Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Unfortunately i can't understand very well how to fix the brackets. Could you post some others pictures? Or a video?
Taking pictures or video from the installing of those B-column brackets (posts #6 to #9 on first page of this thread) is super difficult as the location is tight and cramped. Fitting a tool, hand and camera in there will he difficult and even if done, viewer understanding the picture orientation will still be difficult.

Once you have your roof at hand, and the brackets, you can mock them up on their location (test also that the bolts will go actually in to threads in the roof before installing) and you will get it.

Identifying between left and right bracket is a subject of trial and error with the roof on car, once you identify those mark it so that you do not need to test this every single time you install.

For this winter I am also considering picking up much shorter M8 bolts for easier install. I do not quite understand why the roof came with 5cm (~2") of threads where half of that would do just fine. The location of the bolts is very cramped and they are difficult to screw, and the lenght of stock bolts is just excessive. In the roof itself the threads are not that long so that does not justify such a long bolts, either...

I'll be installing my hard top this weekend, our cabrio season here in Finland is pretty much over. But we have a wonderfully bright Autumn colors on trees (if there is sun instead of rain & clouds, that is).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, i bought the hard top but i couldn't find the cable for the rear windows in my car.. i've a 2019 spider so i'm sure there is the cable.. but where? can someone take a picture for me? thanks in advance

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Hi guys, i bought the hard top but i couldn't find the cable for the rear windows in my car.. i've a 2019 spider so i'm sure there is the cable.. but where? can someone take a picture for me? thanks in advance
I also had a lot of difficulty in locating this connector and several people sent me pictures to help. Perhaps this illustration is best there is:

and I just took a photo of the connector place by the window:

plus another picture with the extension cable in place and loop connected for summer mode:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
...and if there are more people out there without the extension cable here is the label for it:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Santtu, i hope i can disconnect the cable without unmount the hard top.. i don't want to reinstall it :cry:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Thank you Santtu, i hope i can disconnect the cable without unmount the hard top.. i don't want to reinstall it :cry:
I do not think there is any way for you to connect the cable after you have installed your hard top. This is where the owners manual goes horribly wrong. Unfortunately my post #1 was also wrong for the sequence (as I could not edit it when I learned this, forum does not allow editing old posts). Fixed this in post #32 under this same topic.

For last winter I ended up removing the fuse as a precaution for not to heat up the folded soft top accidentally or by a guest driver (my son, wife etc). It was not a problem, the cabin is so small that it heats up just fine without the rear window heater.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I swapped the original M8x55 8.8 bolts to M8x30 10.9 bolts. I cannot fathom why the roof designer included such a long bolt where the threads on roof are quite short, and the place to screw it is in small, tight, miserable, will require funny poses and aircraft mechanics fingers. Shorter bolt will do the same and be radically easier to screw in. Basic rule of engineering: A bolt will carry if it is both on treads for it's width and tightened correctly. Original at the bottom, new replacement at the top:

As I said in post #25 I forgot those sponges last spring and lost them. I manufactured new ones. Did not bother to finish those pretty, it does not matter as those are totally hidden between the hard top and car:

Winter is coming but I am ready for it. Atleast for roof, that is:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Then comes the hard part. Mount the other two bolts and support brackets on each side where a B column would be. The brackets come inside just behind the door and the place is difficult and tight to operate with.

Note that the brackets are not identical, they are mirror images of each other. They are not marked for side so you need to do some testing. I tried several times on both sides untill I was convinced I had it right. After this I labeled brackets for L and R for the future.

The hook at the end of the bracket goes around the soft top seal. When tightening the brackets one must be careful not to squeeze and brake that seal.

Placing the bracket and bolt in the correct position, and then screwing the bolt requires aircraft mechanic's fingers. For me the left side went in quite painlessly (bolt in the below picture halfway in) after I figured out following posture; Screw it facing forward of the car with right hand behind my back while supporting my body with the left hand from the threshold of the door. Nope, cannot see what you are doing unless you have an eye in your but. A second posture is more sensible but less fun to explain, you will figure your postures out when you are installing your bolts.

I put the bracket fork hidden inside the roof upholstery.
Could you better explain please? Could you post a video o more pictures?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts