fuels not just an additive. But additives can make a huge difference. Also if you blend 50% 89RON with 50% 93RON you get about 90RON not 91.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Great questions. In the Minneapolis/St.Paul and surrounding region we have three sources- a Koch refinery (consumer fuels, petrochemicals, and a direct pipeline to our international airport), Ashland Refining (consumer fuels, and parent company to Valvoline, but I don't know what else they refine there), and a big pipeline (Tesoro may operate it now, other have operated it in the past) from somewhere northwest that sends gasoline to a huge distribution tank farm in Roseville, MN, which trucks from a 200 mile radius fill from. Mobil, Shell, BP are the big brands in town I can remember, along with our regionals, SuperAmerica and Holiday, and it's these two regional brands who dominate our market. SA is HQ'ed near the Ashland refinery, and I believe they have some sort of relationship other than gasoline.

Top Tier additives used to be available at local Shell dealers, no longer at the one near me. SA is schlepping TT additives now. Holiday has their own additive that claims to match TT performance. Kwik Trip, a regional based in WI and coming into our area, claims to blend with Top Tier.

Then there are the no-name mom and pops, who seem to take whatever is left in the tanker truck and make no claims to what you are buying. Okay, my assumption, but I have seen the same non-brand tanker truck be at a brand station, then move down the street to the little guy.

When SA changes their pump price, everyone else does, too. Then they blame the wholesaler. Hmmm, I'm pretty sure, by extension, that SA IS the wholesaler around here! At least one of them. It's all a racquet.

Steve.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes ...Steve, your last statement sums it up exactly..."It's all a racquet"...

Not Sure..

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'll need to correct my above post- the previously mentioned tank farm is closer to big than huge, and is operated (owned?) by NuStar, whoever they are. (Some petro-infrastructure company, I'd guess.) But, branded and non-branded trucks all ship out of this terminal. Same with the Koch/Flint Hills refinery and their terminal.

Gasoline is gasoline, it just depends on whose additive package is in it. Makes one wonder, though, if some of these additive packages aren't just the same licensed package with different names on them.

Something else to consider might be the age and condition of the underground tanks at the retail station, and what sort of junk has settled inside them over time. Not to mention the trucker putting the wrong product in the retail tank. Just a thought.

Steve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts