Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To Clone Your Fiat Spider's Navigation SD Card on a Windows PC (you don't need special software)

24K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  pikeman 
#1 · (Edited)
Clone (noun) "one that appears to be a copy of an original form"
Clone (verb) "to make a copy of"
Navigation (noun) "the science of getting ships, aircraft or spacecraft from place to place"

Source: Merriam-Webster English Language Dictionary

The following is a step by step process that you can follow to create a functional backup copy of your OEM Navigation SD card that can be used in your current generation Fiat 124 Spider, thus allowing you to put your original in a safe place. That way if anything ever happens to the the copy you have produced, you can easily create another replacement. These instructions are provided as is and at the discretion and risk of the reader to utilize if they choose to do so. The author of the instructions neither provides nor implies any warranty and accepts no liability for their use.

If you are attempting to use these instructions to create a clone of the nav card for any other vehicle and/or any other manufacturer and the process doesn't work... I can't help you with that. Please take those concerns to a forum specific to the vehicle you own.

First, I'll give you the basic syntax for those of you that have more desktop experience. Then I'll follow that with detailed instructions for those that don't do this sort of thing very often.

How to lock and unlock your SD card (protecting your OEM asset):

Slide the tab on the left side of the card down to the lock symbol (The image below shows an example of an SD card' with a grey lock tab in the unlocked position. Not all SD cards show the lock info printed on the label, but they do all follow the same arrangement... up for unlocked, and down for locked.)...
Rectangle Font Computer data storage Electric blue Slope

Short version:

Lock your OEM SD card, and insert it in your computer. Insert your new blank SD card in the computer. In Windows Explorer, confirm the drive letter assigned to each SD card. Format the blank SD card as FAT32, and leave the volume name blank (the OEM SD card doesn't have a name either). As a safety consideration, even if my blank SD shows up as already formatted to FAT32, I do it again, and I don't use the quick format option. That allows the card to be thoroughly tested and any potential bad sectors excluded. For the sake of this example, let's assume your OEM SD card mapped to Drive E: and your blank SD card mapped to Drive F. Open a CMD window and type the following (I'm using a red lower case s to denote where spaces need to be placed between the parameters):

XCOPYse:sf:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K

When the XCOPY process has completed, eject both cards and close your CMD and Windows Explorer windows. Remember to unlock the OEM SD card, and then tuck it away in safe place. You can then install the XCOPY you just created in your vehicle.

NB: If you can only access on SD card at a time, you can perform the XCOPY to your local hard drive, and do a second XCOPY to move the content from your hard drive to the new blank SD card.

Long Versions (two variations, one for those with two availableSD reading slots and a second for those with only one slot available):

Assumptions:

• You have a VIN locked OEM navigation card for your vehicle
    • VIN locked means you have purchased and installed an OEM navigation SD card in your vehicle, and driven the car more than 60 miles / 100 km since you installed the card.
  • You have access to a Windows PC with has either an SD card reader slot, or a USB attached SD card reader device
    • Instructions will be provided on how to perform the process on a machine that has only one available SD reader slot, and for those with two available SD slots
  • You have purchased a blank Class 10 SD card in either 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB size
    • These are readily available through online resellers like Amazon, or places like WalMart, or pretty much any electronics shop that sells items like USB sticks
  • You know how to use Windows Explorer, and how to identify drive letters that your SD cards will be assigned when it is inserted in your computer for use

Process Option A: (two SD reading slots available):
  1. Remove the VIN locked SD Navigation card from your car
    1. If you're unsure how to do this, refer to your owner's manual
  2. Slide the tab on the side of the SD card to the "locked" position
    1. This will prevent you from accidentally overwriting or damaging the contents of your OEM navigation card
  3. Insert your newly purchased empty SD card into your computer
    1. If your computer has a built in SD card reader, just insert the empty SD card into that slot, or,
    2. If your computer does not have a built in card reader, connect your USB card reader into one of your USB ports on your computer, and insert your blank SD card in that reader
  4. By now, a Windows Explorer window should have popped up, but if not, just open Windows Explorer
    1. Scroll down, and expand the item called "computer", and note the Drive letters that have been assigned to your OEM sd card and your empty SD card
    2. For the sake of this example, assume the OEM SD card was assigned to Drive E: and the empty SD card has been assigned to Drive F:
      1. If your drives have been assigned different letters than E: and F:, use the letters that were assigned on your computer instead
    3. Format the empty SD card to FAT32
      1. Right click on Drive F: (your empty SD card)
      2. Click on the "format" option
      3. In the requstor window that pops up, leave the volume name empty
      4. Make sure FAT32 is selected as the File System type
      5. DO NOT select fast format
      6. Accept the options and allow the card to be formatted
      7. Once complete, you can move to the next step
  5. Click on the "round Windows icon" on the very bottom left of your screen, and in the "start search" area, type CMD... you'll notice a command called CMD appear at the top of the results list. Left click on that command icon.
    1. A DOS Command (CMD) windows will now open on your screen... typically black with white lettering inside
    2. In that CMD window, type the following exactly as shown here (I'm using a red lower case s to denote where spaces need to be placed between the parameters... don't type an "s", hit the spacebar to insert a space in that location):

XCOPYse:sf:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K

When the XCOPY process has completed, you can close your CMD and Windows Explorer windows.

3. In the very bottom right of your computer screen (the system tray area, with all the small icons), you'll see one that shows USB attachments.
      1. Left click on that icon, and your USB/SD card will be listed.
      2. Click on each one to eject them
      3. The computer will pop up a message saying it's now safe to remove that drive (SD card)... do so
      4. Repeat for the second SD card
  6. Remember to unlock the OEM SD card, and then tuck it away in safe place. You can then install the XCOPY you just created in your vehicle.
  7. You're done!

Process Option B: (only one SD reading slot available, will use computer hard drive as transfer drive):
  1. Remove the VIN locked SD Navigation card from your car
    1. If you're unsure how to do this, refer to your owner's manual
  2. Slide the tab on the side of the SD card to the "locked" position
    1. This will prevent you from accidentally overwriting or damaging the contents of your OEM navigation card
  3. Insert your OEM nav SD card into your computer
    1. If your computer has a built in SD card reader, just insert the empty SD card into that slot, or,
    2. If your computer doesn't have a built in card reader, connect your USB card reader into one of your USB ports on your computer, and insert your blank SD card in that reader
  4. By now, a Windows Explorer window should have popped up, but if not, just open Windows Explorer
    1. Scroll down, and expand the item called "computer", and note the Drive letter that has been assigned to your OEM sd card
    2. For the sake of this example, assume the OEM SD card was assigned to Drive E:
      1. If your OEM SD card is assigned to a different letter than E, use that letter instead when following the instructions and syntax example below
  5. Create a folder on your C: drive called "OEMSDCARD". All one word, no spaces. It should show up as c:/OEMSDCARD
    1. This is where we will copy the content from your OEM card so we can later transfer it to your new, empty SD card
  6. Click on the "round Windows icon" on the very bottom left of your screen, and in the "start search" area, type CMD... you'll notice a command called CMD appear at the top of the results list. Left click on that command icon.
    1. A DOS Command (CMD) windows will now open on your screen... typically black with white lettering inside
    2. In that CMD window, type the following exactly as shown here, and then press your "enter" key to execute the command (I'm using a red lower case s to denote where spaces need to be placed between the parameters... don't type an "s", hit the spacebar to insert a space in that location):

XCOPYse:sc:\OEMSDCARDs/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K

When the XCOPY process has completed, eject the OEM SD card and remember to unlock the tab on the side of it. Tuck it away in a safe place.
    3. Leave the CMD window open, as we'll use it again in a few moments
  7. In the very bottom right of your computer screen (the system tray area, with all the small icons), you'll see one that shows USB attachments.
    1. Left click on that icon, and your USB/SD OEM SD card will be listed.
    2. Click on it to eject them
    3. The computer will pop up a message saying it's now safe to remove that drive (SD card)... do so
  8. Now we'll prepare the empty SD card. Insert your new, empty SD card into your computer
    2. If your computer doesn't have a built in card reader, connect your USB card reader into one of your USB ports on your computer, and insert your blank SD card in that reader
  9. By now, a Windows Explorer window should have popped up, but if not, just open Windows Explorer
    1. Scroll down, and expand the item called "computer", and note the Drive letter that has been assigned to your empty SD card
    2. For the sake of this example, assume the empty SD card was assigned to Drive F:
      1. If your OEM SD card is assigned to a different letter than E, use that letter instead when following the instructions and syntax example below
    3. Format the empty SD card to FAT32
      1. Right click on Drive F: (your empty SD card)
      2. Click on the "format" option
      3. In the requstor window that pops up, leave the volume name empty
      4. Make sure FAT32 is selected as the File System type
      5. DO NOT select fast format
      6. Accept the options and allow the card to be formatted
      7. Once complete, you can move to the next step where we'll copy the content from your C:/OEMSDCARD folder to the freshly formatted empty SD card
    4. Go back to your CMD window that you left open from step 6.3 above
    5. In that CMD window, type the following exactly as shown here, and then press your "enter" key to execute the command (I'm using a red lower case s to denote where spaces need to be placed between the parameters... don't type an "s", hit the spacebar to insert a space in that location):

XCOPYsc:\OEMSDCARDsf:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K

When the XCOPY process has completed, eject the new SD card
    6. In the very bottom right of your computer screen (the system tray area, with all the small icons), you'll see one that shows USB attachments.
      1. Left click on that icon, and your new USB/SD card will be listed.
      2. Click on it to eject it
  10. You can now delete the folder c:\oemsdcard and all of it's contents. It is only needed as a temporary transfer location and now that your new SD nav card has been created, this temporary file storage is no longer required.
  11. Take the new card out to your vehicle and insert it for use
  12. You're done!

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes, it's in the instructions. :)
There are two versions of the process, one for folks with two slots (process Option A), and another for folks with one (process Option B). Read further down till you see Option B.... that's what you're looking for.

#11 ·
Well, you could, but it would be pointless, as you'd have to repeat the process a second time whenever you get around to updating the content via the NaviExtras portal and their desktop app. So just wait til you have driven the amount of distance to VIN lock the card in your vehicle, and clone it at that point.

#13 ·
You could use the process I outlined to clone pretty much any SD card... with the caveat being that the original isn't set up with some sort of nasty algorithm that prevents the basic (normal) copy process. Since I know absolutely nothing about a C Map marine navigation card, I'd say "give it a shot" If the copy process doesn't work, the only thing you've lost is some time.

I do know how to use a sextant though.... :)

#14 ·
Hi, I looked at this thread because I just updated my vehicle to android auto/apple car play on Sunday. My SD card is not detected but my Navigation screen still shows GPS coordinates. I tried your method to create a clone of my SD card and the vehicle says invalid card. Furthermore, I initially tried a simple copying of files from the original nav sd to a new sd card and the Navigation system in my car detected it, but apparently, crucial data wasn't present, such as streets etc. So what can I do now? My laptop has an SD reader but I do not have a second reader. Do you recommend I try again?

#15 ·
So i decided to try out win32disk imager and on the first try it worked. I did receive an error message, initially. I closed the program and prompted it to write to my blank SD card. Navigation works, I also updated the original SD card via Mazda Toolbox because I was eligible to beforehand. This provided me with some bonuses I was not aware of. Now I just have to check and see that android auto still works lol.It does!

#20 ·
This worked like a champ on my 2021 Mazda nav card. It has the added benefit that I used a new and fast SD card, and now navigation loads much faster!

I do suggest applying updates to the original card and re-cloning Just In Case something gets checked in the update process that wasn't preserved in the cloning process.

#21 ·
I do suggest applying updates to the original card and re-cloning Just In Case something gets checked in the update process that wasn't preserved in the cloning process.
Glad to hear it worked well for you.

Re-cloning isn't required. Once you've created the initial clone, there's no further need to repeat the cloning process unless you're making a new version on a new (previously unused) SD card. Any clone already made can be updated "back to back" with our OEM card. As soon as you finish using the Toolbox to update your OEM SD nav card, just repeat the update process a second time. It will be faster as it doesn't need to download the content from the Naviextras' servers again, and just skips from 0% to 100% content download in a few seconds, and then kicks off the copy content to the card phase.

That said, if you find making the clone is faster than updating using the Toolbox app, then there's no harm in proceeding to re-create the clone. But there's nothing lost in the update process itself that warrants the cloning to be repeated ad infinitum.

I am however, intrigued by what you mention about faster response in the vehicle. Aside from using an 8GB (or larger) class 10 SD card, what spec is the speed of the card you made your clone with? Are you using something akin to a Sandisk extreme? What is the rated MB/s on the new card you set up?

#25 ·
Okay, I'm confused. Which car are you saying told you it's not a Nissan SD card? Are you a Fiat 124 Spider owner, or are you a Nissan owner trying to use my instructions to make a clone of your Nissan card for use in your Nissan vehicle?

If it's the latter, I'm sorry but I can't help you. My instructions would be good to make an exact duplicate of any SD card and it's contents for whatever purpose, but I cannot tell you what processes Nissan might have in place to track their nav cards sold for their vehicles.

But if you're saying you cloned your Nissan Xtrail's navigation SD card and tried to use it in your Spider.... for sure that wouldn't work as you need an SD card with data on it specific to the model of vehicle you're going to use it in, and the navigation system it would be read by. We can't even use Mazda SD navigation cards in our Spiders, even though they share the same Mazda infotainment system. If you're a Fiat 124 Spider owner, you need to either purchase one from a dealer... or you can try your luck with those sold on the Internet... which may or may not function because most of those are illegitimate copies and NaviExtras (the folks that provide our card content) are onto that game and now look for those copies and block them from access to any updated content.

If you're a Nissan owner looking for a Nissan solution, let's carry this conversation on via private messaging here on the forum, so we don't muddy this thread with non-relevant content.

#26 ·
@CDPond Calving I finally kicked myself in the azz and copied the SD map card on my Hard Drive. XCOPYsc:\OEMSDCARDsf:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K the SD was on F:

But noticed that the copied file is smaller then the SD.
c: drive 5.62 GB (6,038,962,176 bytes)
sd 6,078,562,304
probably when I will copy it to an SD card, it will be the same since the SD card will contain extra bytes.

Drove the spider today, nice and sunny but tomorrow she will hybernate. Every summer is a memorable souvenir. Thanks

#27 · (Edited)
@CDPond Calving I finally kicked myself in the azz and copied the SD map card on my Hard Drive. XCOPYsc:\OEMSDCARDsf:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K the SD was on F:
But noticed that the copied file is smaller then the SD.
c: drive 5.62 GB (6,038,962,176 bytes)
sd 6,078,562,304
probably when I will copy it to an SD card, it will be the same since the SD card will contain extra bytes.
Drove the spider today, nice and sunny but tomorrow she will hybernate. Every summer is a memorable souvenir. Thanks
Please tell me you followed my instructions and locked your OEM SD card before you started any of this. Your post prompted me to edit my original instructions to make this very important step even more clear, as the last thing anyone wants to do is bugger up their navigation card.

Regarding different total file sizes, it could be from multiple things, including sector sizes used in the formatting of your hard drive versus whats used on the SD card. (It's a long story, and trust me, unless you have insomnia, you don't want to read it). So long as the syntax is followed you'll get a proper set of data to make your clone with when you get around to it.

The syntax line you've noted (XCOPYsc:\OEMSDCARDsf:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K) is the second step of the process... used to create your new clone SD card once you've copied the data to your hard drive. I am praying that in your reply (above) that you simply copied the wrong line from my instruction post. To copy your OEM nav card data from F: drive to your computer hard drive, you would have used the syntax:
XCOPY f: c:\OEMSDCARD /E /V /G /H /K
The red "s" that you see in my syntax examples at the start of this thread is meant to indicate a "space". Did what you enter look like what I've shown in blue text (above)? If you've followed the instructions exactly, you will end up with a functioning copy of your OEM SD nav card once you create it.

PS: Don't forget to unlock your OEM SD card before you put it back in your vehicle.

#28 ·
@CDPond Yes I did lock the SD card before copying. thanks

Reactions: CDPond
#29 ·
I'll be honest. You had me really worried with your post. If you hadn't locked the card, and used the syntax you said you did, you would have overwritten the content on it. I was certain you would have protected it by locking it, as you're pretty meticulous about your work. But still, it scared the crap out of me. Now I can stop having heart palpitations. :)

I'm in the process of getting my car ready for winter as well. We're getting some decent weather lately (24c this afternoon), so I'm trying to get as much fall driving in as I can before I do the fall oil change and get her ready for hibernation. You're getting ready to head down to Florida, right?

#30 ·
Calvin having worked in IT all my life, i took precautions. I inserted the Gps card and loaded correctly.
I copied twice on mY HD. I have to kick myself to copy it on anthor SD CARD.
Cant wait to head to Florida, we had no damages at the condo since I am on the other side FT. LAUDERDALE and 15km inland.

Reactions: CDPond
#32 ·
Hi @CDPond will this work from SD to microSD (using USB adapter) ?
In theory it should work, but my question is "Why, when full size SD cards are so inexpensive?".
what will be the best option to copy using USB adapter or using the only one available SD slot ?
My recommendation is to use what you have available. If you have a USB port and a USB adaptor, go that route and use the instructions for making copies with one slot available. Both options I list in my instructions will work for you.
please advise
More comments below...
Answers in blue text in your message above:

I don't think anyone else has used a micro-SD with an adaptor in their car (that I'm aware of), but you can always try it and report back on your test results. So long as you lock your original nav card before you begin the copy process, there's no risk other than potential wasted time.

It's a tested and known process with full size SD cards. If the laptop or desktop computer you're using does not have a full size SD card slot, then I would recommend you use an SD card reader connected to your USB port and follow the instructions for making a copy with only one slot available.

#33 ·
Has anyone got this to work with a Mazda nav card? I have a BHP166EZ1K card that works in the car but I can't get a clone to work. I've tried the xcopy method above on Windows and dd and ddrescue on Linux. I've tried a 8G full-size Panasonic card and a 128G micro SanDisk partitioned to 16G so Fat32 formatting works. I've tried formatting on Windows with explorer and power shell and on Linux with fdisk. I only have one sd slot so I'm using the copy to hd disk method. Any suggestions?

#34 · (Edited)
If you're talking about getting a Mazda nav card to work in a Fiat Spider, the short answer is that's not going to happen. Ever. And the part number you mentioned is a Mazda navigation card.

It has to be a card created for Fiat. Yes, the navigation system is the same, but the system is modified such that a Mazda vehicle won't recognize a Fiat card and the Fiat Spider won't recognize a Mazda card. Additionally, the Fiat version of the nav card will VIN lock to the vehicle after 100 km (60 miles) of driving. So again, if you're attempting to use a card that's been in another vehicle, that's not going to work.

If I've misunderstood what you're saying, please correct me and provide more details. The part number for the Fiat card is MOPAR SKU #68366118AA.

#35 ·
...and a somewhat related side note. You'll find a few threads on here that speak to buying discount Fiat nav cards off eBay and such. There was a recent thread from this fall where a few folks bought them, and they do work. Sort of... because of all the counterfeits that had been sold on the web, the company that provides the navigation updates now has a way of checking to see if the cloned card has been VIN locked to more than one vehicle. If so, they block the ability to update the content of the card. So the non-OEM card will work in your vehicle, but you'll never be able to update the content. Which is where you get into the challenge of having a chat with your dealer and seeing if they can source a Fiat card and how much they're going to charge for it. Take a deep breath before you have that chat, because the tag is likely going to be in the realm of $500 to $600. Because of that, some have chosen to do head unit replacements so they can enable Android Auto/Apple Carplay, and use the nav on their phone as an alternative.

#38 ·
@CDPond : resending paragraph, due to typo and meant to say c drive, but instead i saw a happy face.
"--- The error message it was because there was a file name USA_Kentucky.fbl, size=16.8 Mb that was unable to be either copied to computer (c: ) or from SD (OEM) to micro SD card. --- "
Okay, I now understand you're a Mazda owner, and that you're not trying to use a Mazda card in a Fiat vehicle.

I think you've covered most of the bases, but I'll make some observations that may (or may not) be of assistance to you.

Given the reboot issue you mention, I have a suspicion you may have a corrupted OEM navigation card, which would also explain why it hangs on the one file you mention that won't copy over for you. The symptoms you note have been seen by Fiat Spider owners as well, and it's typically tied to a buggered card. Not sure if you've ever updated the content via the NaviExtras site using the Mazda Toolbox, but.... depending upon your risk tolerance, that's something you could try. If you have an update to content pending installation, perhaps the new content would overwrite the corrupted file. To confirm, I am not telling you to do an update, I'm simply mentioning it's something you can think about. If it doesn't work, or makes the card worse, your only recourse will be to purchase a replacement card.

So long as:
  • you are not doing anything else on your computer during the copy process,
  • that you have adequate space on your PC hard drive for the copy,
  • that no other applications are open and running in the background,
  • and that any cables being used are in good condition and securely attached...
the xcopy process should successfully execute. I don't "think" you need to take all those precautions, but I suggest it as a means to isolate the issue and eliminate any potential external variables in the process.

Re: the micro SD, I've used them many times., both with and without the converter/holder. But I've never tried to use one in my Spider. You may need to buy a regular size SD card from Amazon, eBay, or another electronics store. You don't need a card larger than 16GB in capacity, and it should be a class 10 SD card. Ensure you have adequate space on your computer hard drive, and with a normal size SD card in hand, try the full process again. The infotainment head unit is touchy when it comes to certain things, so maybe there's something about the use of a micro SD card in a holder that it doesn't like. That is speculation on my part.

All I can tell you is that many people have used the xcopy processes I've documented successfully, so it's not the process, but rather something to do with your set up that is creating a problem. My suggestion is to get a normal SD card, delete the content you have on your PC, and start over from the beginning. That's all I can offer. I wish you luck, but if you can't get the xcopy to work using a full size SD card, then you're going to have to take really good care of your OEM card.

#39 ·
Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Like Mazda_usr, I'm also trying to clone a Mazda sd card for use in a Mazda without success. I purchased the original sd card from the dealer for $400 and when it died, they wanted another $400 to replace it. The card I got from Amazon that appears to be an obsolete but genuine Mazda card cost $50 and works fine. I'm beginning to suspect that Mazda has put something on the card that is opaque to Windows (Mazda toolbox likes my clone) but is detected by the car (which doesn't like my clone).

Anyway, thanks for your posts and if I ever figure this out, I'll post an update.

#40 ·
Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Like Mazda_usr, I'm also trying to clone a Mazda sd card for use in a Mazda without success. I purchased the original sd card from the dealer for $400 and when it died, they wanted another $400 to replace it. The card I got from Amazon that appears to be an obsolete but genuine Mazda card cost $50 and works fine. I'm beginning to suspect that Mazda has put something on the card that is opaque to Windows (Mazda toolbox likes my clone) but is detected by the car (which doesn't like my clone).
Anyway, thanks for your posts and if I ever figure this out, I'll post an update.
That's an interesting insight in regards to different card configuration, and it makes me think of a couple of things. Yes, it is possible that they've managed to incorporate something in their version of the nav data to prevent copying. Normally xcopy handles same for same duplication very well. This may well be Mazda's way of preventing fraudulent copies being made. Also of interest is that we can make clones of the Fiat card without any issues, and in fact, I use the clone in my vehicle and keep the OEM card tucked away in my study. If you manage to figure out what's going on, and though it would be of interest to folks here out of curiosity, it would be of more value to post it in the Mazda owners' forum where other Mazda owners could benefit from your discoveries.

But the other thing I was wondering about is how well the cards bought from online resellers work, in regards to the Mazda version of the nav card. The reason I mention this is that with respect to the Fiat version, there used to be a lot of copies of cards sold for low cost on Amazon and eBay, and they used to work perfectly (according to those who bought them), including the ability to use the Toolbox app to update the content. What I believe was going on was that someone would buy an OEM card, and before it got VIN locked, they'd make lots of copies and sold them online. But around a year ago, it seems NaviExtras (I'm assuming the Mazda Toolbox app points to NaviExtras for updates as well), figured out what was going on and they now seem to be keeping track of card IDs in relation to VINs. So as soon as a card ID shows up under more than one VIN, it then gets identified as fraudulent and blocked from any updates. People can still use the cards in their cars, but simply can't ever update content.

Reactions: CXXIV
This post has been deleted
#42 ·
Regarding microSD, and XCopy...
I bought this:
Amazon.com: SanDisk 32GB Ultra microSDHC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - 120MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, Micro SD Card - SDSQUA4-032G-GN6MA
...copied the backup set of files I have in a folder on my PC to it, ran the toolbox update on it, and it works fine (with its SD adapter) in my 124. I've never bothered with XCopy for this (nor the lock tab, nor formatting) just Windows 11's File Explorer using select-all and copy/paste.
Glad the copy and paste worked okay for you. That wasn't the case prior to Windows 11 and this is the first I've heard of a straight copy and paste process actually being successful. Not everyone has taken the plunge yet to get on the upgrade bandwagon. I'll be waiting for at least another year before I consider it as I have more to lose than gain from upgrading now.

Once a person has a functional back up copy of their nav card, the whole card locking the OEM card bit isn't as necessary. But first time around, it's simply a smart thing to do, especially for those that may not have comfort with file manipulation practices (many don't). IMHO it's not good to suggest safe handling practices be bypassed, especially given how difficult it is to source nav cards now, and the associated cost of buying a legit version if a person buggers up their one and only card. It would be a disservice to fellow forum members to suggest otherwise.

Good to get a confirmation that a micro SD and an adapter will work okay, especially since it seems like the micro SD's are becoming more common than the full size SD cards. It seems the whole thing about the copy process not working is related to a couple of Mazda owners with Mazda nav SD cards. Best guess is that Mazda did something in the configuration of those cards content that prohibits clones being successfully made. Thankfully, that's something Fiat didn't emulate with our version.

Thank you for testing and confirming a micro SD and adapter works with our vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.