Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm currently driving a 2017 Ecoboost Mustang. The turbo in my car kicks at 1750 RPM... so the supposed 3500 RPM kick in of the Classica, Lusso, & normal mode Abarth, seems like an eternity. I'm not looking for a 124 to be quicker... I'm simply trying to scratch a different itch... but I don't want a sloth either.

Frankly, I enjoy the driving characteristics of turbos... and prefer the looks of the 124 vs Miata... so that's why I'm leaning towards the 124. Then again, the Sport mode setting is available in all Miata trims, so a plus in their column.

From what I've read, the Sport mode setting in the Abarth drops that turbo kick in to 2500 RPM.

On paper, those numbers seem significantly different... does anyone have enough driving experience with the Sport vs Normal driving modes to comment on just how different the performance is when actually driving? I guess I'm more interested in the 30+MPH and up acceleration... not so much the street light drag racing acceleration... though that's nice too.

There's a dealer near me with 3x 2019 Lussos with the saddle interior, which I'd love. Plus, being 2019's, (new, leftovers, not used), I'd think that I could get them for a great price... but I'd pay more for the 2020 Abarth if it's significantly quicker. The closest Abarths are 2 hrs away... so I'm not going to just pop over to test drive them, lol.

Oh, and I'm talking automatic transmission here, not manual... and before all the but manual is so awesome comments come in... due to a gimped left leg, I can no longer drive an MT... tried with a Miata and it was painful.

Any insight/advice that you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Lou

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The lusso even stock is at full boost by 3000rpm. However some maps are less.

Either way the threshold is quite high. Old engine design. Most VAG stuff manages 1700 peak torque.

On the plus side once mapped the upper reaches of the rev range feel much more alive than the 2.3 mustang I rented in america. So its horses for courses.

In terms of acceleration once on it, I around 4.4s 40-70 in 3rd.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I have the EDL race + map, when I put the sports mode, I get a little noticable kick, when in the tunnel car exhaust roars compare to sports mode off. It's like day and evening, now those who changed the turbo, stage 2 or 3 what I heard is like night and day.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
There is a very noticable difference when engaging sport mode, but you should be able to accomplish a similar level of engine performance by purchasing a tune. What you would not get with a tune are the other features that engage when sport mode is enabled. You can search for threads here that speak to those other characteristics. Then you can decide if you want to go Lusso or Classica with a tune, or spend more on an Abarth. I know how'd I'd deal with that, but you might say my opinion is somewhat biased. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both.

I'm not really a "modding" kind of guy. The Mustang can actually get a Ford made tune, so it doesn't violate the warranty, for only $700 + 2 hr labor... and I still never bothered, lol.

But, it's sounding like the difference between driving an Abarth in Sport mode, vs a Lusso without it, is minimal at best. At least as far as any giddy up and go is concerned?

I'm really thinking... HOPING... that I could get an extremely aggressive offer on a left over 2019 Lusso vs a 2020 Abarth that would make me think... "Sport mode? Never heard of it..." :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, if course I post my latest before reading your comment, lol.

Actually, I've looked up the differences, but "on paper" is one thing, real world application another.
  • sharper throttle response due to different ECU mappings of the throttle body and Multi-Air control of the inlet valves
  • torque curve shifted lower in the power band in ECU due to allowing turbo boost at 2500 rpm, rather than at 3200 rpm
  • automatic transmission shift calibrations are changed due to different TCM mappings, so that gears are held longer, and shifts are made quicker
  • reduces the degree of electric power assist in the steering (heavier) due to different PSCM mappings, increasing steering feedback to the driver (along with a slight increase in effort)
  • relaxed Dynamic Stability Control by adjusting the limits at which stability control intervenes
There is a very noticable difference when engaging sport mode, but you should be able to accomplish a similar level of engine performance by purchasing a tune. What you would not get with a tune are the other features that engage when sport mode is enabled. You can search for threads here that speak to those other characteristics. Then you can decide if you want to go Lusso or Classica with a tune, or spend more on an Abarth. I know how'd I'd deal with that, but you might say my opinion is somewhat biased. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If you are not the modding type I'd go abarth. I love the lusso but it needs some work (to me) to get it how it should be. The abarth is nearly there stock with decent power, better ride height, good noise and the trim bits.

I'm super happy with my Lusso and didnt care for abarth trim but I quite enjoy the modding part !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weeeeeelllll... I suppose "types" can change, lol.

I suppose if I could get one of those 2019 Lussos cheaply enough... there'd be some room to mod a little bit.

I guess I never did it with my Mustang because frankly, I was perfectly happy with it "as is," might also be with a Lusso. While very similar, I do prefer the Lusso looks, and definitely like the saddle color interior.

I guess if I did get the Lusso, and wasn't content with the giddy up, from what I'm reading I can get a modest tune pretty inexpensively... I'd be worried about warranty though... that would be my biggest concern.

We all know how it works... no tune, no issues... get a tune, and it spends more time in the shop than the road, and so much for my son attending college, (which he starts this Fall), lol.
If you are not the modding type I'd go abarth. I love the lusso but it needs some work (to me) to get it how it should be. The abarth is nearly there stock with decent power, better ride height, good noise and the trim bits.

I'm super happy with my Lusso and didnt care for abarth trim but I quite enjoy the modding part !

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Understood. These things reliably make 200hp at the flywheel which is plenty. Lusso with springs, tune and exhaust gets you pretty close.

But yeah they are great standard. Lovely balanced sports cars as they are..cant go wrong !

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hmm, you are in the US so the power differences would be less. In the UK, for instance, the stock maps reduce the power by 30+ ponies on the Classica and Lusso. In the US (where HP differences are about 5HP) , if you add an ECU tune such as EC or Tork to any of the 3, you'll be making more HP and torque than stock so comparing a sport mode button to a tuned car is not apples to apples. As for kick, the boost comes on as said in the high 2k range and above that is the fun zone. Ride at around 2000RPM on long trips and you'll get great gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2018 Abarth
76 Posts
One thing that I see which doesn't get mentioned often n the Classica/Lusso vs. Abarth debate is the limited-slip differential. If that matters to you, then the Abarth is well worth it.

Before my tune, Sport mode made the throttle response more aggressive, and did seem punchier in lower revs. I don't have a boost gauge yet to quantify how much boost difference there is, if any.

With the tune, Sport mode is very noticeably different in power delivery than Standard mode.

FWIW I do also enjoy the steering weight change as well as the looser traction control in Sport mode.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True.

I guess I'm more and more toying with the idea of going Lusso, again if I can get a whopper of a deal on a left over 2019, and modding it just a bit if I'm not happy with the performance "as is," rather than paying more for the Abarth, whose looks I like a bit less, just because of the increased performance of the Sport mode.

Will start reading more on tuning value vs violating the warranty... probably a lot of info/opinions on that on this site.
Hmm, you are in the US so the power differences would be less. In the UK, for instance, the stock maps reduce the power by 30+ ponies on the Classica and Lusso. In the US (where HP differences are about 5HP) , if you add an ECU tune such as EC or Tork to any of the 3, you'll be making more HP and torque than stock so comparing a sport mode button to a tuned car is not apples to apples. As for kick, the boost comes on as said in the high 2k range and above that is the fun zone. Ride at around 2000RPM on long trips and you'll get great gas mileage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, but no, I'm not the type of spirited driver really for whom an LSD would really matter, but I much appreciate you bringing it up.
One thing that I see which doesn't get mentioned often n the Classica/Lusso vs. Abarth debate is the limited-slip differential. If that matters to you, then the Abarth is well worth it.

Before my tune, Sport mode made the throttle response more aggressive, and did seem punchier in lower revs. I don't have a boost gauge yet to quantify how much boost difference there is, if any.

With the tune, Sport mode is very noticeably different in power delivery than Standard mode.

FWIW I do also enjoy the steering weight change as well as the looser traction control in Sport mode.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I can't speak to the automatic, but in the manual Sport mode is very noticeable, especially when enabled while in gear.

If you don't want to mod, I suggest the Abarth for the Sport mode, LSD, and stiffer suspension. But if you're going to mod and the Lusso is much cheaper, you can get it to Abarth levels and beyond for not a whole lotta scratch.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you.

Now, ultimately I will drive both trims, but trying to gather thoughts & opinions ahead of time as well.

Frankly, one of the things I think I'd prefer about the Lusso is, according to every review, article and YouTube alike, agrees that the Lusso is a softer, less jarring, to each his own "more comfortable" ride... and I'd prefer that.

Honestly, the only thing that I would potentially like more... as I keep saying "on paper," without having seen or driven either in person yet... in the Abarth is a bit more giddy up from the Sport mode.

Driving both, seeing both... frankly pricing both... will be the final decision maker... but reading people's thoughts who have actually experienced these differences does give me things/info to consider.

I can't speak to the automatic, but in the manual Sport mode is very noticeable, especially when enabled while in gear.

If you don't want to mod, I suggest the Abarth for the Sport mode, LSD, and stiffer suspension. But if you're going to mod and the Lusso is much cheaper, you can get it to Abarth levels and beyond for not a whole lotta scratch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the Lusso is more up your alley. I test drove a stock Lusso right after test driving new MX-5 Sport and Club models, and it was immediate to me the 124 is more what I was looking for. In the end, glad I snagged the Abarth, however.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thank you.

Now, ultimately I will drive both trims, but trying to gather thoughts & opinions ahead of time as well.

Frankly, one of the things I think I'd prefer about the Lusso is, according to every review, article and YouTube alike, agrees that the Lusso is a softer, less jarring, to each his own "more comfortable" ride... and I'd prefer that.

Honestly, the only thing that I would potentially like more... as I keep saying "on paper," without having seen or driven either in person yet... in the Abarth is a bit more giddy up from the Sport mode.

Driving both, seeing both... frankly pricing both... will be the final decision maker... but reading people's thoughts who have actually experienced these differences does give me things/info to consider.
I was pleasantly surprised by the Abarth’s ride, especially considering how badly overinflated its tires were. Sport mode is definitely noticeable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the site with the 3x 2019 Lussos.

The "discounted" price they're showing is ridiculous for a 2020, let alone a 2019, ($90 gets me membership to the SCCA, and then guaranteed S-Plan pricing from Mazda), and the 3.98% APR vs Mazda's 0.0% for 60 months, 0.9% for 72 months is also a joke. I'll have to see how much better they'll do... which for leftover 2019s, on a discontinued after 2020 vehicle... better be orders of magnitude better, lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was comparing automatic Lussos and Abarths while shopping. I was actually looking for a reason to go with a Lusso since I (slightly) preferred the look and the prices were better. Ultimately the driving characteristics of the Abarth won me over. I can confirm, as other's have, that sport mode is certainly noticeable. Another thing to consider is the Lusso's lack of paddle shifters. I enjoy having those on the Abarth. (I do believe with a bit of work they can be installed on a Lusso as one member on here has done.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you.

For sure it will come down to actually driving, seeing, pricing, so like you... while leaning Lusso "on paper," I may end up preferring the Abarth.

One thing you said though cracks me up...

I like "rowing" through the gears in my Mustang... which ONLY has paddle shifters, you can't use the stick, and I've always hated that because it for sure isn't as "MT" like as using the stick would be, lol.

The Abarth though has both methods available, and options are good things.

I was comparing automatic Lussos and Abarths while shopping. I was actually looking for a reason to go with a Lusso since I (slightly) preferred the look and the prices were better. Ultimately the driving characteristics of the Abarth won me over. I can confirm, as other's have, that sport mode is certainly noticeable. Another thing to consider is the Lusso's lack of paddle shifters. I enjoy having those on the Abarth. (I do believe with a bit of work they can be installed on a Lusso as one member on here has done.)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts