Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiat says the 124spider has 164 HP, but stock how much WHP.

Adding a V1 (stock air filter) will total to. ?

According to ELD + dynamic + map it should give me 47 WHP, so total how many PONIES my SCATOLETTA has. tia

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
On the road a stock 124 has about 150hp at the wheels. With a V1 and EDL it's going to be in the 190-200whp range under normal conditions. Of course when it's really hot out, it's going to be less.

Greg

·
Registered
956 Posts
The 124Spider has a drivetrain loss from clutch to wheel (Stock) from about 25-35hp (manual)
I believe that is a bit high. I would expect a loss of about 13%, which would be 21 hp + or -.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can believe what you want but no RWD front engine car has 13% loss from clutch over gearbox, Diff and Wheels to the ground.
Look at dyno charts and see the reality. A professional dyno shows always the drivetrain loss if you hit the clutch at the rev. limiter.

As an example: an EU Abarth 124Spider with heavy 18" wheels and automatic gearbox:

The turquoise curve shows the "Schleppleistung" that is what you lose from clutch to the street.
In that case: 53,7PS -> 27% loss

btw. that is why I will never understand people who put wider, larger and heavier wheels/tires on their cars.

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
There are dynos that can sort of measure power loss by doing a coast down check with the clutch in. However they are highly inaccurate, and are only usable for certain comparisons on similar cars. For example, lighter wheels or a dragging brake can both effect the results in the same way because they both reduce the time it takes to spin down, yet both obviously have totally different effects on acceleration when power is on. As far as I know, nobody outside of a major manufacturer can actually measure driveline losses, the rest of us are just making guesses, they are educated guesses and probably not far off, but not actual measurements.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts