Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Santtu
Created an account on here purposefully to thank you for your fantastic guide - thanks so much for the time you spent making this!
I have an Abarth 124 GT that I received new a few months ago, so I’m not sure it’ll be exactly the same config as yours, but at least I could tackle the rear windshield electric cable problem the other way round, as my car arrived with the carbon roof already fitted and my challenge was figuring out how to remove it! But I had no trouble locating the cable so hopefully I can help you out. The weather is wonderful so I’ll be removing the roof again today and I’ll take some pictures that I’ll post here. It is indeed a real hassle fiddling around with the inside bolts in that impossible position!

·
Registered
20 Posts
So when I got my car out after posting the previous message within minutes it was covered in a fine yellow dust - clouds of pollen were everywhere so it was a bad idea to get the roof off that day. I've done it since but forgot to put the photos up here. Here they are !

I'm hopeless with forums so it appears to have flipped my photos on their side...
The photo with my hand shows the two sockets that are clipped together when the soft-top is in use. As you can see, they are merged together as one cable with the possibility to unclip them so you can clip the hardtop into one of them. FCA has basically taken a straight cable and made a loop in it where they can unclip the contactors. Regarding Stefano Ciriani's comment, I wouldn't be surprised if this system didn't exist before FCA decided they were going to make an adaptable hard-top. So I really hope you actually do have this! Otherwise it should be possible for your dealership to fit it to your existing wiring I guess - it's not rocket science.

The second photo where you can see a bit of rear windscreen is where the wire originates. It feeds behind the canvas at that point so maybe try pulling from there and see what comes out!

The last photo isn't very clear, sorry, but it shows where the wire comes out the other side of the canvas. It's just above the seatbelt that you can see on the photo there.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Santtu and thanks for the amazing post about the Mopar Hard top! I wanted to ask you if the omolagation number (or plate) of your 124 abarth respects the requirements written on Mopar and Italo-welt websites (e3*2007/46*0474*.. With last numbers higher than 03 (eg. e3*2007/46*0474*03, e3*2007/46*0474*04…)).
My question originates from the fact that I found a very nice used 124 abarth turismo from 2017 but the omolation number does not respect this requirement and I will really need to install the hardtop...
Thanks!

Ps: imho that omolation number refers only to 124 abarth Gt's, since it is sold as a spare part

I have a Fiat 124 Spider Lusso, year 2018. Not Abarth. I am not sure what you are asking for, what are those requirements and why would it matter?

Sorry it took a while to get back, did not notice this post earlier.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Created an account on here purposefully to thank you for your fantastic guide - thanks so much for the time you spent making this!
You are welcome!

I have an Abarth 124 GT that I received new a few months ago, so I’m not sure it’ll be exactly the same config as yours, but at least I could tackle the rear windshield electric cable problem the other way round, as my car arrived with the carbon roof already fitted and my challenge was figuring out how to remove it! But I had no trouble locating the cable so hopefully I can help you out.

Based on what I have seen on this site so far about Abarths the config is exactly the same between Abarth and Fiat 124 Spiders. Your additional pictures would be hugely appreciated, I ended up driving the winter without the defroster connected due to my failure in finding the cable connector. Maybe now in spring when I will store the hardtop for summer I'll have another good look at this. Your images would be most welcome.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm sure that at some point when I remove the hardtop I will forget those in place, and then in her first run, they fly away.

GUESS WHAT!!! I forgot those **** sponges in place when I removed the hard top, and then they flew away on first run before I remembered to take the dimensions.

Now I need to manufacture those (not too hard, though) based on gut feeling for next winter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It appears if I post anything with photos mods refuse my post as I have tried several times on different topics (including just trying to introduce myself) and every time my posts never appear except if they're just short ones with only text.

I sent the photos to Santtu via email in case he wants to share them here but it appears I can't really participate much for some reason. If anyone wishes to get in touch with me via PM/email please don't hesitate!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aaaah so that's what it is!! I figured it might be that. That's a shame - they should store your post as a draft so you can post it once you have the correct privileges.

I stumbled upon your article a few days ago - thank you for the wonderful level of detail on things that hadn't even crossed my mind such as the wheel offset. I wish I had found it earlier though, as finding info and buying this car was an absolutely nightmarish experience (a longer story for another time!) despite working in car sales myself...

As you mention in your article, it would be great to get confirmation from FCA/Mazda that you can hang the roof from the two little tabs, as the design I've gone with for my roof storage (photos to come at some point haha) relies in part on that principle (with most of the weight being held from below nevertheless).

Also is the guy you credit as Philip Stevens in your article on here? I've being looking for similar brake rotors to his and would love to get in touch with him to ask him about them.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys! I just bought a 124 abarth GT with carbon fiber roof and I'm totally in love, apart from one thing... When they delivered my car it came without manual for the hard top part! I tried to retrieve that but the dealership is still "working on it".
In the meanwhile I dismounted and mounted the hard top following the instructions from Santtu (thanks so much!) but now I suffer from some bad cracking noises from the hardtop, like rubbing of roof with the body due to bending. I was wondering if there is some manual related to torque values of screws available or if anyone has experienced this before?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
In the meanwhile I dismounted and mounted the hard top following the instructions from Santtu (thanks so much!) but now I suffer from some bad cracking noises from the hardtop, like rubbing of roof with the body due to bending. I was wondering if there is some manual related to torque values of screws available or if anyone has experienced this before?
I tensioned the screws gradually and so that in between I also once opened the roof latch once to remove all tension. Thus don't tighten the screws to max at one go, but tighten them gradually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tensioned the screws gradually and so that in between I also once opened the roof latch once to remove all tension. Thus don't tighten the screws to max at one go, but tighten them gradually.
Hi Santtu, thanks for the advice!
I tried it but it didn't change the situation much... I noticed that when it was raining and the following day (still wet car) the noise was gone! I suspect that I have to grease the rear mounting points for torx and perhaps insert a washer.
BTW my car came w/o any washer between torx and hardtop, like yours...
I did not understand if you have any noise problem with your hardtop, maybe it could be this

·
Registered
167 Posts
I sent the photos to Santtu via email

Thanks, got the issue sorted out! The instructions are in fact as follows, updated and added steps in red:

Roof mounting really brief:

1. Disconnect soft top rear window heater wire and connect the hard top wire extension harness
  2. Soft top open and in the rear position
  3. Trunk lid open
  4. Remove slabs and millennium falcons
  5. Put the hardtop in place with a friend and latch it to the edge of the windshield same way as the soft top is latched.
  6. Screw in the two bolts at the slab holes
  7. Close trunk lid
  8. Install the two brackets and screw in their bolts near the B-beam
  9. Connect the rear window heater connection to the wire harness extension added at step #1

L

·
0 Posts
Does anyone have a contact to bring the hard top to the states I’ve tried the dealer and they are no help here in south Florida with the heat and rain it would be nice to be able to save the soft top some wear and tear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
211 Posts
+1 I'd like to get my hands on one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Storing your hardtop at garage ceiling

I have a concrete roof in my garage and I keep on hanging stuff up away from walls. Therefore I decided to hang my hardtop for summer at the ceiling of my garage.

I happened to have all kinds of leftover hooks and bolts from various projects so I scrapped what I just had on my garage for the kit. Turned out that the hooks I had were super good for the shape and angle; Easy to hook the hardtop in to them, and then turn up for final attachment.

Full story (in Finnish) and full size pics here: https://luupilotti.blogspot.com/2019/05/hiivatin-katto-kattoon.html

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a concrete roof in my garage and I keep on hanging stuff up away from walls. Therefore I decided to hang my hardtop for summer at the ceiling of my garage.

I happened to have all kinds of leftover hooks and bolts from various projects so I scrapped what I just had on my garage for the kit. Turned out that the hooks I had were super good for the shape and angle; Easy to hook the hardtop in to them, and then turn up for final attachment.

Full story (in Finnish) and full size pics here: https://luupilotti.blogspot.com/2019/05/hiivatin-katto-kattoon.html
This is brilliant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I'm interested as well to the hand top. Many thanks with your post . Unfortunately i can't understand very well how to fix the brackets. Could you post some others pictures? Or a video? Many thanks.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts